Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

!!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep thats it- it's a biggin. I have had that hose loose for the last year. I need to tap my charge pipe before the TB and hook it up.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy
This hose is larger than all the rest correct? Looks about 1" in diameter? If so I found it.
Yeup! That's it!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've almost got the install straight in my mind. A couple more VAC line questions though...

Again reference page 20 figure B of the install instructions:

What is the line going in to the "T" connecting the SC to the VSV to the EVAP canister? I looked this over last night, and don't really see an EVAP canister on mine. I see three vac lines ~ 3/8" in diameter over on the driver's side of the motor, but I don't see an EVAP canister per se'. I do see a cluster of electrical plugs and solenoids right beside the fuse box.

The instructions aren't as clear as they should be on the vacuum routing. It looks like you use the supplied plastic "T" and replacing the line coming from the top of the throttle body (metal tube with hose connected) with one supplied with the SC, put in the "T" and connect it to the VSV line?? Here's a picture of the line I'm talking about on top of the throttle body. You can see it in the back of this photo:

If that's correct, which one is the VSV line? I looked around but can't tell.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-24-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 AM

I just posted up a pic of my under-hood in another thread, it'll help here as well:

(click for a larger one)

See the yellow wire on the firewall on the far right hand side? Just in front of it is a box with two domes on it. That's the EVAP canister.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's the set of instructions online for those trying to follow and don't have the instructions handy:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...percharger.pdf

The first page is blank for some reason so "page down" to start the instructions.

IMHO the TRD instructions are some of the best and easiest follow I've ever seen. Speedy have you unboxed the SC yet, some of these questions should be obvious when you look at it.

Here's a pic of a 3.4 evap can, although it's a little busted up:

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-24-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 AM

That's what I thought it was as I remember it from my 99' Taco. However my 2002 4Runner DOES NOT have that unit under the hood. I'll snap a pic tonight and post it up. Where you guys have that box, I have a cluster of electrical connections. There is nothing under my hood that looks like that.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

I think the can got moved in the later models to somewhere in the back, like maybe around the gas tank.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Here's a picture of my engine bay showing where the EVAP is supposed to be. The vacuum lines just go into this big gaggle of "stuff". Based on the vacuum diagrams in the instructions I'm not sure what to do with these. The rest I have figured out. I'm thinking I just "T" into the upper line in that tube cover in the picture? The lower one is the one coming from the air box.
Attached Thumbnails !!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!-noevap.jpg  

Last edited by Speedy; 04-24-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM

holy crazy master cyl there! lol mine is so plain
Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
holy crazy master cyl there! lol mine is so plain
No kiddin'! Dang, what is all that stuff plugged in there???
Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
No kiddin'! Dang, what is all that stuff plugged in there???
Some of it's ABS I believe, some more of it is traction control and vehicle skid control as well. I had to wire in a switch to turn all that off for when I wanted to play.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:42 PM

man to complex!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

All I remember is some guys complaining about the evap can being moved to a place lower and if you over-fill the tank is gets soaked with gas and throws a CEL. Some were even having to replace them to get the CEL to go away.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
All I remember is some guys complaining about the evap can being moved to a place lower and if you over-fill the tank is gets soaked with gas and throws a CEL. Some were even having to replace them to get the CEL to go away.
I've had my 4Runner 4 years and have filled the gas tank to the brim (meaning I can see the fuel in the filler neck) every time I fill up. Never had a CE light.

However, my I did the same thing to my Girlfriend's Honda Accord V6 a couple of times and it did throw a CE light for Evap canister. Did a Google search and found that over filling the tank could cause it.

What I can tell you is that I don't have one in my engine bay, so the question is what to do with the vacuum lines shown in the SC install instructions? I'll give TRD a call tomorrow to ask.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 PM

i too have hnever had this issue. THe evap system is higher then fuel filler neck which helps out in our case

You dont have a evap?
5spds have a 4-5" dia canister and the autos have a large battery like object
Old 04-26-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy
What I can tell you is that I don't have one in my engine bay, so the question is what to do with the vacuum lines shown in the SC install instructions? I'll give TRD a call tomorrow to ask.
Let's back up and take a look at this from the other direction...

The vacuum lines that are in the instructions from the SC and head to the brake booster and the 4WD vacuum switches. I _know_ you have a brake boost and 4WD switches under the hood , so start from there and go the other way, towards the engine. THOSE are the lines that you'll need to move.

Dude, Dale said this as well, but I can't emphasize how much all this makes since once you get the old plenum off and get the SC sitting there on the engine.

I know you want to be careful about this, and that's to be commended, but you kinda' really need to be a Nike commercial and "just do it".
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 AM

sorry for the highjack, just got a quick question tho.

Hey midiwall, you know if yotatech members get a discount @ URD for the complete URD kit??? My s/c is coming off sometime this week or next week to be rebuilt. So i figure nows the best time to get the fuel mods put on.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:24 AM

I really dunno Steve, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask. I know that when I order from Steve/Brian I don't get a discount. Drop 'em a line?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 AM

i sent them an email a few days ago, but i forgot to put a subject in. So im guessing they just thought it was some spam mail??
Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
i too have hnever had this issue. THe evap system is higher then fuel filler neck which helps out in our case

You dont have a evap?
5spds have a 4-5" dia canister and the autos have a large battery like object
EDITED...

I found it in the FSM. Mine is that large gaggle of connections just in front of the M/C.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-26-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: !!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!