Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Takes a lickin and keeps on Tickin

Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takes a lickin and keeps on Tickin

Anybody else ever wreck your yota and with a few new parts it still runs like a champ? Got Stories, Tips, Or pics?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM

rear ended a guy a few years back. pushed the front in pretty good. insurance said it was a dollar short of totaled ($2900 worth of damage). $100 later I made some new brake lines, straightened the frame, installed new washer fluid pump, and pounded some dents out. There is a slight wrinkle in the bumper, otherwise you can't even tell.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like where this thread is going

my freind about last week, dragged the side of my truck across a vynil fence at a property we were working on, put a nice white mark on my new paintjob. I was pretty tisted, but he gave me a smoke, and afterwards i just looked at it and said holy crap, my truck took that like a champ!!

i've backed into trees with my 85, drug the side of that across a cattle fence (it was my bent frame's fault ) got rear-ended by a buddy in is farm truck, and hung it up on a downed tree, and have only one little mark about 3 square inches to prove it!!

i've never been in anything serious, but ive i were ever to do that stuff with any other truck, i'd say the outcome wouldnt be as good.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 PM

yeah i had a lady pull out in front of me when i was doin 50 down a highway crush the front end bad, replaced the fan blades, shroud, radiator, condenser, and the hard a/c line running across the front. pulled out the bent areas a little and it runs like a champ everyday and thats after it sat for about 6 months. now i'm in the process of building my own custom off-road bumper and grille for the beast

Last edited by mwc0404; 08-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Ditched it on a gravel road and slammed into a power pole. It was a wooden pole and was in pretty bad shape after I took the hit but it somehow managed to remain standing. I stripped some of the broken parts off it and DROVE it to the body shop to get repaired.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 PM

ok so somebody explain to me how you put in a pic here ive been trying to post a pic but everything im trying is not working?

Last edited by mwc0404; 08-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Takes a lickin and keeps on Tickin-2.jpg
got it to post a small pic but cant get it to post a larger sized pic, anybody able to tell me why?

Last edited by mwc0404; 08-19-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 PM

There ya go you can see the outcome so far after the parts, still building the custom bumper and grille

Last edited by mwc0404; 08-19-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:20 PM

I don't have any pictures but my 98 tacoma is dark purple and has (well had) a black brush gaurd. About a year ago I was driving on a country road going about 55mph when a big arse deer popped out of nowhere and I couldn't stop (or slow down for that matter) and I hit him hard enough to punt him like a football almost 30ft. It nuked the hood, tore the brush gaurd off, punched out both headlights sidelights and grille, shattered the fan, nuked the bumber, fractured the airbox and bent the hell out of the front support. After about 200 bucks worth thrifty shopping and hanging on the radiator support like a gorilla, the truck was back on deck for daily driving service. The only evidence left from droppkicking Bambi to hell is a little dentage on the fenders and the bumber is still a little screwy, but I'm planning on getting fiberglass fenders and a tubular baja bumper when I start building it up. This truck has been through a lot of crap other than this; put it this way I'm 24 now and I got my 98 when I was a sophmore in highschool and it survived my phase of being a stupid teenager with a 4x4. lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM

totaled a grand marquis (bent rear axle and frame and ripped the bumper off) when my brakes went out and i went through a stop sign, new bumper, grille, and alignment and i was driving it 2 days after
Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM

I bought a 1989 4x4 Toyota pickup, was taking it home on freeway and the front tire fell off. The front fender was banged up but put new tire and rim on it, it drove like a champ. Never did find that tire that fell off.... I love Toyotas will never own another type truck. Wife has Ford escape, and I hate it!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 PM

I was rear-ended. I watched it happen but there is nothing I could do.
Once I drove off the hood and brushed the paint off my bumper, that I built, I would have to re-spray the bumper.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Bounced off a snowbank, plowed through a buddys jeep, slammed back into the snowbank then flipped. Just needed an alignment

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Hit a deer in Dec 2009. The brush guard too most of it. Broke the bug shield, drivers side headlight, and the plastic part of the bumper. The brush guard put a ding in each fender and one in the hood.

Some PDR and a headlight and I was back in business. Brush guard was fine.

Oh, and the dogs head made a star in the windshield into a crack.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Nice stories and pics everybody, Keep em' coming! and stockwell45 that is frickin amazing! I was wondering though since i noticed all the snow, Do you ever have problems with the 4wd acting funny when it gets nice and iced over?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I dont have any videos/pictures.

but I went 45-50 mph off a "small cliff" ( 4-6 feet drop, roughly ) on accident at Pismo. lol Scared the piss out of me, and my girlfriend. but Stockwell45, 93yotaSR5, and MKTaco_98 all witnessed it... i got out and inspected the damage, all it had was a busted off fender, ( broke the bolts ) and a bad alignment. Climbed back in and continued with the weekend. and 2 days later when i got home, the fan bracket rod pulled out. haha its never left me standed <3 knock on wood.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 08-21-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mwc0404@gmail.com
Nice stories and pics everybody, Keep em' coming! and stockwell45 that is frickin amazing! I was wondering though since i noticed all the snow, Do you ever have problems with the 4wd acting funny when it gets nice and iced over?
Not at all! The 4wd has never let me down, although since I installed my rear locker, if I'm not easy on the gas in the ice it does get very squirrelly, this might be the reason why i couldnt regain control.

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I dont have any videos/pictures.

but I went 45-50 mph off a "small cliff" ( 4-6 feet drop, roughly ) on accident at Pismo. lol Scared the piss out of me, and my girlfriend. but Stockwell45, 93yotaSR5, and MKTaco_98 all witnessed it... i got out and inspected the damage, all it had was a busted off fender, ( broke the bolts ) and a bad alignment. Climbed back in and continued with the weekend. and 2 days later when i got home, the fan bracket rod pulled out. haha its never left me standed <3 knock on wood.
That was cool...
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

I was stopped at a crosswalk and looked in the rear view only to see a mini van nose diving and a look of shear horror in a soccer moms face. I was rear ended hard enough that my seat belt broke my skin and was bleeding from my shoulder. WTF, drive the 4runner off her front hood and go to look at the damage. My hidden hitch went through her hood and into the rad. Both front quarter panels, hood, bumper and grill were destroyed. The motor was begging for someone to put it out of its misery and the 4runner didn't even get a scratch. I had to throw some paint on the hidden hitch but soccer mom wrote her mini van off
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cutter
I was stopped at a crosswalk and looked in the rear view only to see a mini van nose diving and a look of shear horror in a soccer moms face. I was rear ended hard enough that my seat belt broke my skin and was bleeding from my shoulder. WTF, drive the 4runner off her front hood and go to look at the damage. My hidden hitch went through her hood and into the rad. Both front quarter panels, hood, bumper and grill were destroyed. The motor was begging for someone to put it out of its misery and the 4runner didn't even get a scratch. I had to throw some paint on the hidden hitch but soccer mom wrote her mini van off
Ouch, this is why i already leave a ball in my hitch. Gives you a little extra room for things like this. I also find that people steer clear of your backside with it in. I did an experiment with it a few years back and there was a clear difference in tailgaters with it in or out.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ouch, this is why i already leave a ball in my hitch. Gives you a little extra room for things like this. I also find that people steer clear of your backside with it in. I did an experiment with it a few years back and there was a clear difference in tailgaters with it in or out.
My mom drives around with a pintle hitch in the reciever of her Rav4 when she goes to the city for this reason. Funniest looking thing ever

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Takes a lickin and keeps on Tickin