Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Squealing Power Steering After Dust Bath

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:03 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Squealing Power Steering After Dust Bath

Been on vacation in the desert. I hit a nasty deep section of sand on a road, thought I was going to get stuck, had to come to a stop because I couldn’t see. Since then at startup and turning the wheel to full either way I get a squeal.

Sprayed the belts and pulleys twice now at car wash. Still happening.

Any thoughts/advice?
Old 04-12-2022, 04:49 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Idler pulley bearing. I lived in Az nearl 30 years. I am very familiar with those dust baths , trust me. You can get the entire pulley with bearing assembly. They're cheap, annnd readily available.
Good luck!
Pat☺
Old 04-12-2022, 05:31 PM

I was afraid of that. So it’s toast?

Anything else I should be worried about after all that sand in the engine compartment, or would I know by now if something else got trashed?

Yeah it was terrible. Probably a literal foot or more of powdery sand, plus a tailwind to keep all my own dust up in my face. I didn’t want to stop and possibly get stuck but I couldn’t see an inch in front of my windshield.

Otherwise, I think my only damage is a mangled 7-pin trailer connector. One of those really steep little washes grabbed it.

I think my newish front springs/coils are finally broken in though.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:04 AM

Probably toast, yeah. ANY bearing not really well sealed will be.

Check the diff breathers. They clog, axle seals will start to leak. Esp the rear ones. Then you're up for a brake job, as well as the axle seals. Probably should pop off the drums and make sure there's no crud in there. Maybe change out the diff oil, and tranny/transfer oil as well. That sand/dust gets into everything, and is corrosive and abrasive as hell. If you have any doubt about the front axle half shaft boots, you will most likely need to replace them entirely.

Definitely lube the drive shafts. Front AND back. U Joints, double cardans, sliders. Pump in enough new grease to replace what's in them completely. Watch out for over pressure of the grease in the slider joints. Messy, but essential. Remember, abrasive as all get out.

Check and/or change the oil. Again, gets into everything. Dump the coolant overflow tank and refill it. Drain some coolant from the radiator, and check it for ANY sign of sand. It will destroy the water pump. Check the fan clutch, make sure it gives the whooshing sound when you start the engine, then stops after about 30 seconds to a minute. Any doubt, replace it.

Drain and replace the wiper's washer fluid. Might not hurt to replace the PS fluid as well. Remember, it uses ATF fluid, Dextron 3, NOT normal PS fluid.

Essentially, nearly ANY fluid can have sand in it. Including the brake fluid. Maye time for a complete brake bleed. Clutch as well.

ABSOLUTELY replace the air filter, and check the entire line to the TB. ANY low spot can have sand.

All relatively inexpensive and easy to do, but well worth the time, effort, and small expenses. You will be reducing the chances of more expensive, difficult, work later.

Arizona screwed you, and now you'll have to deal with the joys of being there
Even if you're not still there, you brought it with you.
Have fun! heheheheh...
Pat☺
Old 04-13-2022, 04:05 PM

I’ll check that stuff out…

Air filter yes. I bought a new one but am waiting till I’m back to committed pavement driving to install it.

I’ll check the breathers before heading back north.

I’m in Utah, but yes, same deal! I went to school in Utah and spent a lot of time in the desert then and typically do a yearly trip still, but I’ve never hit this kind of sand before. I blame the drought!

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:41 AM

IF it were me, I'd replace the air filter ASAP. At the very least, take it out and bang it against something hard to knock the loose stuff out.

Breathers are easy. Unscrew them, and blow through them. You'll know right off how bad off they are, if they are. Quite often, blowing through them cleans them out nicely. They come off, and screw back on quite easily. Not a huge torque on them.
Check them any time you've gone through mud, too. They can clog easily in mud. An extension kit can help prevent that sort of thing cheaply. The fuel filler's door area is a popular spot for an extension.

Anywho, good luck to ya! Hope you don't have half the stuff I mentioned, but you need to check it out, you know?
Take care
Pat☺