Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sunroof Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Leakage

Hello,

With all the rain that Southern California has been getting, i recently noticed a leak in my sunroof! The leak occurs on the inside, right at the where the seals seem to meet. It isn't "gushing" in, but i can see the water form up, then drip onto the edge of the headliner. Does anyone know how hard it may be to put a new seals in? Or should i have it done professionally? I'll shoot some pics tommorrow of where it leaks. any help is appreciated

Craig
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd probably have to take out the the whole sunroof assembly. Maybe you can put a really thin layer of like petroleum jelly or something on it, to moisten the seal. I wouldn't glop giant blobs on it though.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:20 PM

there is also a drain too that ususally gets plugged, i dunno since i havent seen the pics yet. it happened to mine i just got out the compressor and hit it with a shot of air.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Search this board for a posts and replys by me. I put a write up here aobut sr for some one else...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Any Updates on Sunroof Leaking???

Hey guys! I was checking in to see if anyone had found out what the issue was with the leaking sunroof. I just got back into town from a road trip and noticed in the rain that my sr is leaking. I checked for any past threads from dragon564 about this and found nothing. I was also interested in finding out about the plug thing, so as to not have to replace the sr assembly. Let me know. Thanks!

PS. Still raining cats and dogs, help!!!

~ Steve

Last edited by 99'4RunnerSteve; 01-02-2006 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Editing the Subject header
Old 01-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 99'4RunnerSteve
Hey guys! I was checking in to see if anyone had found out what the issue was with the leaking sunroof. I just got back into town from a road trip and noticed in the rain that my sr is leaking. I checked for any past threads from dragon564 about this and found nothing. I was also interested in finding out about the plug thing, so as to not have to replace the sr assembly. Let me know. Thanks!

~ Steve

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=sunroof

Not sure if this will help you but I would be checking your drain holes first.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks Thunder Cloud. Where are these drain holes? Are these in the 2 front corners of the sr itself on the lft and rgt? I was just outside cleaning all of the water off of my passenger seat and all around the roof liner with my Rigid wet/dry vac. Do these problems smell of the drains being plugged?

Thank you in advance! :-)
Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Thunder Cloud. Where are these drain holes? Are these in the 2 front corners of the sr itself on the lft and rgt? I was just outside cleaning all of the water off of my passenger seat and all around the roof liner with my Rigid wet/dry vac. Do these problems smell of the drains being plugged?

Thank you in advance! :-)

Wish I could help you with the location of the holes...Honestly I don't know yet. I didn't get any reply to that question and my small problem with the Seat Belt turned out to be the rear door seals. My plan is to check out the drain holes next spring when it gets warm enough.

I would think and still believe that each corner of that sun roof has got to have a drain hole. You should be able to see them with the roof open but maybe not...

Anyone have any Idea?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 PM

~ Steve
I still have leakage problems, but after opening the sunroof, I saw what looks like two drain holes in the corners of where the sunroof sits. I will be blowing some compressed air tommorrow to see if it clears it up. I'll try and get some pics tommorrow.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

Mine leaks out of the rocker switch which controls the sunroof. :p
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerBuddha
I still have leakage problems, but after opening the sunroof, I saw what looks like two drain holes in the corners of where the sunroof sits. I will be blowing some compressed air tommorrow to see if it clears it up. I'll try and get some pics tommorrow.
Cool, Thanks for doing that if you can. Sounds like the two holes you noticed were in the front. Be sure to check the back of the frame as well for any more just to be safe. My thought here is that you may have a back one that is plugged and the fronts can't handle it all on their own. Might as well clean em all while your up there.