95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering rack issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering rack issues

Hello, all--

New member here.

'96 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4, 160,000 miles. Problems started with failed inspection; loose ITR end. Diagnosis proved to be wrong; it was movement in steering rack where rack shaft enters/leaves rack housing. All symptoms pointed to older roller rack guide as detailed in this forum (I think), and in several other places. Got new parts yesterday, all set to do quick repair as I had already removed old guide and cleaned up. Shaft seems to be in very good condition. So far, so good. Decided to check under boot on passenger side, just to verify its condition. There had been no leaks evident anywhere on rack housing.

Bummer. Boot has nice collection of fluid. Can't see any leaking from seal, but it must have. Perhaps a little for a long time?? Don't know; just bought this truck.

Truck is on jack stands, boots are backed off both sides. Pressure equalizing holes in rack shaft are unobstructed, and clear (I think). I moved the wheels back and forth to check to see if I could detect leak in the offending seal, and soon noticed fluid dripping from center forward of engine compartment. WTF?? Yes, fluid was being forced out of reservoir up top. Ok, obviously there is something about this setup I don't understand. Why is pressure from turning wheels back and forth backing up to the reservoir in the engine compartment? Why hasn't it happened all week when I've been fooling around with this whole assembly? Does it have anything to do with the boots being off both ends of rack? Could I have been forcing fluid out the passenger side (with boot still in place) all week and not known it?

Trying to decide what to do next. I was certain that the new rack guide was going to solve my problem and get me past inspection and on the road. If there is a simple solution to the problem I've outlined, I might still do it and use some ATF thickener fluid to prolong the inevitable rack rebuild or replacement. Thoughts, anyone?

TIA.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
There is an upgraded rack guide since 1999 with teflon wear plates instead of the roller, the guide is very difficult to set the correct pressure for smooth operation, perhaps the leak was from the original loose roller guide, clean it up and drive it, make sure there are no cracks in the boots and they are clean and oil free to avoid contamination and false conclusions, not sure why your reservoir would leak out of 1 of the 3 openings unless you have air trapped in the system or it is rusted out, try bleeding the rack again while it is off the ground using Dexron III, clean it up and drive it and see what happens. It is also common to replace the rack mount bushings if it hasn't been done. Worse case swap the rack, been there done that, you'll need a crows foot wrench for the lines at the top of the rack, and it is difficult to aline the wheel afterwards through trial and error.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found more information about fluid leak online. It is not uncommon when you move the wheels back and forth without the engine on. Pressure builds up because the pump is not operating. Comes out the reservoir.

The upgraded rack guide was among the parts I mentioned that I was replacing. Did that yesterday and process went well; it's an easy job. Too late in the day to dial it in, but a quick test drive went fine. Will be monitoring fluid carefully. Thanks for the reply.