Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Electric Fan Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Taurus Electric Fan Report

Just got back from my trip to SoCal. Met up with a few family and friends and got to meet one of our own as well, Drsuesss in Aliso Viejo and we had a gr8 time talking about mods and seeing each others rigs. Did not have the time to go wheeling together but maybe next trip. I wish him the best on his center console mod. Was glad to help you out Jared!

Now for the trip, my truck did gr8, the system stayed cool the entire trip and even in 100+ degree heat, AC on full and cruising between 58-65 the temp never went above 7/16th on the temp meter. In fact unless I was running the AC the fan rarely came on except when I shut down the truck!

Milage was better then expected as well. Overall milage was from a low of 21.7 to a high of 24.6 mpg. Overall the highway driving was 22.8 running on 87 octane. Fuel prices when I left Washington was $4.17 and seemed to be in that general range thought Oregon and California. Prices started dropping before I left and paid a trip low of $3.95 on the return leg.

One more thing to mention about the cooling of the electric fan, I inadvertantly discovered that the Toyota cooling system is extremely efficient when it is kept in top condition. My radiator had been replaced just before I purchased the truck last year. I replaced my hoses when I did the fan mod, checked and cleaned the inlet and outlets. I have been using the OEM Toyota coolant, that really red looking antifreeze and it really works wonders with a clean cooling system and radiator.

I had shutoff my fan after arriving at my parents place the night before I was to leave on the return to Washington as I did not want the fan to start running in their driveway after getting in late, neighbors, noise curfew and such. When I left the next day, I forgot to turn the fan switch back to 'LO' (thermo control mode). I drove from Oceanside through LA in afternoon traffic on a Sunday (80 miles), over the mountains at Ft. Tejon (4,000 ft) then down into the valley where the temp went over 90 to a high of 103degrees. When we hit 90 degrees, I switched on the AC. I noted the AC was not as cold as it should have been but cool non the less. Drove ofr at least another 60-80 miles and the boys and I needed a trip break so we stopped for lunch and got some refreshment.

It was when I returned to the truck, I noted that the fan had not come on yet and I happened to check the switch, It was still in the mid position! During that entire time, the temp on the system never went above 7/16ths then either. Needless to say I turned it back on and the remaining trip through the valley was cooler and a non-event as well.

I did take the truck off the road on a couple of old 4x4 trails near where I grew up, nothing really tough or brutal but most of them are now gone and covered in housing, but hey I got her a bit dusty and took a few snaps of the rear 'flex' too! I'll post those in a day or two.

Overall I would say that the fan mod worked out really well. Did it add anything to my truck? I think so. I did have improved overall milage compared to my trip last year using the OEM cooling system with clutch fan. That overal milage on that trip was at the same speeds and AC and I got right at 21. So for the trip I did get an improvement. Cooling wise the AC did seem to be a bit more efficient. Good to be back home in Washington!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to hear you had a safe trip and the Runner was up to your exacting standards.

Good to have you back safe and sound.