Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speeding Ticket Today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, because of the fact that the road that I was on was very hilly, it got spikes a few times before the cop was anywhere near. So, I suppose that if I had heeded the warnings, I wouldn't have been pulled over.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

In my Volvo 850T
1. 85 in 55 (merging and had to gun it to get in front of traffic on a down hill on-ramp. I'm one of those people that can't think/talk while under pressure. It was a simple here is your ticket. I was 16 at the time and was completely shocked. The cop even left before I did.)
2. 42 in 25 - I was with friends at like 11:30 at night, nobody was on the road and I just nailed it leaving a stop sign then was coasting back to normal speed.
After that one I got a Valentine1
3. 70 in 50 - I have a 45min-1hr trip to/from work every day in the summer. I was running late... he had KA instant on and I saw him come around the corner but by the time I put my foot on the brake the V1 was blairing. I saw him turn around and once I saw him approaching I went ahead and pulled over (hoping it would help) but it was the usual, ok, heres your ticket.
With the 4Runner:
4. "wreckless driving" my friend was doing a burnout and someone was getting it on tape. I was like what the heck (it was wet) so I start up, and BAM 3 cops show up. Course the guy with the camera jumps in the car, and not walk away. I am always nice to cops, but these guys were trying to act cool and like they were our friends. They even used big words to make it sound like they had a right to take the tape. Course I learn later that they can't take anything w/o arresting me. Plus, i'm sure it just went in the trash. Oh well.
5. 42 in 30 TOTAL SPEED TRAP. It was right off an on ramp, all the sudden a sign for 35 then come around a corner and there is a sign for 30 and a cop (I had lent my V1 to a buddy). I even had someone following me (I was not trying to speed). grrrr... The cop must have been trying to make quota for the month. He seemed nice, til he went and looked at my record... then i signed and was on my way...
Old 03-07-2003, 08:09 PM

when the cop got me I was coming around a corner, Kinda like Austin was, seen the cop thought about brakes but the radar dector made no sound, so i keep on till we were face to face then wham! KA alert!!!! And i was toasted, but telling the rest of the story to you all, I talked to the officier for a few moments After he wrote the ticket! we shook hands and he said just come to court and I'll take care of it!

he jumped when I told him my dad is best friends with his Lieutenaunt, knowing ppl really does help!
Old 03-07-2003, 08:54 PM

Yeah some of these cops are getting smart by using the "instant-on" feature so they can't be traced. If all cops did that, there would be virtually no use for the radar detectors.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:42 AM

I had a friend tell me about this guy in his fraternity that had a honda with Acura badges all around(he swapped his HOnda ones). and got pulled over. When he went to court to contest it, he brought his registration, and was like "Sir, I don't drive an Acura. I drive a Honda." And they threw it out. I guess if there are some mistakes they have to throw it out.

Maybe I'll swap my Toyota badges out for lexus ones...
Old 03-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

That happend to me with the 42 in a 25. The volvo was debadged and he put volks instead of volvo... oops...
Old 03-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I have only received one speeding ticket in my driving career. I thought it was kind of funny at the time because of the car that I was driving.

I got this ticket back when I owned some pretty fast vehicles. At the time, my daily driver was a '90 Porche 944S. I also had a 10 second '92 Mustang LX, and a '95 Suzuki GSX-R1100.

The ticket was for 85mph in a 55mph. zone. I must have been going downhill with a tail wind because I was driving my winter crasher. It was a '84 Nissan Sentra. I had no Idea that it could even go that fast. I didn't have the guts to tell the cop that he never would have cought me if I were driving any of my other vehicles.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

I've gotten one warning and two tickets.

1. Warning - I was late meeting a friend of mine and went into an intersection as a light was turning red.

2. Ticket - I was going 70 in a 55 around a corner and met a state trooper. I then went around another corner and went out of his sight. I made a quick turn on a side road (I was going that way anyways). I know that he didn't see me because I was at the top of the hill before he turned onto the road. He had a lucky guess and wrote me a ticket for 64 in a 55.

3. Ticket - I was out with an Austin Police Officer who was off duty and a friend of mine (we were in Austin). It just so happens that the cop has a 2002 Mustang GT . Since I'm only 19, I wasn't drinking. They got drunk and I became the DD. Well we were getting on the interstate and cop says,"There isn't any cops from here to Round Rock." Ok, cool. So I'm bookin' back to Round Rock and then he says,"DPS might be out." I was cruising at 85 and right as I topped the hill, there was a State Trooper sitting on the side of the road. He pulled me over and still wrote me a ticket. 77 in a 65. At least it wasn't for 95 . I couldn't take defensive driving for that one though.

I've learned one thing from getting two tickets in 7 months. It doesn't pay to speed. Its not worth the time or the money. And now that I am driving the 4runner with the 3.SLOW (instead of a GT or a reg cab Ram with a 5.9L), I'm not too worried about getting anymore tickets.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:47 AM

I've had very few tickets as I am usually very sedate when I drive but...

