Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan install complete

Old 07-19-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taurus Fan install complete

Well the Taurus fan install is complete. The fan is certainly worth way more than the $30.00 it cost in performance. Here are the pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/81926719ZExocS
Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

seen any power improvement? And where did you get the cylindrical zip ties? Hows the cooling now?

Steve
Old 07-19-2003, 09:07 PM

Man, that Taurus Fan kicks ass! I left my truck running with the A/C on for 30 minutes and the temp needle didn't even move from its spot BELOW normal operating temp with the A/C off! It moves some serious air. I read on the PBB that there are guys with 502 big block engines that use this fan to cool their radiators. It is a 2 speed fan, and I only wired up the low speed! The high speed moves at least twice as much air as low. I will connect it up later with a DPDT switch so that I can change the fan speed if I need it~but I seriouly doubt that I will need that much air moved. (Fan- $30.00/New fan controller since I fried my old one- $40.00/ cylindrical zip ties called a fan remount kit at the auto parts store-$6.00/ New coolant-$12.00/weatherstripping to cushion fan and radiator contact-$6.00/Not having to worry about overheating and blowing head gasket-Priceless
And there was a certain power improvement that came with the truck running nice and cool. The take off from a stop was noticibly quicker!

Last edited by seafarinman; 07-19-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Man, that is what I want to do. A couple of questions:
Did you hook it up to a thermostat to turn on when needed? or is it switch activated.
also. Did you set up relays for it? It was mentioned that that it needed 40 amp relays for the low speed and 70-80 amp relays for the high speed.
Do a write up for us knucklheads that can't do that kind of thing for ourselves.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Livelarg,
I used the Hayden adjustable Thermostat fan controller. It includes a 40A relay and has a temperature sensor that mounts in the radiator fins under the top radiator inlet, as well as an A/C override that turns the fan automatically when the A/C is switched on. As far as the High speed circuit, I had the 85A relay(solenoid) from Napa part # ST-85 ($47.00) but I returned it since the low speed setting is more than enough to cool my rig. Wow, what a difference. I might get the 85A relay later, and connect it and the low speed circuits through a DPDT switch so that I can select which speed I want to use or turn it off for those water crossings~even though it will turn on automatically anyway. I bypassed the ignition and have both the supply and switched 12V wires connected to the battery. It shuts off when the truck is cool. It only ran for 45 seconds after I shut off the truck anyway. The fan fits the radiator almost as though it was designed for it! I have to work tomorrow, and I will do the write up there I guess~just don't tell Uncle Sam that I am doing Toyota Tech writeups at work!

Last edited by seafarinman; 07-19-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks,
I am looking forward to doing the mod, and you have done all of the gueswork for me.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:39 PM

Please tell me this is something that would fit a 3rd gen 4runner!
At $200+ the other electric fans weren't on the top of my mods list. Great job getting this one to work for you.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:28 AM

RobT2K,
I am sure that this would work on your 3rd Gen 4Runner. Your radiator is little bit wider (26"-3.4l V6/22"-3.0 V6) but since you would likely use the fan remount kit (aka cylindrical zip ties) it would work all the same. If I recall from looking under the hood of Mark's 3rd Gen, your radiator is also a bit thinner, so you would have more space between your radiator and water pump than I do. The fan is 5.5" deep, but I am sure that it would fit. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Re: Taurus Fan install complete

Originally posted by seafarinman
Well the Taurus fan install is complete. The fan is certainly worth way more than the $30.00 it cost in performance. Here are the pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/81926719ZExocS

Is that a used fan from a Taurus or a brand called Taurus?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:51 PM

It is a used junkyard fan from the 88-95 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable with the 3.8l V6 engine. Of course the fans are not actually made by Ford.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:27 PM

looks good

any reason why you chose that fan other than good fitment?
did you happen to come across it, or did others from the board use that fan?

