Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tallest 3rd Gen 'Runner 4wd???

Old 03-22-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tallest 3rd Gen 'Runner 4wd???

Just curious who has the most lift on their 3rd gen 4runner. I am considering more lift, but I'm unsure how exactly to pull it off. I'm thinking doing the Tacoma trailmaster front lift, along with the coil spacers (revtek already installed), doing the 3 1/2 downey springs in the rear ~ along with spacers (OR doing a leaf spring conversion in the rear) AND a 3 inch body lift to clear 35's with ease (hopefully). I'm sure this has been discussed a few times, but I can't find anyone who has tried it yet....

Please tell me what you think...I'm thinking there has to be a reason I can't find it already done yet....

If it hasn't been tried....I just may
Old 03-23-2003, 03:12 AM

9 inches here
Old 03-23-2003, 08:11 AM

BigJohn,
Do explain how you got 9inches of lift.

PhxTRDRunner,
I have often wondered why a TM lift hasn't been done on a 3gen 4Runner. I have heard that the front end is slightly different but could be modified. The rear is a different story however, Tacoma's (leaf spring), 4Runner (coils), but why couldnt that be modified as well.

It would be great to hear some input on this.

Mike
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 AM

This is one of the biggest 3rd Gens I have seen, It has a Custom King lift kit and i believe a Body Lift. No matter what you do, to go over the 3" supension and 3" body you will have to get a custom job done.

here is a link to this 4runner

Old 03-23-2003, 09:30 AM

This rig is a 2wd though. You can lift to Tim-buk-too.
4wd, you have to deal with front drive train, IFS, etc.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:23 AM

A good buddy of mine went to high school with the guy with the blue Runner. It has Camburg long travel with King shocks. No body lift, its running only about 5-6 of lift and has 35s.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:46 AM

Right, that one is 2wd, I've already read up on it...Like was already mentioned you need to worry about much more when you have a 4wd...I'd also like to keep my factory fenders/flares

I'd also like to hear how you got 9 inches of lift bigjohn...
Old 03-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Come on guys, I know theres no way I am the first to want more lift....

btw- this is coming from my trail run with the guys from TTORA over the weekend...crazy *$^%^%'s...hahah....
Old 03-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

youre looking at 1000 for TM kit. plus prob another 1000-2000 for the rear setup. then at least 1500 for 35s and wheels (assuming you have 16" stockers). then youll need gears to turn the 35s, another $1500. might as well add ARBs while youre in there, another $1500...:pat:

with all that money, you could buy a trail rig
Old 03-23-2003, 06:40 PM

What about ATS racing? They have a bunch of kits for our vehicles it looks like, but I'm not sure how accurate the information is, since their site basically sucks. Check it out and let us all know!

Chris
Old 03-23-2003, 07:38 PM

Get the Camburg long travel and run Tundra axles...it works.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:53 AM

i have about 6.5" of lift right now. id rather take out the body lift and run all suspension though. i thought about using some of the other tacoma lifts but dont know what to do with the rear. would it be possible to swap the rear leaf setup from a tacoma? im pretty sure i can clear 35s right now but id like to do it all suspension. if its too involved though i was considering going with a camburg or total chaos long travel kit.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:57 AM

Do these companies have web sites that I check out their products?

Chris
Old 03-24-2003, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Do these companies have web sites that I check out their products?

Chris
www.atsracing.com but for faster service, call them.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks! I've got the website already, but what about these other suspension companies that are mentioned above. Where can I find out more about them?

Chris
Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in the process of putting together my lift right now, and was wondering how you guys with >3" of lift dealt with the CV angle problem- did you go with the kit from off-road solutions or diff spacers or something else?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by ALee27
i have about 6.5" of lift right now. id rather take out the body lift and run all suspension though. i thought about using some of the other tacoma lifts but dont know what to do with the rear. would it be possible to swap the rear leaf setup from a tacoma? im pretty sure i can clear 35s right now but id like to do it all suspension. if its too involved though i was considering going with a camburg or total chaos long travel kit.

Do you have any pics of your truck ALee27??? I would consider a body lift..but I haven't seen it done yet?!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
Come on guys, I know theres no way I am the first to want more lift....

btw- this is coming from my trail run with the guys from TTORA over the weekend...crazy *$^%^%'s...hahah....
Which trails did you run with the Taco's?

IMHO, more lift is not necessary. Better articulation and a locker is. I know for a fact that I have to regear. Your money may be better spent on your drivetrain. Get your tires down to 15psi to run our trails here in AZ.

Think about this carefully. Money spent on big lift and huge tires may be money wasted as you don't really need it. Just a thought here. Too bad we didn't see you, we were always the first group of trucks out for runs over the weekend.

Mike
Old 03-24-2003, 08:57 AM

I did the box canyon by myself (on accident) before I found camp...that's why I didn't make it there on time to leave with the 4runners. So, they talked me into trying the lower woodpecker run with them, which I made it to the last obstical but couldn't make it. I tired, but without 35s, or willingness to get body damage it was just to risky. I am going to get sliders next and an ARB front locker is definately in the plans as well..but it would be soooo nice to be up another 3-5 inches for many of the obsticals.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:34 AM

So, sliders are what you really need then, and a little clearance on the bumper valance (or just take it off before you go wheeling).

We ran Martinez Canyon on Friday and Lower Woodpecker on Saturday. I too took the bypass on the final obstsacle, I wasn't about to ruin a perfectly good rear bumper that I can sell after I build one. Don't let the SAS guys or the "ground speed makes up for ground clearance" guys get you all excited, if you had heard some of the breakage stories that were running around camp, be glad you went home without a dent.

I smelled up the clutch a little because of my 4.10's, but these trails are about as tough as you can get without ruining your rig.

Really, 35's are too big and put your COG too high because you have to lift so much to clear the fenders. I am in no way telling you what to do, if you really want 35's, go for it, but I honestly think that you will spend a ton of money on making it work properly when some body armor (sliders, bumper, etc.) and lockers and gearing will work just fine. Take a look a Fear's Runner (over at 4X4Wire), he has literally spent big bucks making 35's fit on his rig.

If you still have my phone number, give me a call or send a PM and we can discuss it at length if you like. Maybe even over a beer since you're right down the road.

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tallest 3rd Gen 'Runner 4wd???