Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Recommendations for an 03 4 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Recommendations for an 03 4 Runner

Well guys. Before winter rears it's ugly head here in New England, I'm looking to ditch my Dunflops for some new sneakers. I was leaning towards the Revo's, but I'm starting to think that they may be too aggressive for my daily driver. My truck never sees offroad conditions, so I'm looking for a tire that's smooth and fairly quiet on the highway with decent snow and wet condition traction (I'm trying to find an happy medium here). Here's some tires that were suggested...

Revo's (maybe a bit too agressive and noisy for my likeing???)

Toyo Open Countries ( No experience with these)

Michelin Cross Terrains ( I've heard of poor treadlife and soft sidewalls on these tires. Supposedly for the price they aren't that great)

Michelin LTX M/S ( I had these put on my last two SUV's. They're really good tires)

What's others feelings and thoughts based on my driving circumstances? I do about 50/50 city highway.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 PM

From my experience, I would recommend the REVOs. I have a set for my '03 for winter use, and couldn't be more happy with them. They barely make any more noise that the stock Bridgestone H/Ts, and they are the BEST wet traction tires I have ever owned. Pretty good in the white stuff too.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:23 PM

Michelin LTX M/S - if you're happy with them, stick with them.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

If you're never gonna go off road then just stick with the Michelins since anything A/T would be a bit much unless you just like the look.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:38 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
There was nothing AT on his list. Even the Revos are just a street tire.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Nic

I've recently replaced my DunFlops for Michelin LTX M/Ss and I love them. I was worried about the M/Ss not being aggressive enough, but for what I do, it shouldn't be an issue. It was a little costly, but I think it has been money well spent. I have heard of few negatives on this tire-other than it is not a heavy duty offroad tire. I have Toyo brand tires on my 84 Camry and they have been good so far.-that's all I can say about that brand.

My vote is for the Michelin M/Ss.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Banned

ive got the Revos and they work great. They dont make a lot of noise at all. I dont do too much off-roading so they are perfect for me. They are also great in the rain, expecially for an AT tire. I havent had them in the snow yet. They also wear very well.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

i recommend either the Revos or Michelins ... i have never heard of anyone being disappointed with the performance of Revos, and i myself have never been disappointed with any of the Michelins i've run.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Now, your swaying me to the Revo's again. Doh! The guy at the tire place said the Revos are going to be louder than the Michelin's. My current Dunflops actually are fairly quiet. I know the Michelin LTX M/S is a nice riding, quiet tire. My biggest thing is the ride. I want a nice riding tire, especially if I'm to drop $500-$600.

Now, let me through another curve ball. Will the Revo's cause me to loose any MPG since they are more agressive? Techwrench, maybe you can answer this best since you have the same rig as I? I guess worst case I have 30 days to try the Revos? I really like the looks of them.

Here's the kicker. The Revo and Michelin LTX M/S are both the same price installed. I was quoted $605.00 for all 4. That $151 per tire. I still need to start playing one tire place vs. the other. I know I can shave another $50-$100 off the total. Locally, BJ's wholesale club usually runs a coupon for 1 week a month with $10-$15 off per tire, especially coming this fall. However, I can't get the Revo's at BJ's. Only the Michelin. Doh! What to do???
Old 08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

I just put the Revo's on. haven't noticed any more noise, They do pick up more rocks in the tread and toss them in the wheel well. They also look really cool.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

i still say Revos ... i just put mtrs on my '03 and those are supposed to be much louder -- i haven't noticed any major difference in noise level between those and my michelin x-country's, so if the Revos are indeed louder than stock, it certainly won't be so loud as to bother anyone riding with you.

(in my opinion, i mean)

if you are sticking with the same size, you shouldn't have much loss of mpgs
Old 08-24-2004, 07:21 PM

Another vote for Revo's.

Now that I have them I doubt I'll ever buy anything else!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced my DUnflops with Revo's (but went to 265/70/17).
In my experience they are louder than the DUnflops. I did get a mileage hit, but the tires are bigger and I did a lift. So I would suspect a slight mileage drop with Revo's vs the DUnflops.

On the flip side the Revo's gripped a lot better on road than the DUnflops, I wont even mention offroad.

But for your purposes the MIchelins would probably be the best bet, better mileage on tires, quiter and good onroad grip. I've heard great things about both the LTX and Cross terrians. You might want to check Tirerack ratings as well.

PS to Flamed lots of people are very happy with Revo's offroad, obviously they are not M/T's
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 AM

The REVO's may be a great all around tire but they look too cute on a real truck. I like the all business, more aggressive look of the BFG AT's.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Michelin LTX M/S - if you're happy with them, stick with them.
Michelin doesn't make this tire in a 265/65 17 configuration. Only 265/70 is available.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:38 AM

Personally, I think the Revo's look more aggressive than BFG A/T's.

I did not buy them for the street side of things, but rather because they are great at both handling the street with relatively low noise and holding their own on the offroad, which I spend a fair amount of time on, and they perform great.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:32 AM

The Revo's definately look sweet, no doubt about that. Calling around yesterday, people were asking me why I was looking for such an agreesive tire. Most of them recommended the LTX M/S or CrossTerrain for a daily around town tire. The Revo's are definately cheaper than the Michelins. Best price installed on the Revo's was $605.00. NTB would cut another 5% of the price and if I go across the NH boarder, there's no sales tax! So, how smooth are the Revo's on the highway. Do they stick like glue and are the weird to drive on at first? I imagine the slightest movement of the steering wheel an the tires take off in that direction. They get great reviews on Tire Rack. I just don't want my gas mileage to suffer either. With that, I don't want the truck ride to suffer either. These are my only two fears. I'm sticking with the same size, 265 70/16.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:58 AM

Dutch Man - I've been running Nokian WR A.W.P. 2 SUV tires for over a year. Great in the snow / slush / etc. that we experience here in VT. Can't remember what I paid, but lot's of folks run Nokian snow tires and yr round tires up here. Hope that helps
Old 08-26-2004, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 4run4fun
Personally, I think the Revo's look more aggressive than BFG A/T's.
Let's not get too carried away ok?

"Revo's look more aggressive than Bfg ATs?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by RalleRunner
Let's not get too carried away ok?

"Revo's look more aggressive than Bfg ATs?
You guys think BFG A/T's look aggressive?

The Michelin M/S is a GREAT tire, but it's got a really SOFT sidewall. (think body roll) Even in a 17" tire, I think they ride comfortably, but not WELL.
Depends on how your drive. Aggressively? Revo's. Just around? M/S.

Those are my pennies. Do what you wish w/ them.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations for an 03 4 Runner