Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger solution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrock
that's accurate. anyone know of a mechanic located in Orange county to assist me with split second install/tuning/ and splicing new injector harness in?
You might be better starting a new thread. I'd bet that the folks that would know may have already tuned out of this thread.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
damn all of this sounds like more trouble than its worth lol.
Oh... I dunno, Speedy's looking to add 100hp to the engine which is like a 55% increase. That's pretty dern nice.

I'm on the path to getting over twice that.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
damn all of this sounds like more trouble than its worth lol.
BLASPHEMY
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Speedy, I forgot to ask, are you planning on also getting a 2.2" pulley?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"is a s/c worth it?"

have you ridden in or drivin a S/C yota yet? This is one of the best bangs per buck upgrades you can do as far as bolt on HP goes! stays reliable as a daily driver as well!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Oh... I dunno, Speedy's looking to add 100hp to the engine which is like a 55% increase. That's pretty dern nice.

I'm on the path to getting over twice that.

That's about what I'm thinking.....85 - 90 at the wheels any way. I dyno'd my old 1999 TRD Tacoma 4x4 5speed and got like 144HP at the wheels with the deck plate and Flowmaster 40 muffler. So I'm guessing 225 or so from this.

It's just crazy it takes 3 weeks of research to figure out exactly what you need to make it all work. Especially considering 8 years ago when all this was first coming out the TRD SC was claimed to be bolt on by Toyota and I even had the option of having it put on the 99 TRD before I took delivery. Thank God I didn't or it might have gone into melt down.

The reason I call the 7th injector route "bolt on" is because it can be removed easily without having to cut and splice any injector harness wiring.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I dunno, got any examples of Wideband AFR gauges that are made to take a 0-5V input and diplay it as AFR? Sounds like you'd have to instead have a 0-5V voltage gauge... because the gauges I have seen plug into their host controller. Usually the controller is used because it controls warm-up of the O2 sensor (plus the gauges are using a digital/serial signal)
The sensor curves (voltage:afr) are published... The only thing I can think that the controller is doing is to dampen the ballistics. dunno.

why hasn't anyone just plugged a gauge straight into their stock WB sensor?
Good question - I don't think anyone has actually tried it, they just keep listening to people saying you can't.

Seriously guys... why WOULDN'T you be able to?

Yeah, but I'm goin for the bling factor..
I know, hence why I don't really push my side of it too much. I just get it said when someone new asks and back away.

(while reducing the total number of gauges I have mounted everywhere). That, and a logging system will make tuning the WOT a breeze (you know how it goes, add bigger injectors here, WMI there).
I forgot to mention above that I have the IM logger as well. Some day I'll actually hook it up.

Originally Posted by Speedy
I'd rather have full time AFR monitoring for peace of mind. I'm also a tech nut so I think having a real time gauge for this is kinda handy.
Okay.

(re: EGT) Isn't the AFR a better way to determine that? If AFRs are in line, wouldn't exhaust gas temp be by default or am I missing something?
Running lean will certainly affect your temps, but so will a number of other things. For example, one of my first clues that I'd burned a valve was that the EGT slope was WAY screwy.

As well, don't skip over my comment about pushing it more. Tuning for a WOT AF/R of 12-12.5:1 is PART of tuning, but what you're also looking for is to get an optimum cylinder temp which will lt you tweak the efficiency of the burn.

I've said a couple of times on the forum that I don't really WOT tune with A/FR. I certainly watch A/FR to get in the ball park, and then I tweak to sit around 1450*.

If I get 225-230 RWHP I'd be thrilled.
Cool. That's right about where you'll be.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

The sensor curves (voltage:afr) are published... The only thing I can think that the controller is doing is to dampen the ballistics. dunno.

