Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo help..please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo help..please

Yo.

1992 SR5 -- I wanted to have a Pioneer CD player put in at Circuit City. They told me there are 2 amps in my suv that HAVE to be bypassed in order for the CD player to work properly.

Is the true? I've NEVER seen a fockin amp anywhere. If it is true...where the hell are they? And do they HAVE to be bypassed?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:49 PM

LOL I dont know what they are talking about. If you know you dont have any amps meaning ampliphiers then it would seem to me they are stupid. Thats like saying "sir your Volkswagon Bug's 454 engine seems to have a cracked block, we may have to bypass it and put the two factory edition hampsters in place of it. lol
Old 03-06-2004, 02:54 PM

Well, it's just that it's a STOCK unit. Everything. My friend's Jeep G.Cherokee has INFINITY stock system in it, and I know IT has an amp.

But there's NOTHING under front/rear seats. I know Toyota wouldn't hid it in the back cargo panels.

If it's there...is it behind the HU itself?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 10psiMaxima
Well, it's just that it's a STOCK unit. Everything. My friend's Jeep G.Cherokee has INFINITY stock system in it, and I know IT has an amp.

But there's NOTHING under front/rear seats. I know Toyota wouldn't hid it in the back cargo panels.

If it's there...is it behind the HU itself?
I myself have a Pioneer detachable face deck & have seen the harness quite a few times. It looks to be a straight forward wiring job. I would assume the factory Toyota HU has built in amps but thats me thinking and uh yeah. Were you going to keep the factory unit in & have a 2ndary unit. That is the only way I can see a problem. I wish someone else would jump into this thread. I just dont have the knowledge you need. I want to listen in though and see what you find. Blue
Old 03-06-2004, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure about the 2nd Gens, but I know that the 3rd gens have a seperate amp. It does have to be bypassed, but the wiring harness that you buy is made to hook up to the wires going into the amp.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I'm not sure about the 2nd Gens, but I know that the 3rd gens have a seperate amp. It does have to be bypassed, but the wiring harness that you buy is made to hook up to the wires going into the amp.
yeah yeah brag about your 3rd gen. jk he has a 2nd gen like me. oh and 2nd gens RULE!
Old 03-06-2004, 04:08 PM

I do NOT want to keep the stock HU. I just want a regular Pioneer CD HU. Mine skips from hell over the SMALLEST bumps.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:41 PM

there are stock amps on the rear speakers in the back panels. i don't know if they actually have to be bypassed, but they're there, thats for sure. if you don't beleive me, take off your back panels and look inside the speaker box things.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 PM

2ND Gen 'Runners do in fact have three amps. There is one located right behind the stock radio (small metal box..looks like an amp), and there is an amplifier attached to both rear speakers. The front amp actually MUST be bypassed for you to use any kind of adapter to hook up your new deck. Just unplug the harnesses that go into the bottom of the amp and use those to hook to your new harness.

As for the rear amps. They are attached to the rear stock speakers. You must locate the wire that powers them and make sure that it is spliced into your amp lead on your new harness or the rear speakers will not function. Best solution is to replace the rear speakers while you are doing this and just power them straight from the deck.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2004, 08:57 PM

FOCK!!!!!!!!!

Circuit City wants ÅÅÅÅin $30 to bypass each amp. They told me 2 so...$60

CD player - $109
Free install
Wire harness - $23
Bypassing - $60
Dash kit - $30

$222?!?!?!?! FOCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! Is there any other way around this??
Old 03-06-2004, 09:23 PM

at least buy your deck from Crutchfield. They give you the harness and trim pieces for free. Then just install it yourself. They have excellent costumer support- they will walk you though the whole thing over the phone.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That price is a huge ripoff. There are no 2 amps to bypass in your truck anywhere. The only amp (considering you don't have a sub) is located inside the CD player you have now. So you just get another head unit and you'll be fine. If you've never done it before, Crutchfield is a good way to learn.

If you feel like being a little more adventerous, look on eBay, www.onlinecarstereo.com, or www.thezeb.com for the head unit you're looking for. Get an installation kit and harness from one of these places also, or WalMart. You'll probably save about $50 over Crutchfield, and no telling how much over Circuit City. All you'll need is a couple basic hand tools, a wire stripper, and connectors.

As always, you can ask questions here. Most of us have already done it and can help out.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:56 PM

^ although he didn't state it, he has a 4Runner not a truck. so that means he has rear speakers and amps on each one.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:15 AM

Yea I had no clue I had amps for my rear speakers. EVERYTHING is stock. I changed the FRONT speakers to Kenwood...but thats it. I'm gona go check out Wal-Mart now

Thanks for your help fellas. I'll post back when I have good news.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's weird. I've never heard of the rear speakers of a 4Runner having their own amps. Even if they did, why do they need to be bypassed?

Say they do need to be bypassed... that's still something you can do on your own. This website contains info on how to install a lot of things on a lot of different vehicles: www.installdr.com .

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf
That link contains everything you need to know, including what to do concerning the 2 amplifiers.

Last edited by Churnd; 03-07-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:24 AM

i don't understand why the two amplifiers need to be bypassed, but i know they're there because i've seen em with my own two eyes.

Last edited by KevyWevy; 03-07-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:36 PM

when i got a new deck put into my 2nd gen, the guy told me there were amps in it already, but all he did was loop a wire right there and that fixed the problem, so go tell the circuit city guys to go suck a fat one, because my circuit city guy did that for free.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 PM

Haha, man...I gotta figure SOMETHIN out. This shiat SKIPS and SKIPS and SKIPS over the tiniest of bumps...
Old 03-08-2004, 12:15 PM

No amps, in my 94 runner I just popped the old one out plug in the harness and cd player, then put every thing back together. I have also replaced all the speakers in the dash and rear. No amps. It should take maybe 45 minutes.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:16 PM

It was also a pioneer

Quick Reply: Stereo help..please