Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Those with Pioneer Head Units...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with Pioneer Head Units...HELP!

Ok, I have a problem...beyond the obvious...hey...watch it! Anyways, I had my battery problem today...click here to see that. But my problem is this... I have a Pioneer DEH-P7300 head unit. It has the Organic EL display. But ever since today, the display has been acting goofy! I turn it on and it goes fine. Then, about a minute later, the whole display goes negative. Everything switches colors, etc. Then it switches back, then the whole process happens again. What I am wondering is if this problem is because the heat that I am having now (103 today) or could it be because of the battery problem. Keep in mind, I had the this jumped 2 times today and the battery disconnected 2 times. The only reason I think that it is heat and not the battery, is because it works fine for about a minute after I turn it on, then changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :fireman:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:15 PM

Don't know much about those displays?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:41 PM

Well, try it again late tonight or early in the morning when it's cooled off. If it lasts longer then it's at least partially heat related. Other than that....
Old 08-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Thats normal behavior. When I had my Tacoma, I had a Pioneer Premier DEH-P900R and mine always did that. I thought it was just the screen saver type of effect. It would happen like every minute or less...it would just keep going back and forth. I believe there is a way to disable that through the menu but its been a while.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

i have the DEH-P840MP and i havent had any problems with it. but i would say that the heat might be getting to it. or maybe u could somehow contact pioneer about it and see what they say.

-Casey
Old 08-15-2002, 04:04 AM

Well, I went out last night when it was cooler and tried it, and no luck, same thing! So I think that it is not due to the heat. I am going to go to the dealer that put it in and see what they say. If they can't help, then I am going to go straight to Pioneer, well, call them! Thanks for the help guys! :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
Well, I went out last night when it was cooler and tried it, and no luck, same thing! So I think that it is not due to the heat. I am going to go to the dealer that put it in and see what they say. If they can't help, then I am going to go straight to Pioneer, well, call them! Thanks for the help guys! :fireman:
Ryan,

Did the battery fix your starting problem? Did you get the right replacement amperage? Did the head unit problem exist before the battery problems? I had a replacement battery put in a Bronco (wrong size) and it ran like crap. It affected my injectors. I don't think any manufacturer would design a head unit to be flakey. Are you battery cables and terminals in good shape and clean? I live in Texas and cars get very hot inside and I don't know anyone with type of head unit problem from heat. Good luck.

Pete
Old 08-15-2002, 07:22 AM

Yeah, everything works fine now! It is just the problem with the head unit. I mean that it plays fine and all, but it just is messed up with the display! I will find out what is going on! Darn it! :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 07:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I asked a freind who is a local setero rep here in KC, this is what he said:

"I'm not familiar with that unit. Either way though, it shouldn't be doing that even with the heat. I'd say that the unit is bad and needs to be replaced if under warranty"
Old 08-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hey dude...I can help you out. The problem you are having isn't really a problem. It is what is called a reverse demo. You can fix this by turning off the radio and pressing either the 5 or the 6 key while the head unit is turned off, but while there is still power to it. This will turn it off and everything will be good.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by DavidO06
Hey dude...I can help you out. The problem you are having isn't really a problem. It is what is called a reverse demo. You can fix this by turning off the radio and pressing either the 5 or the 6 key while the head unit is turned off, but while there is still power to it. This will turn it off and everything will be good.
Yeah buddy, that is what I did and it fixed it all up. It is reverse demo and you have to turn the key to ACC and then hit the 5 buton and it fixes it! I asked the dealer and he said it was an option to have it like that but did not know how to take it off. Then I called Pioneer and was on hold when I read it in the book. Now it is all better and I feel better. Thanks! :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

haha. I read the top of the post and I was like, "I know, I know!!" But I see you guys figured it out.

ALSO. On some of the Pioneer head Units this is in the menu. You access that with the head unit turned off (by holding source until it shuts down) and then by going into the menu.

Anyway, looks like you've got it.

Dan
Old 08-15-2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
haha. I read the top of the post and I was like, "I know, I know!!" But I see you guys figured it out.

ALSO. On some of the Pioneer head Units this is in the menu. You access that with the head unit turned off (by holding source until it shuts down) and then by going into the menu.

Anyway, looks like you've got it.

Dan
Yeah, thanks anyway Dan. I was really pissed off at this, but it only turned out to be a minor problem...boy was I relieved! But what are you talking about when you say that it is in the menu? :fireman: