Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Started my Tundra brake swap today

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started my Tundra brake swap today

After much frustration with the front brakes on my 98 4runner, I pulled the old calipers and rotors today and swapped on new Tundra rotors and calipers. I have some minor grinding to do tomorrow and I will be done. I cant wait to try them out!

OLD CRAP

OLD CRAP GONE!

NEW ON!

Cheers! I will keep everyone posted on how this ends up tomorrow.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM

just did this myself, sweet upgrade. had to grind the crap out of my calipers to fit my black 16x8's. still need to paint them.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Finished the job today, then went out and tested the brakes. Like any new brake job its a remarkable difference! I am experiencing some clicking which may be related to the ABS or something. My brakes shimmied so flippin bad prior to this upgrade its hard to tell if this issue was there prior. I checked for potential wheel bearing but things seem ok. I may need to bleed again but will monitor if the pedal firms up a bit over the next few days. Overall I am happy but haven't drove it enough just yet. Tomorrow return the cores from old calipers to redeem my $130 back cha chingga!

Now that this is done, I can get back to my build up https://www.yotatech.com/f191/bigbock...thread-197633/ ....I have some 4.88's to install!

Last edited by BIGBOCK; 04-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

I did this the other weekend as well, the 199 mm version. I'm impressed and no grinding what so ever.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Ran this today to work and back on the new brakes. Its like a dream come true! Haha, man sometimes I let things go waaaaaaay too long without taking care of the situation. This was a great simple swap that I should have done a few years ago.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Awesome dude, where did you get the stuff and what did you pay?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
Awesome dude, where did you get the stuff and what did you pay?
Sorry, I just saw this. I bought all my stuff at NAPA, traded in my cores and everything was about $375 after core trade in.

Things are still good with this but I think all of the shake rattle and roll over the past 6 months of procrastinating has caused me another issue. It seems I may have a bad wheel bearing or something I need to get checked out.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 AM

What year tundra are you ordering from at the store?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 AM

I want to do this. I had my rotors turned and new pads put on a few months ago..and I am back to the crazy vibration when braking over 50mph. I am so sick of it. I am not hard on my brakes either, don't ever go offroad etc. I think I will do the 199mm instead so I don't have to grind. I have the 5 star Toyota wheels on my SR5 Sport (with the scoop)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by legokcen
What year tundra are you ordering from at the store?
2003 is what I went with

There are a gazillion writeups on this - here's one
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51597
Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by MTTOY
I want to do this. I had my rotors turned and new pads put on a few months ago..and I am back to the crazy vibration when braking over 50mph. I am so sick of it. I am not hard on my brakes either, don't ever go offroad etc. I think I will do the 199mm instead so I don't have to grind. I have the 5 star Toyota wheels on my SR5 Sport (with the scoop)
I'm with you, I was so sick of dumping money into the front brakes and getting the same crap result after a month or two. I have read great results from everyone on this so I bit the bullet. I am hopeful this will be the answer for good. So far its great, last week I was following through a yellow light and the car in front of me decided to stop in the intersection to back up instead of going through

I had to do some quick stopping to say the least. I will tell you the thought crossed my mind for a brief moment that I hope I did a good job! LOL

And...I did
Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 AM

Good job man! Yeah I will be doing this shortly, after I get past my acceleration woes. You can't go wrong at 300-400 for new caliper,rotors,and pads. Dealer likes to charge 200 to turn the rotors. Thats friggin robbery. I never had them do it thats for sure. The should have issued a TSB for them like they did for the tundra.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm about to do the brake swap this week.

how did NAPA feel about the core return of not the same calipers? I also got mine at NAPA and would like to not have to eat the $85 a piece core.

some sites say there has to be a mod done to the banjo bolt, was this the case with yours? or is that just a tacoma required mod?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM

I read the banjo is only on the Tacoma. The calipers are direct bolt on for the 4Runner..only mod is the dust shield and/or wheels depending on what size 199 or 231 no need to grind the wheels with the 199
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by fullmann
I'm about to do the brake swap this week.

how did NAPA feel about the core return of not the same calipers? I also got mine at NAPA and would like to not have to eat the $85 a piece core.

some sites say there has to be a mod done to the banjo bolt, was this the case with yours? or is that just a tacoma required mod?
Good question, I'm sure some folks just return it in the old box and walk away with their core refund. To be sure I would get my core refund, I asked in advance. At first he was like well, we'd more than likely not know it was a different caliper but since you are being honest about it we will work with you on the core refund. The caliper I bought for the Tundra was also built for the 4runner in a smaller size so they ended up giving me the core refund as if I turned in the 4runner caliper which was $15 less each side. I was cool with being honest about it. I'm sure some will haze over throwing away $30 but the good news is, the guy at Napa I worked with has two 1st gen 4runners and he thought it was really cool I was honest about the situation. We ended up shooting the breeze as I also own a 1st gen 4runner. He has spare parts galore and has already offered me some things to help me build on my 1st gen 4runner build. Its always cool to have an inside man at the local parts store!

Also on the banjo bolt, no rework there, this is a bolt up mod. I didn't do any dust shield trimming either. I did however have to do some slight grinding on my caliper on one area that was rubbing on my wheel. I'm talking just under an 1/8th of an inch.