Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Which locker setup should I go with?
Automatic (EZ or Lockright)
22.29%
Selectable (OEM or ARB)
73.49%
Other (please give me more info!)
4.22%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

time to get LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a good deal on a new Detroit Truetrac dif for $300 shipped. I wasn't ready for a full auto in the rear and this was a perfect combo of on-road and off-road and price.

My stock dif was shot (case was worn out and spider gears were ready to fall apart). Which allowed the axles to actually pivot up and down UP/DOWN in the differential causing vibrations and obvious wheel wobble. This is a common with 8" yota dif casings. After 185k miles of abuse (a lot of off-road usage) they wear out. My axles were warped as well as a result.

Anyways...

I like it and it has proven its worth off-road. Trails i was forced to do in 4wd I've done in 2 now. I've driven it in the snow and on the ice and the problem with locked rear-ends on ice and snow is, if your on any incline (this happens in mud to btw) your tail end will slide quickly down the incline.. so in a sense it will go to whatever side the road is sloaping QUICK, quicker than an open dif because both wheels lose traction at once. I've spun out once unexpectedly and i was going slow so YES they can make it hairy on icy roads so DRIVE CAREFULLY! an autolocker will lose traction even quicker than an LSD dif.

This is a gear driven LSD, not clutch type, so it's stronger and will last forever. It's a beefy unit.

I installed it myself in a day. You'll need a hydraulic press, dial indicator and a SST to tighten the differential bearing nut (if you wanna call it a nut). This is on a rear yota 8" and ofcourse all the wrenches sockets and torque wrench to tighten it all in.

If you don't understand backlash, what a ring and pinion is or gear ratios i wouldnt install a full-dif by your self. =) ...

The spools and cheaper auto locks are easier to install because you dont install a new differential carrier/case. you just replace the the 3 gears with the locker o put a spool in. Speaking of spools, NOT advised for people who drive their vehicles on pavement! You will tear your ˟˟˟˟˟ up quick and find yourself in a bad accident before ya know it! (had a stupid friend drive his spooled chevy on the freeway and rear end completely fell apart, surprised he's still a live!)

*edit

like to add that the Detroit was specifically designed for Front Axle use. Though obviously it can be used front or rear, but it's apparently driveable in the front and I've been told the trucks handle great (no pulling like with a full front locker). I haven't driven a truck with a Truetrac in the front this is just what others have told me. Eventually im going to put a full auto Detroit in the rear and this dif in the front.

Last edited by drew303; 12-09-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoode
thnks 91 for the info, I want to get a lunchbox locker for both the F/R. Right now I don't want to mess with everything that goes into an ARB or Detroit lockers. Something that isn't so expensive and I can install myself, either a lockright or Aussie locker is what I want. Eventually though I will have to regear and upgrade lockers then, I only have 4.10's in mine right now.
Aussie lockers run 240 bucks for front, though i dont see anything for the rear on their website...
Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 PM

just curious about doing this to my 2wd... im thinking of the e-locker swap is it that tough to do???
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a LSD? Do they help offroad? How are they on icy roads?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerdo
How about a LSD? Do they help offroad? How are they on icy roads?

Might help in mud a little, but when you have one tire not touching the ground then they are no better than an open diff. They would be fine on icy roads until you spin a tire and make it simulate locking up, then the back end will kick out sideways.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:23 PM

I love my e-locker. There when I need it, invisible when I don't. And the best part is, my wife doesn't use it.