Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Street Scene grilles: '99-'00, '01-'02

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Street Scene grilles: '99-'00, '01-'02

I have a Street Scene 2-piece grille on my '97 S10 truck and have had it since it first became available many years ago. I want a 2-piece grille for my '02 4Runner, something that does not cover the entire grille, but inserts in the caveties above and below the horizontal bar.

Street Scene has a part number for a grille to fit the '01 - '02 4Runner (950-77851) and also for the '99 - '00 4Runner (950-77850). The company has no design information on the grilles. I put in my specific and detailed request that they make it as a 2-piece grille and not as a 1-piece overlay that covers the horizontal center bar and Toyota loco. IMO, a full grille cover is too flashy and looks contrived.

I am asking that everyone interested in this mod speak up and email Street Scene telling them they want the grille and how they want it to be designed. The website address is www.streetsceneeq.com

I really believe that if we do not speak up this will not get produced and I can tell you from personal experience that it is a great product and looks great.

I know that some of you have fabricated your own grilles and that is great. I am working on a design that I am making a mock-up of and will fabricate, but I don't need to or care to do this if I can get Street Scene to do it for me.

TIA for your support.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever you do DONT ORDER THE PUTCO GRILL INSERT. i got mine and it fit in the 02 grill and looked like complete ass. if you find anything that looks good for an 01-02 let me know
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by dexter
whatever you do DONT ORDER THE PUTCO GRILL INSERT. i got mine and it fit in the 02 grill and looked like complete ass. if you find anything that looks good for an 01-02 let me know
Dex -
Okay but are you going to help pickup the torch here and make a contact with Street Scene saying we want what I outlined in my opening to this thread?

I have done this with other things I wanted to get produced and it works. There is strength in (consumer) numbers as I am sure you know. If they were further on than just a stupid PN, I would have a better chance with them but this thing isn't even on the table yet and could drop dead before it goes any further. Maybe Jason Burtman could put some weight behind this since he is a successful vendor of 4Runner parts?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:34 PM

Dex,
I just went to PUTCO's site and they don't even list a grille for 4Runners. Listen, I know you do not have a '99+ 4Runner but you could help the cause.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:08 PM

The Street Scene grill is a 2 piece grill last time I checked with them. They just don't have an insert for the lower valance.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
The Street Scene grill is a 2 piece grill last time I checked with them. They just don't have an insert for the lower valance.

I was able to figure out that they are only intending to make the "main" grille and not the one below the bumper , but I could not get passed the company rep who answered the phone, and she was clueless to the degree I already stated. I would be thrilled to think they would do a 2-piece grille. I WANT IT NOW

Here is a pic of my S10 with the Street Scene 2-piece grille.
Attached Thumbnails Street Scene grilles: '99-'00, '01-'02-s10_frt7.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 08:36 AM

The SS grill is similiar to the one I made pictured below(2 seperate pieces):

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...hoto&PhotoID=8

The piece for the lower valance pictured below, they won't make because of the license plate mount is in the way. I cut off my mount completely when I made mine:

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...hoto&PhotoID=9

I searched for awhile looking for a company that makes the lower valance piece before I made mine without any luck...

It's too bad because the SS grill is nice looking
Old 01-24-2004, 09:04 AM

It appears that you are using the same galvanized gutter guard mesh material that I am playing around with. However, I am fabricating something that is not as pronounced as what you did and fits behind the grille openings. What I do not like about this material is that it is very flimsy and easily dimpled. The reason why I am using it right now is strictly for a pattern mockup, and not for the final piece. I would buy the sheets of anodized aluminum material from Eastwood. You probably did what I am doing right now which is a lot of cutting, tucking and folding. The ideal way, as I see it, is to make a block form out of wood, expandable foam or some sort of fiberglass that is the shape of the opening and then press and form the heavier aluminum screen to give it the proper shape without all the cutting and folding we are doing. I would also figure out a way so as not to see the mounting points (zip ties or tension clips). I may start from that angle since I am not crazy about the effect I am getting from the rear mounting screening. Another thing that I do not like about the gutter mesh is that it is too delicate looking and obvious as to what it is, but it does look really good on your black truck because against the black it is not too strong or dominant looking if you know what I mean. I’ve got to tell you though that I am not very inspired to go through all of this if Street Scene can be motivated to get this thing into production.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

i had an 02 grill but is twas all damaged from partstrain and the putco looked like ˟˟˟˟ on it.

im either getting an 00 or 01 grill in the next few days so im definatly in as long as its not over 200 bones
Old 01-24-2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by dexter

im either getting an 00 or 01 grill in the next few days so im definatly in as long as its not over 200 bones
I am guessing the grille will be $150.00, so please email them and put in your plea.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

ManyMods,
Any word from Street Scene on this thing? I am going to email them in a minute. I'm looking for the exact same thing that you are looking for. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them. Later.

Matt
Old 02-05-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
ManyMods,
Any word from Street Scene on this thing? I am going to email them in a minute. I'm looking for the exact same thing that you are looking for. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them. Later.

Matt
Thank you, Thank you , Thank you.
I have heard nothing from them and would not expect to. These companies are manned by monkeys who know squat about CS and don't care if they lose a few along the way. That is why it is all about the baby that cries the loudest gets fed. If we do not speak up in mass this thing may never get produced.

ANYONE INTERESTED NEEDS TO DROP A DIME.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

I sent them an email today. No response as of right now.

Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Here is the response that I got from Street Scene today.

"The grille is currently in tooling. It usually takes us about three to four weeks to develop a new application. When finished you can purchase the grilles through Performance Products. Thanks for your interest in Street Scene Equipment."

Sounds like good news to me.

Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

ManyMods,
Post some pics of your truck. I'd like to check it out. Later.

Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

If they are having the tool built right now dont hold your breath...they would still have to qualify the tool after they get, run samples, get 1st article approval, possibly send the tool back out for revisions, re-qualify it, run more samples....

You just never know how long these things can take....

Last edited by kraegelb; 02-06-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
ManyMods,
Post some pics of your truck. I'd like to check it out. Later.

Matt
Hey Matt,
I always have to whenever anyone asks me to post pictures because my truck is nothing special. All of my mods are very subtle, hidden or practically unrecognizable. Your 4Runner looks much sharper than mine. I think that once I get the rear Japan only spoiler and those little scoops that Jason was suppose to be looking into for me the truck might stand out more. I wish I had a website to post pictures on, but I alas, I don't.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

ManyMods,
What scoops are you talking about? Are you referring to the ones that go under the headlamps? I think someone else here on the forum has those and they look sweet. They'd also work out pretty good if you've got the deckplate mod, but I don't know what you would do when it was raining. Where is Jason getting those from and how much? Later.

Matt
Old 02-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Matt,
Jason gets them from Japan and I think they are $125 per set of L&R. I only want to install one on the right side by the intake. I really do not think there is much worry about in the rain since there is a gap between the scoop plate and the airbox. I am not worried. YMMV
Old 02-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

You might have better luck if try to get gadget to make something like this. Him and another guy (can't remember his name) started a company that sells products especially for 4Runners. He would probably be more willing to make something if enough people showed interest.

Quick Reply: Street Scene grilles: '99-'00, '01-'02