Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Rack: Toyota Reman vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Rack: Toyota Reman vs. Others

Hi folks,
I just bought a 97 4Runner that requires a steering rack replacement. My shop checked it out said that the rubber bushings gave way and the rack sustained too much wear and needs to be replaced. They said that this is common with these trucks and I should only have to do this once if I install the new rack with poly bushings. A couple of questions here:
1. The said that they only trust the steering racks from the Toyota dealer; their experience is that racks from other remanufacturers have been inconsistent in quality. There are a couple of remans on the web (Garo Steering, ToyotaSterring.com), I was wondering what luck have others had with remanufactured steering racks from others than Toyota? The Toyota sourced part is $600. The others charge $200 - $300. Big Difference.
2. The shop quotes 3 hours to install the rack. That doesn't seem too bad. How difficult is it to install one of these puppies? I'm an engineer not a mechanic, which means I have some mechanical know-how - enough to be dangerous!

Overall the shop quotes me around $950 to get the job done (with the Toyota part). Do I risk buying a part from one of the other remans and install it my self to save $600 or more?

Thanks for your time.
Mike
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put some poly buishings in the rack...all will be good... the main bushing that controls movement is right below where the steering column shaft bolts to the rack(this will be remedied with a new buishing kit)..the buishing on the passenger side is more so a guide in keeping the rack straight..

Unless you have a rack thats leaking or inner tie rod wearing...that could warrant a rack replacement..especially the leaking

One more thing to mention..way back when I was a wrench we had nothing but problems with aftermarket racks....This is when Toyota only offered new racks,at $1500+,no remans...The only exception that stands out were from BECK/ARNLEY ........I just checked online..and Toyota reman and BECK/ARNLEY are about the same price...so There you go.......Might as well go w/Toyota if you do replace it.....

Last edited by 97ltd4x4; 03-26-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the reply! I asked the shop if I could replace the bushings only and they said that the forces placed on the rack by the deteriorating rubber bushings have damaged the piston in the rack. There is no leaking, but I will say this. When I bought the truck I noticed that the front tires were worn funny (more on the inside I think), but the truck seemed to be perfectly in alignment. I should have thought more on that and what the worn tires might be indicating, but I didn't. If the bushings are loose or worn out and squishy, could this alone cause the tire wear, without the rack being messed up? It is a dependable and knowledgeable Toyota shop, but they could be trying to stay on the safe side considering my mileage - 147,000.

You seem to be pretty sure about just a bushing replacement. Does any of this additional information change your opinion on it. I would love to spend $30 instead of $1,000 and the installation of bushing seems pretty straight forward, but I don't want to ruin the $900 set of BFGs I just had put on there! Is there any test I can perform to assess the condition of the rack?

Thanks again for any more advice!
Mike
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM

You really need to get to use the search feature, or post in the newbie section.
A way to test the rack is to jack it up so the wheel is off the ground. Have someone grab the tire at 3 and 9 and rock the tire horizontally. Look and feel for any play and listen for a knock. You may want to take the weather boot off that goes over the rack end and inner tie rod to see if there is any play in the rack itself. Do this for both sides and please practice good jack stand procedures.
As mentioned, the play may be associated with worn bushings, and does not necesarily mean the rack is shot.
If you need a new rack, go Toyota, not crappy misc. remands. Im sure, like I, many have learned this the hard way.
1500+ is high for a new rack. I got a new Toyota rack (Canada) for under 1K.
Online you can get a rack for about 700.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the buishings are gone...It sure could cause tire wear problems!Wandering problems..all kinds of problems!.......

I highly doubt they can diagnose a worn piston inside the rack with out disassembly or evidence of a leak past the seals.....I don't know any mechanic that would say such a thing...

Any way........spend the $30 on the buishings...search for write-up on rack buishings.

If you have an inner tie rod going as well ......it will be very evident after buishing replacement and you can go from there,if not the alignment should beable to stay in spec now.......All you are out is $30 and an afternoon
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM

update & additional question

I finally finished replacing the rack bushings with poly bushings last night! I can't say it was the hardest automotive repair job I've ever done, but it was definitely challenging none-the-less. I have two words for pushing those old rubber bushings out: Large C-clamp!! I drove the truck and the steering is noticeably tighter. I have to give a plug for Wheelers.com; they send you a custom made bushing sleeve for the center bolt with the Energy poly bushings kit, so you don't have bore out the bushing that Energy provides to make it fit. All for $16+shipping. Thanks Wheelers!

So I have one question remaining for anyone who may be still following this. Can anyone confirm (or deny) the torque settings for the drivers and passenger side bolts that bolt the rack on? The torque settings that I found online (can't remember where, it may have been on here somewhere) say 141 ft-lbs (driver) and 123 ft-lbs (passenger). That seems high. I was only able to torque the passenger side to a little over 100 and the driver side seems to just keep tightening. I don't want to over do it and squish the poly bushings. I have it at around 60 ft-lbs right now. I decided to stop until I get some input from someone.

Thanks for the input!
Mike
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM

For a 01-04 taco, but should be close
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/inst.pdf
But yeah, I always find poly bushings to squish odd with force. You have to get them slightly compressed.
All writeups I have seen with poly bushings, torque to oem specs.

Last edited by Godzilla; 04-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for updating us on your progress.

This is a common problem.

There is a place here in Denver that does a remanuf rack for $250 and install is $150

I believe their name to be COLORADO POWER STEERING.

If it gets to that point stay in touch.

Thanks for your comments regarding install of the poly bushings.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 04-16-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add in vendor name
Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Ron,
Thanks for mentioning the place in Denver that specializes in steering rack replacements. Maybe post the name of the place & phone number so it will be in this thread for any Colorado folks. I would be interested in getting in touch with them if the rack ends up needing replacement.

Godzilla and 97ltd4x4,
Thanks alot for your help and encouragement towards this great (but challenging) DIY repair project!

PS: The website to buy the Modified Energy Suspension bushing kit is Wheelersoffroad.com not Wheelers.com!

If anyone is contemplating this project, feel free to contact me with questions.
Mike
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks Wazzou-have added vendor name to my posting.

IRBIS OFF ROAD is who many of us trust here in metro Denver area for all things Yota related.