Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suggestions for things to change while engine is out (5VZ)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about the oil pump? didnt see anyone mention that? It's def 1,000 times easier to do while the motor is out, and whether needed or not, its good insurance...
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Oh, I know, but it's DRIVING ME to desire one! hahaha... I know, yet again, that this is NOT anyone's problem but my own/therein my OWN realm of 'self control', HAHAHA.

Realistically, I've scribededed to many of this and many other type swaps/upgrades/refresh threads for the sake of "future hopes", lol. I have MANY 1UZ/3RZ/OM617/5VZE and otherwise threads scribed... And it doesn't matter if they're swaps or not... ya know? Cuz if I DO eventually do one... I'll need to address the same things mentioned here(especially if I wanna do it right ) But you're right, I got that one wrong, ....even after reading it, hahaha.

PS> NCSU, eh? GO WOLFPACK! lol. (an ex went there)
Haha, I'm sorry I enjoyed the girls from UNC and UNC-Charlotte much more. The girl:guy ratio at NCSU was absolutely horrendous. And the % of decent looking ones was even worse, and they knew it.

Originally Posted by Team420
How about the oil pump? didnt see anyone mention that? It's def 1,000 times easier to do while the motor is out, and whether needed or not, its good insurance...
Thought about the oil pump--It looks like they are pretty reliable. I will look up how much they cost though and see if it's worth it.

Question: The bolts that hold the flexplate to the crankshaft--I can't find them in any of the online OEM part search things. Anyone have an idea what they are called and/or part number? What about the torque converter bolts? Do I need to replace those? Same question about official name and p.n.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing your rigs specs, use the Change Vehicle link to fine tune. Anyhow, bolts....

http://www.toyotapartseast.com/Page_...3551,3557,3558

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...ccode=&ppName=
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Here is what I have on the list so far:

Flexplate
Flexplate to crankshaft bolts
Flexplate to converter bolts (possibly)
Rear Main Seal
Front Main Seal
Cam Seal Kit
Valve Cover Gasket
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Intake gaskets for anything I took apart
PCV Valve
PCV Grommet
Oil pump (maybe)
FIPG
Whichever loctite is used on crank to flex bolts (271?)
Blue loctite for other various bolts

1/2" 14mm and 17mm impact swivel sockets

Well, the dealership is probably going to love me. They have been good to match online prices (with shipping), so I'd like to give them the business as long as their prices are close. I hate to add up the price for all this stuff

Last edited by ncsugrad2006; 05-31-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thermostat?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
im pretty sure that one is a little fatter than the rest, used as an alignment bolt. i think all the bolts cost me under $20 from the yota dealership.
Looking through the diagram just posted, I see two bolts called out for the torque converter to flexplate bolts

1 x 9-1.25PX12.8-9,GREEN
5 x 9-1.25PX12.8-8.8,YELLOW
But for the flexplate to crank I just see this:
8 x 10-1.25PX18-13
Thoughts?

Last edited by ncsugrad2006; 05-31-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 AM

aaaand just placed an order for several hundred dollars! Wonder how long it will take to get here?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 AM

Guess I'm gonna throw in a transmission cooler while I'm at it and I'm waiting on parts

Any suggestions on which tranny fluid to use on these?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Pulled the torque converter out today to replace (nipple on the front broke off apparently when the flexplate went, or maybe it was why the flexplate went?) and found it has a pink dot, white circle and green circle.

I haven't had much luck in finding one that matches this. I'm going to go to the local parts store in a minute to see what they have to offer. The ones on their website though don't match these colors.

Speaking of the colors--is there any logic to the colors/circles/dots, or is it just random?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM

They had two listed in their system. After some measurements everything seemed to match on the "bigger" of the two options. I believe it was 9.125". All of the pad height and other measurements lined up that I could check. It was also listed as a "low stall" model. That seems to jive with all of the other options I have been able to find online.

I just hope to God this is the right one. The last thing I want to do is have to pull it back apart.

Any suggestions on the torque converter seal? One in there now is as dry as can be and is still soft. Should I replace it or leave it alone?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Took off valve covers and sealed the little half moon things and every other seal I could get to. Also put a new water pump in while I was at it. I can't get crank bolt off so timing belt is going to have to wait.

Torque converter came in yesterday--I really don't think it's the right one though. Guess I'll find out later today. If it's the right one or I can get the right one before this weekend then hopefully I'll get it all back together this weekend.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Did you make up a crank holder tool? There are several on here. Should be doable with a holder tool and a 1/2" breaker bar.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Nah--figured my snap on 4850HO would take it off, but apparently I was mistaken.

I'll deal with it after I get this thing going--I can pull it back apart in a few hours at this point and change it, although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not 100% sure if one of the valve covers is going to seal correctly (it looks like the seal was folded over in one spot when I tightened stuff down, so I may be taking some of it back apart anyways).

One interesting thing I found, though, is that the shop who diagnosed the "rod bearing" noise for the previous owner (the flex plate cracked, bearings were fine) pulled the timing belt off when they were trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. They put the belt back on OFF one tooth, so that may explain why it was running a little funky. I fixed that obviously while I had the front covers apart

For those following along, the torque converter that came in was the wrong one. 26 spline model showed up, I need a 20 spline one. Good news is Advance refunded my money no problems, AND since they had already sent the core off to wherever they go, they paid me $55 for the core they couldn't return to me as well, so I can't complain about that. Weird part is some of the specs on the one that showed up didn't match what was ordered, but was correct (i.e. pilot diameter). There are other reported cases of this on the interwebs. Advance needs to fix their stuff!

Now I just have to find another one--NAPA has one on their website that matches exactly what I need, but no stores have them in stock. I sure hope they can get me one by this weekend. It wouldn't be so bad if I was missing something I would need further along in reassembly, but it's literally the FIRST thing I will need to even start putting it back together. Should go pretty quick though--I think I can get it back in under 6 hours pretty easily. Took a whole lot longer coming out, lol.

Last edited by ncsugrad2006; 06-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work man! Do you know the part # for the correct torque converter from Advance auto?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by tripz
nice work man! Do you know the part # for the correct torque converter from Advance auto?
Nope--I finally said screw them and went to NAPA I believe it was. The listing for a particular part number and the actual part from Advance were completely different. The one I got was closer to the correct one than the specs on their website, but it was still the wrong one.

If I had to do it over again I would make sure to measure everything and count the splines on the input shaft and buy it from NAPA instead of Advance. I found the one online (I believe it was a "TO59" model) that was listed for my model and had the matching measurements. When I searched for one by vehicle it came up with 3 or 4 different ones and only one was correct. I have heard that somewhere in '99 the transmission/torque converters had some small changes done, so that may be the reason for the confusion, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct.