Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra swap questions

So here it goes. Tired of my 3vz and looking for a better motor. I know several people have swapped in a 7mgte, but I'd do the 7mge, mainly cause I don't wanna pay for premium gas. Also looking at the 2jzge which brings me to the questions. I know the 2jzge is an OBDII engine and the 3vz is not, I have heard it is really difficult to change up to obdII, anyone know this for a fact and have any experience with this? What is the average total cost of the 7mge swap? Can the 7mge or the 2jzge run on 87 octance? I know they come out of many cars, but if they are the supra versions I imagine they'd be a little sportier and maybe be tuned to run higher octane. Any ideas how much I could get for my 3vz? Would it be better to sell it to a junkyard or on something like ebay? Just doing research now, thanks for any and all help.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think a better swap for your situation is a 5VZ-FE out of a '96-up 4runner, tacoma, or t100. it'll bolt to your engine mounts and transmission...main issue is wiring.

the supra swap is better for the 4 cylinder guys because it'll bolt up to 20R/22R/22RE engine mounts and a 4 cylinder transmission. main issue there is that the exhaust is on the wrong side and needs to be re-routed.

i don't know much about the 2JZ but the 7MGE should run fine on 87 cheapo gas. the 7MGTE is another matter, as it's turbocharged and might ping with lower grade gas. toyota doesn't really differ their tuning between cars that share the same engine, so they should all be about the same
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a 1UZ in it. I'm investigating this. I wanted to go diesel, but there are alot of issues with a diesel swap for a DD in PA (inspection issues)

The 2JZ and 7M motors are long and require moving the radiator at a minimum for clearance.

I agree with the 5VZE is also a better option.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

2jzge can run on 87 and you can get those with tranny very cheap.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2JZ engine is in alot of Toy/Lex vehicles:

Supra
SC300
GS300
IS300

Probably others too.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by naksukow
2jzge can run on 87 and you can get those with tranny very cheap.
How much is cheap? My plan is to drop a 7mgte into my 84 2wd pickup, but I'm open to other engine options.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all.
I've been thinking about a swap recently too. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 7mge (non turbo from factory) and adding a 7mgte exhaust manifold and CT20B turbo.
A friend of a friend did this in his Supra and made about 280-300hp and 410 ft pounds of torque. He did have to modify the fuel system and use ARP head bolts and head gasket. Anyhow, that's what I've been thinking about doing recently.

From looking around on ebay, the 7mge usually goes for about $350-$550 and the 7mgte usually goes for about $500-750. Transmissions run as cheap as $200. There is a 2004 IS300 engine (similar to the 2JZGE) and auto tranny on ebay right now for $500 I think. Only 5000 miles on it. The VVT-i scares me though, I think wiring would be a pain.

I'm also thinking about doing the Lexus 4.0 v8 swap. As cool as a turbo would be, I think the Lexus 4.0 would probably be cheaper in the long run since I wouldn't have to worry about turbo, intercooler, and all that extra stuff. They are great engines and the valve covers look so neat! These engines are dirt cheap on ebay too. Only down side I think is that they take premium gas.

Anyhow, that's my $.02.
Have fun all.
Daniel
Old 01-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

whatever you decide to do, i HIGHLY recommend getting a complete wrecked car and NOT buy just a motor for several reasons

when you buy just a motor MANY of the important parts are missing like p/s, wiring harness, AFM and other brackets and misc things

taking the motor out yourself is a great way to get aquiated with how things go together and you know all the connections have been gently removed (you'd be suprised how brutal a process engine removal is for the places that sell just the motor)

you KNOW the car ran before it was in the accident, i bought a motor from a local place and it ended up being from a flooded car and was full of clay (dont even get me started on that waste of $1000)

if you have any more specific questions you can pm me, or check out supracharged.com for lots of supra specific info. A supra swap is not HARD, it just takes patience and a little ingenuity with making the I6 fit in there, especially now with the great wiring writeup done by Rob from supracharged.com

and if you missed the thread from a few days ago i just posted a vid of my supra motor starting up for the first time, it might just make up your mind for you check out my website

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 01-08-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Well my big concern about the 2jz is the wiring from obdI to obdII. With a 7m motor, my car would no longer be legal ( epa requires anymotor put into the car be newer than the car) not a big thing, just saying. Anyone ever swapped from obd1 to obd2?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

you will use the ECU from the new motor so why does the OBD series matter?

and as far as the EPA goes let me copy the PM i just sent to another member on the same topic:

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
Originally Posted by TheTank
Hey I've been checking up on your progress lately putting in the Supra engine, and it's turned out great! Sounds really mean and fast. But I was just wondering. I have a '91 4Runner and have been dying to put that engine in mine soon, but the only problem is the fact that they stopped making the 7mgte in 1991 which would make it illegal for me to swap one in. Doesn't an engine have to be newer than the year of your truck, and I was wondering if there was something that I missed making it possible for you to do this swap in your '94 (what year did the engine come from?). I'm hoping there's some loophole that will make it possible for me to do this. Thanks.

well. . . thats where it can get interesting. Where i register MY truck there is only a safety inspection (horn , brake lights , etc) so they dont even check the motor except to see if you have a catalytic converter on your exhaust. Think about it like this, if you do end up doing the motor swap what might happen if you take it to get inspected

1) you find a lazy inspector who doesnt care or doesnt notice, as long as you pass the exhaust sniffer you pass inspection

2) the guy figures out you have a different motor and is aware that you are "supposed" to not be able to put a motor in older than the vehicle so he asks you what the motor is from. You reply , " Its from a 91 supra " How is he going to know the difference ? Its not like the motor has a VIN tag he can run . . . and they still made supras with the 7MGTE in 91 im pretty sure. I think the only year they made the 1JZGTE was 1992 and 1993 was the first year of the 2JZGTE.

As long as you leave all the emmissions equipment on there they shouldnt be able to say anything to you. I personally am blocking off the EGR lines b/c IMO the benefit from SLIGHTLY reduced emissions is not critical compared to the extremely hot gasses you are injecting back into the intake. If im going through the trouble to cool my intake air with an intercooler why would i want to just go heat it up again.

And if you get REALLY stuck, how do you think the people that get build kit cars get inspected ? Its a brand new body with an old motor . . . therefore im pretty sure theres some way to apply for some sort of special title or inspection tag which is for custom cars.

Theres ALWAYS a way to get around emissions, you just have to try harder.