Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

starting problem not your usuall contacts problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting problem not your usuall contacts problem

ok heres the scoop. when turning the key the starter engages like it should turns like it should at first, but then it slows to a complete stop after a few revs. then i return key to off then back to start again, and it does it more untill it decides to ignite. went and had the batt checked and the charging sys checked both are good according to autozone.

it doesnt click like the contacts or a wire loose at fault, it doesnt click repeatedly like its a batt fault. so what am i left with.

the batt is a year old optima red top, the alternator is still the one from factory (original) but still puts out required volts and amps, the starter is the original w/ no removal for contact change.

HELP
Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM

I would check the battery cables and connection at starter for looseness or corrosion. Also check battery ground and starter ground connections for tightness. You can do a voltage drop test on the starting system if you still cant find the problem.

Does it do the exact same thing each time you cycle the key? Could just be a crappy battery. Dont trust autozone.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:23 AM

after it starts i can turn it off and it wont duplicate until its been off for a while.
i'll check connection today
Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 AM

So you try to start the vehicle and the starter engages, it starts cranking normally, but as it continues to crank it gradually slows down to 0 (does it eventually stop)? Appox how long does it take to slow down to 0 (as in 3 seconds, or maybe 10 seconds?).

When it does finally decide to start, does the cranking still slow down before it starts? Or does it act normally when it decides to start?

To me, it sounds like a battery problem...like it doesn't have the reserve to continue cranking properly. If you have a spare battery (maybe a friend has one?) you can test to see if the battery really is the problem by swapping and starting it up. When autozone checked your battery, did they just check the resting voltage? Or did they actually do a load test to it? A battery may still show the correct voltage at the terminals, but fail a load test. Maybe you can re-check the battery at another location for a second opinion.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JC_ez
So you try to start the vehicle and the starter engages, it starts cranking normally, but as it continues to crank it gradually slows down to 0 (does it eventually stop)? Appox how long does it take to slow down to 0 (as in 3 seconds, or maybe 10 seconds?).

When it does finally decide to start, does the cranking still slow down before it starts? Or does it act normally when it decides to start??)..
that sounds about right, it dies in about 2-3 seconds, totaly stops.

Originally Posted by JC_ez
To me, it sounds like a battery problem...like it doesn't have the reserve to continue cranking properly. If you have a spare battery (maybe a friend has one?) you can test to see if the battery really is the problem by swapping and starting it up. When autozone checked your battery, did they just check the resting voltage? Or did they actually do a load test to it? A battery may still show the correct voltage at the terminals, but fail a load test. Maybe you can re-check the battery at another location for a second opinion.
they put in on the machine for a full load test, simulating starting a few times, and loading up the alternater when running.

wierd thing is, that this has turned into an intermitten problem now, whet to crank this morning and away it went. through out the day it worked like it should. so maybe i'll look at the wires still and tighten the connections. who knows, i can stand electrical grimmlins(sp).
Old 12-08-2006, 01:11 PM

When you have the problem is the motor cold, or does it have the issue with a warm motor also?

I have gons through 2 starters and if the motor is cold that is when the starter had issues.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 PM

this morning it was in the teens and had no problem yesterday the car was cold and warm when i had the problems