how much was the hayden t-stat?
-just noticed the price

Last edited by hellas; 07-20-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

ther has been talk on the bulletin boards that the Taurus fan can push a TON of air. they fit easily, and are pretty dang cheap because they are everywhere. People that have used it say that it really keeps the engine cool and that they are efficiant, and did I mention CHEAP!
Old 07-20-2003, 04:58 PM

I found the info on the infamous Pirate Bulletin Board. Just look up the keyword "Taurus Fan" The Hayden fan controller with the adjustable thermostat was $40.00. And more importantly it moves some serious CFM's (really!!) and they fit like a glove. Price, performance, and fit... what more do you need!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seafarinman,

Funny I had even bought the flexalite fan but took it back because I looked at the quality and it was just not as good as what I wanted (particularly with the fan control box which was totally open to the elements....good idea up in canada!!!.....hello, salt maybe! and the fans didn't move air like I was expecting....adequate but not awesome). In comes the Taurus mod......

When I can across the Taurus fan mod it looked sweet because of the price\performance, but I wasn't sure of fit and what mods were needed to adapt for 4runners. Well you did all the tough stuff for us...... ......so thanks!!!

I will be trying to adapt mine for a 3rd gen and will post pics when I get it installed.

Here are some of the original mod links in case you guys wanted them (they have been used for a while to cool the BIG boy V8s):
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...an/index.shtml

The lincoln fan is very similar if not the exact same fan (P\N?)
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S.../MarkVIII.html
http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/...rkVIII_Fan.htm
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7713/donsfan.htm
Old 07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

JUNKYARD PARTS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of questions also. What exact method is used to hold the thing in? Being a Ford part, I doubt it bolts right in. Is the stock shroud replaced? Is this where the cylindrical zip ties come in? (Whatever those are) I'm used to using zip ties to tie junk onto my junk, but nothing quite as heavy as what I imagine this weighs.

Also, how heavy is this thing?

Last edited by jx94148; 07-20-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:11 PM

Jx94148,
It is scary how perfectly the Taurus fan fits the 3.0 V6 radiator. Granted there is only like one bolt that lines up with the radiator, so I bought a "fan remount kit" that is made by Hayden~it includes 4 of the cyl zip ties, the locks for the end, and foam pads to pad the ends of the ties. It is like $6.00 for a set. They are located in the electric fan and oil cooler section at the auto parts store. The fan weighs like maybe 4-5 lbs(it is mostly plastic after all). not bad at all. It has a built in shroud that covers like the whole radiator width wise and leaves about a 1" gap on the top and bottom~like I said, its uncanny how well it fits! Here is a pic of the "zip ties"

Last edited by seafarinman; 07-20-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:29 PM

I think you might've sold me. Dang, my step mom has a 3.8V-6, you think she'd notice a missing fan??? I'll have to check dimensions on my 4cylinder radiator.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:02 AM

You might want to check it out. Another member "Alimony" has a thread on his install over the weekend in his 22RE. So I guess that it is well suited for either the V6 or I4. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:16 AM

Well, I just found out that I'm forced to do this mod. Is there a quick and easy parts list that I need to look for?

Chris
Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are you being forced into it?

As for the list (from above):

"I used the Hayden adjustable Thermostat fan controller. It includes a 40A relay and has a temperature sensor that mounts in the radiator fins under the top radiator inlet, as well as an A/C override that turns the fan automatically when the A/C is switched on. As far as the High speed circuit, I had the 85A relay(solenoid) from Napa part # ST-85 ($47.00) but I returned it since the low speed setting is more than enough to cool my rig.....(Fan- $30.00/New fan controller since I fried my old one- $40.00/ cylindrical zip ties called a fan remount kit at the auto parts store-$6.00/ New coolant-$12.00/weatherstripping to cushion fan and radiator contact-$6.00/Not having to worry about overheating and blowing head gasket-Priceless"

Should be everything.
Which gen truck are you doing it on?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taurus Fan install complete