Seriously guys... why WOULDN'T you be able to?
I dunno, I suspect we're missing something. I think this is the kind of sensor we use, isn't it:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Wideband zirconia sensor
A variation on the zirconia sensor, called the 'wideband' sensor, was introduced by Robert Bosch in 1994 but is (as of 2006) used in only a few vehicles. It is based on a planar zirconia element, but also incorporates an electrochemical gas pump. An electronic circuit containing a feedback loop controls the gas pump current to keep the output of the electrochemical cell constant, so that the pump current directly indicates the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. This sensor eliminates the averaging delay inherent in narrow band sensors, allowing the control unit to adjust the fuel delivery and ignition timing of the engine much more rapidly. In the automotive industry this sensor is also called a UEGO (for Universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen) sensor.
Seems like a very complex set of steps to read AFR... not just a straight 0-5V reading.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

FYI from Innovate Motorsports' User Support Page:

Originally Posted by Innovate Motorsports
Q: Can the analog output of the LM-1 provide the voltage straight from the sensor for the fuel injection computer?

A: The LM-1 can provide a wide-band AFR output, but it can't completely simulate connection to a wideband sensor (i.e. if your ECU tries to control the heater or the pump cell, it won't work).
This suggests to me that tapping into just the 0-5V wire might work, but why then isn't there a simple 0-5V accepting AFR gauge?

Last edited by mastacox; 03-01-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Brian from URD called me back tonight and I had a nice conversation with him for about 20 minutes regarding various options. It seems the new URD 7th injector kit will fit exactly what I'm looking for. I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks to see what it entails when it's released.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM

This suggests to me that tapping into just the 0-5V wire might work, but why then isn't there a simple 0-5V accepting AFR gauge?
A quick Google popped up this:

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/

They give the math behind wideband A/FR while listing the features of the box:
  • Linear voltage output (Vlin) zero to 5 Volt, with AFR = 9 + (2 * Vlin)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Different wideband sensors use different operating meathods.

The air/fuel ratio sensor(s) used on Toyota trucks do not use a variable voltage signal. It operates on a fix voltage. If you tap a narrow band gauge into the signal wire from an air/fuel ratio sensor the reading on the gauge will never move. It will just sit in one place no matter what the real mixture is.

Narrow band gauges are not compatable with the Toyota air/fuel ratio sensors. This is not something I make up just so I can sell more wideband units. It is just a simple fact.

Gadget
Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Narrow band gauges are not compatible with the Toyota air/fuel ratio sensors.
No one said they were... I said narrow band gauges work with the stock O2 sensors.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

The air/fuel ratio sensor(s) used on Toyota trucks do not use a variable voltage signal. It operates on a fix voltage. If you tap a narrow band gauge into the signal wire from an air/fuel ratio sensor the reading on the gauge will never move. It will just sit in one place no matter what the real mixture is.
Hmm, well I guess that kind of throws out the possibility of tapping a 0-5V gauge into it... do the Yota AFR sensors vary current instead?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:00 PM

I think that's a myth that Gadget created so that he can resell more Innovate Motorsports products.
Maybe I misunderstood what you typed here in post #6. Kind of gave me the impression that you are suggesting I am purposely lying to people just to create more sales of things people don't really need.

Gadget
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Maybe I misunderstood what you typed here in post #6. Kind of gave me the impression that you are suggesting I am purposely lying to people just to create more sales of things people don't really need.
Again, here's an example of you only reading what you want to.

I said that in response to Brian saying:
I think I have heard that piggybacking off of the stock AFR sensor is a nono, but don't quote me on that...
There's clearly a smiley after my statement; you're being hypersensitive.

fwiw, I _do_ think that it's possible to piggyback off of the stock A/FR, and I KNOW you can do it off of the stock O2.

Your opinion differs from mine. This is just another example of us seeing things differently Steve. We've clashed since day one. Oh well.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yikes, this thread got a little awkward... anyway I thought I'd wake it up just for an update on something I said:

I hope to in the future have a data logging system plugged into it (which is where I will get EGT from) and it will help me have a lot of information displayed on only 2 gauges (yes, I hope to have 2 XD-16's, the boost gauge will be replaced with one). I hope to use the system for keeping track of several metrics, including EGT, AFR, Boost, Oil Pressure, etc.

