Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stalling Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling Symptoms

I was at a stop light today, I had been driving around town a little bit and noticed something odd. I looked down at the RPM's and they were looking a little low (400-500) and then every a few seconds the RPM's would drop to about 2-300 and the truck would shake a little...acting like it was going to stall. One time it ALMOST shut off. I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the automatic choke, I also have a small starting problem...look at my previous post titled 'Initial Start Hesitation' for info on that problem. Anyway, I was just seeing if you guys thought this little "shake, rattle, and roll" thing could be the auto. choke.

My other thought was that the idle was set too low or something, the other funny thing is, is that everytime the RPM's drop and the truck shakes, the engine makes a small clicking noise.

I have no idea what this could be, luckily it hasn't gotten so bad that I am stalling everytime I stop. But I did have to put her in neutral a few times to try and keep the RPM's above a thousand. Thats another thing, it doesn't do the little shaky thing after the RPM's go above 1,000. Its weird...ANY IDEAS?!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Fink; 07-23-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

THIS WAS MY FIRST POST AS A SENIOR MEMBER!!! YAY!!! I FEEL COOL NOW!!

OK, sorry, that was kinda out of nowhere...but...yeah.

Anyway, ideas? Ideas anyone?!?!

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

bump
Old 07-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Chris-

I found it, now I am thinking about this...

A couple questions:

NO other symptoms above 1000 RPM?

Any work done on the truck recently?

Any other problems with it?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

There isn't anything that is very obvious once I get above 1000 rpms...I just recently had the plugs changed. But I am pretty sure that it was doing the problem before that...the only other problem is the starting one. Where it will start, but the RPM's are extremely low, and now, it is taking longer for the engine to fire...it turns over fine though. It's acting like the choke is screwed up (atleast thats what it seems like when I try and start it)

I have a small oil leak, no puddles on the concrete but there is a film of fresh oil on the bottom of the undercarriage...nothing serous though. I don't know if that could be causing it or not.

But like I said, I think this problem was there before the oil leak (maybe not) and before the plugs (not for sure).

Any more ideas 96??

Thanks man!

Old 07-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

If we/you can't figure anything out, I will just take it into my local mechanic (not the dealer, they charge and arm and a leg for diagnosing ANY kind of problem) and tell them whats happening and they can probably figure it out in a day or maybe two.

But...I was hoping it was just an adjustment so I could tell them what was going on. Save money on the labor part, instead of them having to diagnose it...I could.

Any ideas will help!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Does it surge or stutter when you let off the gas? If yes, then it could be an injector problem.

If not, then I would look at the Throttle body and Ignition system.

TB: IACV - Idle Air Control Valve (not likely, but possible)
the TB could also be caked with crap. Check that too.

Ignition system: Check everything from the Cap and rotor on. Check each plug wire, all the way to the plugs - which should also be checked. When the plugs were installed, were they from Toyota? I would only put Toyota recommended plugs in my Runner (unless I had crazy mods).

I am not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but if any of those things I mentioned sound hard to do, then I would take it in and have the mechanic check it out.

Please let us know what the problem is when you find out.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

The only surging/sputtering I notice is when I am at a COMPLETE stop and the rig is idleing, and it ONLY does it under 1,000 RPM's I just think that is weird myself.

I am definately NOT mechanically inclined...I can build stuff but when it comes to cars, I am sure I could DO it but I am WAY to scared that I will screw something up or not know where it goes after I take it apart. LoL.

Anyway, I think I will take it to Toyota early part of next week and see what they say. They're gonna charge me an arm and a leg because I have to get my Rear Anti-Lock thing checked out too. I think the speed sensors are shot.

Thanks for the help man! I appreciate it, I will be sure to let you know what I find out!!!

Thanks again!!