Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thule vs. Yakima

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEBBY!!!

I've got a Yak Ankle Biter that you can buy if you want...

Yak stuff comes with universal bar mounts for either Yak or Thule... so if you are a square bar owner you can use it no problem!

Old 12-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

wow, you guys are mind readers! this is the second thread that has already been here when Ive had a question... ok, next question. I already have yak crossbars etc from my previous car and want to get a load worrior. so my question is what size works best on the 3rd gen? Is the load warrior good or does is it look too small and is it a pain to put stuff in? does anyone have any pics of the yaks? Corey, you have the load worrior correct? That seems to be a good size.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yak, Yak, Yak, Yakima.

I've had it over 5 years, and it still looks new. One time I came home and forgot my bike was on the roof. I pulled into the garage and bang! The rack didn't move and there wasn't a mark on it. The bike ended up with some scratches though.

From what I hear Thule is just as good. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. What name sounds better to you? hehe

Btw, the faring is a MUST.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Corey, those baskets that you linked to in your post are awesome! I love that Lappland. I talked to Thule today and they said that they are only available in Europe. I searched on Google and found a site that carries them (they're in Europe) so I am going to email them and see what the deal is. Thanks for everyones responses. I am definitely going to check out Ebay and see what I can find. BTW, the $250 did not include the basket. It was the feet, crossbars, locks, and fairing. Later.

Matt
Old 12-12-2002, 03:24 AM

Re: Ankle Biters

Originally posted by Cebby
I'll ask once more. Does Thule make an "ankle biter" type bike mount? Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?

BTW, I have the 416's
Not last I knew. If the Big Mouth does work for you, the other option would be a mount that holds the bike by the front fork mounts (i.e. remove the front tire). I would think that the Big Mouth would work fine for your mongoose, but clearly not your Klein. FWIW... I use bigmouths, I have a friend that has to remove his front tire and use the fork mounts, and another friend with 2 ankle biters. The ankel biter is by far the least sturdy of the 3. The fork mount type are the most stable, especially at highway speeds. I think the bigmouth is the easiest to use (IMO).
Old 12-12-2002, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Mouth

Jackson -

You can't tell from the picture too well, but it has a twin down tube design. The bigmouth squeezes the downtube. I'm a little leary of doing that even with a spacer between the tubes. The tubing on that frame is really thin. That Mongoose frame was manufactured by Amp Research is superlight. I think the whole bike is 22 lbs. Not bad for a full suspension.

I think the fork mount is probably the route I'll go for those two. I need to hang on to my bigmouths that I have (4) since I have 3 boys and no doubt will be hauling their bikes around too.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Cebby; 12-12-2002 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:10 AM

Exclamation AGAIN... HERE IS YOUR SOLUTION...

All Yak stuff comes with these UNIVERSAL WRAP AROUND bar mounts so you can mount this Ankle Biter Duce to your square Thule bars NO PROBLEM......!

Sounds like this is the combo you need!!!

Last edited by Nate C; 12-12-2002 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nate

Do you have 2 of them? I don't need them until March or April since I don't ride in snow anymore (long story).

I would probably want to switch over to all YAK I think cause I dig the load warrior and need some sort of "basket". Will the bike mounts and load warrior work at the same time, oor is it one or the other?
Old 12-12-2002, 08:23 AM

I only have one....

Go to www.yakima.com for all the specs. You can get bars as wide as you need for all your toys...

Old 12-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Question megawarrior setup

Hey guys/gals:

How are your feelings towards adding a megawarrior or even a load warrior direct to the roof rack w/o the use of the lowrider/crossbar combo? Is it safe / sturdy enough? The website states that the new 03 4runner's roof rack will work w/ the megawarrior w/o the use of the lowrider/crossbar.

Anyone with this setup (w/o lowrider/crossbar)?

Any input here will help me!!

Lance
Old 12-12-2002, 08:53 AM

I've owned both Yakima and Thule - and I have to say that Thule is better in my opinion.

I have alwyas been a Yakima Fan and have used their stuff exclusively until recently. I actually bought a Thule set-up for my 4Runner to replace the Yakima set-up I had, because I thought the Yakima Railriders were a little too tall for my taste. The Thule towers are a little shorter and more squat than the Yaks.

The other thing I noticed, is that the Thule towers seemed to be a little better made, having a metal clamping mechanism as opposed to the nylon impregnated slip-fit anchor that Yak uses.

Something else about Yakima - The round bars suck. Attachments, especially wheel forks, rotate on the round bars. The square Thule bars give a more secure fit.

Also, Yakima is making their accessories with dual clamps, so they will fit Thule bars. So you get the best of both worlds with Thule.

Oh, the irony got me too. Thule is a Swedish Company, but everything is made in the USA. Yakima is an American Company, but everything is made in Mexico.