... the logging system will make tuning the WOT a breeze (you know how it goes, add bigger injectors here, WMI there). As long as the system keeps track of MAP, RPM, and AFR, I can just plot it in a 3-D plot, and adjust my fuel map accordingly. Now closed loop isn't quite as obvious due to the damn ECU's fuel trims, if only I could log those...
Interestingly, there are rumors of a new component for the MTS (modular tuning system) that Innovate! is devloping which would add interpretation of OBD-II data. So, in theory, it will be possible to log fuel trims in the engine's ECU, as well as any other OBD-II data you are interested in. The name for this component is to be the "OpenTune OT-1." While it might be a rather expensive option compared to just a regular OBD-II Scan Tool, the possiblity of logging MAP and RPM data versus short-term fuel trim while the ECU is in closed-loop operation would prove invaluable in getting a truly transparent tune on the piggyback unit.

Just thought it was interesting, and deliciously nerdy I'm keeping this thing in mind for if/when I get a data logger in my ride
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Yikes, this thread got a little awkward... anyway I thought I'd wake it up just for an update on something I said:

Interestingly, there are rumors of a new component for the MTS (modular tuning system) that Innovate! is devloping which would add interpretation of OBD-II data. So, in theory, it will be possible to log fuel trims in the engine's ECU, as well as any other OBD-II data you are interested in. The name for this component is to be the "OpenTune OT-1." While it might be a rather expensive option compared to just a regular OBD-II Scan Tool, the possiblity of logging MAP and RPM data versus short-term fuel trim while the ECU is in closed-loop operation would prove invaluable in getting a truly transparent tune on the piggyback unit.

Just thought it was interesting, and deliciously nerdy I'm keeping this thing in mind for if/when I get a data logger in my ride
Interesting. I've been reading up on data loggers. Does the LC-1 log data? I know it comes as a combo with an XD-16 do display AFR, but how does it log data? I read something about it having a stereo cable to connect to a laptop serial port (huh?). I'm an IT professional and am VERY familiar with computer hardware, so I'm assuming this unit comes with some kind of adapter that goes from stereo to serial? A pic would really be great.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Interesting. I've been reading up on data loggers. Does the LC-1 log data? I know it comes as a combo with an XD-16 do display AFR, but how does it log data? I read something about it having a stereo cable to connect to a laptop serial port (huh?). I'm an IT professional and am VERY familiar with computer hardware, so I'm assuming this unit comes with some kind of adapter that goes from stereo to serial? A pic would really be great.
The LC-1 by itself does not log data, nor does the XD-16. They communicate through a serial connection in which a small "stereo" plug is used. The XD-16 is programmable, and to program it you plug it into your computer using the 'stereo-serial" adapter that the gauge comes with.

For logging, you can use one of these:

LMA-3 Aux Box
DL-32 Datalogger

The LMA-3 can log 5 engine metrics simultaneously, the DL-32 can log (surprise) 32 metrics. The DL-32 is obviously much more expensive ($500 for the DL-32, $250 for the LMA-3). You can see an example of an MTS tuning chain HERE.

EDIT: Keep in mind, it will be possible to display data from the OT-1 through the XD-16 diplay without the use of one of the data loggers. While I really like the modular setup of Innovate's MTS, PLX also has a logging option of their own in the R-500 wideband computer. The R-series controllers are similarly expensive and not nearly as widely applicable as the serial-chain layout of the Innovate MTS. The PLX devices also have no possiblity of logging OBD-II data without some sort of custom setup.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-06-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Found a detailed description of the OT-1 :

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IN-3790

It's supposed to be coming out in March, so this month.

EDIT: WTF?! it says it's $400 for this thing! If it's that much freakin' money, I don't want it... I was hoping like $150 lol.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-06-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger solution?