Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharge or Not Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Supercharge or Not Supercharge

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and fortune happened to find its way into my truck, but I am still not sure I want to attempt this mod. I recently acquired a TRD Supercharger that was factory installed on a 2000 4runner. The second owner decided he wanted his truck back to stock and had the dealership remove the entire supercharger, intake, throttlebody and all of the assorted components off his 3.4 and install all the OEM components and intake so it would be a normal SR5 4runner. The only thing that appears to be missing is the support bracket for the front of the supercharger. He told me that bracket was damaged during removal. Also there is a new OEM TRD blower belt. Bottom line on this is I need some advice and the best advice I know I can get is from all of my brethern here on Yotatech. So here are the pictures:

So here ya go guys and gals, what are the opinions on this install? Is it really worth the install if you only use the truck for light 4wheeling and partial daily driver? My funds are limited right now (well for that matter whose isn't) so I wanted to ask about it here, get some other opinions and if the feedback dictates (or an offer I can't refuse appears) I will offer it up. Take a look and PM me with what you would like to give me for it. So give me your opinions, offers of advice, questions whatever and lets see what happens. I love this site! ;>)

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 12-07-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go for it but its not just the supercharger that costs there are lots of other "little things" that start to add up
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM

premium fuel?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People looking to get supercharged need to remember that it's not really safe to just install the supercharge without supporting equipment to make sure you're running right. You'll want to read this: TRD Supercharger Wiki

I'm of course talking about fuel delivery modification, timing retard adjustments, larger fuel pump, and cooler plugs. The easiest way to accomplish all of this is to install a URD 7th injector kit, which is about $1000 last I checked. When you add in a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge and a OBD-II reader, plus some other small incidentals you're talking an extra $1500 over the cost of the supercharger.

Also, if you have an automatic transmission you need to make some tough decisions on how much risk you're comfortable with, and how brave you are. You will probably have to shim your accumulators or get your valve body modified by IPT.

If your funds are truly "limited," I don't think you're going to want to jump into the supercharged realm, because it isn't a cheap place to be... I know from first hand experience. You can probably make a quick $1800 by selling the supercharger to someone else though.

Last edited by mastacox; 12-02-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM

I had a supercharged 98 4Runner. It was noticably faster, but really, I hardly ever got to use it, because of the rising gas prices and I had to use premium fuel. Plus, you get used to the power really quick. I don't feel the need to have a supercharger and feel the power is very adequate on my 02 4Runner and now my 01 Tacoma.

I agree with mastacox - Sell it and make a couple grand, then use that for tires, lift, bumper, sliders, etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
People looking to get supercharged need to remember that it's not really safe to just install the supercharge without supporting equipment to make sure you're running right. You'll want to read this: TRD Supercharger Wiki

I'm of course talking about fuel delivery modification, timing retard adjustments, larger fuel pump, and cooler plugs. The easiest way to accomplish all of this is to install a URD 7th injector kit, which is about $1000 last I checked. When you add in a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge and a OBD-II reader, plus some other small incidentals you're talking an extra $1500 over the cost of the supercharger.

Also, if you have an automatic transmission you need to make some tough decisions on how much risk you're comfortable with, and how brave you are. You will probably have to shim your accumulators or get your valve body modified by IPT.

If your funds are truly "limited," I don't think you're going to want to jump into the supercharged realm, because it isn't a cheap place to be... I know from first hand experience. You can probably make a quick $1800 by selling the supercharger to someone else though.
Wise man that Brian, we should name him Brain.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i drive slow as it is, so i would vote this is one mod NOT to do. it would be expensive with all the little things as mentioned, cost of fuel, and just another thing to go wrong or add more wear and tear on the engine. although, since i'm not in the supercharged crowd, i'm sure it's just one of those things that i don't know what i'm missing. comes down to a personal choice after reading the pros and cons.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM

If I had to do it again...I probably wouldn't supercharge. The cost of all the fuel mods and the hassle of keeping it somewhat tuned is what would would keep me from doing it again. The power gain is so so at best. Worth the price of everything and the hassle?? Nope
Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't have my 4Runner any way other than supercharged. Love the power, still gets the same gas mileage, and goes when and where I want it to. But it sure didn't come free, it takes work to make it run correctly.

I'm jealous to see that URD is now selling plug-n-play harness adapters that you can use to easily install an FTC without having to cut your stock wiring harness. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that's installing an FTC.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
I wouldn't have my 4Runner any way other than supercharged. Love the power, still gets the same gas mileage, and goes when and where I want it to. But it sure didn't come free, it takes work to make it run correctly.

I'm jealous to see that URD is now selling plug-n-play harness adapters that you can use to easily install an FTC without having to cut your stock wiring harness. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that's installing an FTC.
Yeah I'm not taking mine off either.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Sounds like I need to put this thing up for "bid". Anyone interested PM me and when I get the chance I will post some pics of what I have. Not looking to make quite as much as a few have recommended but I am open to offers. Thanks for the honest assessment guys.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm,I might be interested but I'm not so sure with high gas prices to eventually return but up here at a mile high we can run an SC with minimal supporting mods and they run fine.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM

I posted some pics of the TRD supercharger for those interested in obtaining one. PM me if this interests you. Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 AM

If I had a stick shift, it would be a no brainer. With an auto, you are rolling the dice. My auto is strong and shift like a turbo 350. Some autos are already on their way out.

Extra power will have an effect throughout the drive train.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not a matter of just slapping on a supercharger, you have to think about fuel delevery, getting it tuned and most importantly the tranny if you have an auto...all those things add up. If you can afford it you would have one badass 3.4L. I would love to supercharge but cant afford it.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM

I currently have an offer on the supercharger. Last chance to PM me or offer here as if his is still the highest offer by the this time Friday its his! I am getting a price for shipping so it will be gone by this weekend ... (and NO I will not divulge the amount of the bid or who offered, kinda like a "sealed" bid.)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

"If your funds are truly "limited," I don't think you're going to want to jump into the supercharged realm, because it isn't a cheap place to be.."

Great quote....
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The extra Hp is really nice. Dont think mine is coming off either

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I'm not taking mine off either.