1. I was driving my mothers Celica 5 days after I got my licence and got pulled over for going through a yellow light. The motorcycle cop who nabbed me came up and said "nice car..where'd you steal it?" It was my boss from the Navy Reserve! I replied "Nice bike where'd you steal it?" We both had a good laugh and I got off with a warning.

2. I came back from 5 weeks at sea to be met at home by two police officers who were there to arrest me for not appearing in court for a ticket. It turned out that 3 weeks before someone had claimed to be me when they got nabbed for 50 km/h over the limit and had no licence on them. My ship's captain vouched for the fact that we had been at sea and the police dropped the matter. (I think they went after the owner of the car they busted to find out who had been driving it.)

3. I was on a trip to California and decided to open the throttle up a bit as I had just seen two CHP cars going the other way and figured there were no cops around. After I passed a white Acura I see this black car in my rear view mirror closing on me at a great rate of speed. (I was probably at around 100mph at the time) The black car gets up behind me and puts on a solid red light. I thought it was someone pretending to be a cop and I had been warned about highway bandits who were working the highways in those days and would pull you over and rob you so I didn't pull over but instead has my passenger check the map for the nearest police station. As this was unfolding I noticed on a corner that the car had a CHP logo on the side and the distinctive push bumper so I stopped. The cop came up the passenger side and I passed over my ID wallet and registration. The cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I tried to pass off that my speedo was in km/h and I wasn't sure how fast I was going. He smiled and said I knew I was speeding though and I sheepishly replied yes Officer. He ran my registration and my very clean driving record throught the computer and came back and asked me why I hadn't stopped right away when he came up behind me. I explained about what I'd been warned about fake cops and explained that since there were no flashing lights or light bars on his car I thought it was a fake. I got off with 10 over the limit since he noticed the Navy ID card (lucky for me he was in the US Navy before becomming a Chippie). It turns out he was one of the cops I'd seen going the other way and had turned around to nab the Acura!

Last edited by Mack; 03-09-2003 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:30 AM

Wow if I got a ticket every time I did 20 over the limit I would be on a first name basis with every cop around here. The 3.0 is slow, but I still manage to speed every chance I get. No point in going 35 if you can go 55, right?
Old 03-09-2003, 10:51 AM

I got stopped for doing 95 in a 70 and i got away with a warning and a telling off that, was the first time caught for speeding in nearly 20 years and it was the wifes fault as we were going to see her parents that live 100miles away and she said get me there in under two hours as we left the filling station and i said ok but only if you pay the speeding fines . DOH!!! me and my big mouth,
also you guys are lucky, over here we have fixed speeding and red light cameras all over the place and if you forget where they are all you see is a flash flash in the rear view mirror and then the fine comes and thats the end of it if you get 4 in 3 years then it is bye bye licence.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

...if you get 4 in 3 years then it is bye bye licence.
Man, that sucks. I've gotten two tickets in 7 months

I would fight it. How do they know that it was you that was driving the car? Unless they have a picture of your face, I don't think they can do anything.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:36 AM

I've had I guess . . . 5 tickets I think?
Let me first say I am VERY respectful to cops who pull me over.

1) 83 in a 55 - driving home late at night down 30 mile straightaway and virtually no traffic. Cop was an a-hole.

2) Illegal U-turn. - Construction closed my exit, so I was turning around in the interstate median to get it from the other Direction. Cop was a huge a-hole

3) Unsafe start - Spinning tires for about 30 feet off a light in my Ranger. At night, I didnt see the cop 3 cars back. Cop was an a-hole

4) Speeding 48 in a 30. My road at night. Instant on radar. This happened 2 weeks after the u-turn. Went and talked to the prosecutor and he dropped the u-turn, and I went to driving school for this one. Cop was an a-hole

5) Cop pulled over 3 of us doing 50 in a 30, ran a stop sign, just after drag racing. The lead driver (girl who cries) gets us off with no tickets. Cop was an a-hole at first, but nice after she cried.

6) Speeding 65 in a 45 while around the Grand Canyon - with snowy icy roads - Whoaaah!! Cop crested a hill and I couldnt slow down. Cop seemed really scared of us. I guess it was the car - Rental Neon with about an inch of mud on all panels, 3 guys, and they were park guys anyway.

7) Speeding 50 in a 35. Got a warning cause I was from out of town, following someone, and didnt know where I was. Cop was nice, and gave me directions after my guide took off.

8) Got pulled over on my road again doing 43 in a 30. He came around a corner about 1/2 mile up, I got the pulse radar (through trees), and I hit the brakes. He was turned around waiting before I ever got up to him. When he came up, he looked up at the dash and laughed, and said. Fuzz buster didnt work huh? He described my speed at ~45 then [Sound effect] wheeww [/sound effect] down to 28. I think they got another call, cause he came back and told me to slow down. Yippee! Cop was nice.

That was in the last 7 years, but I've been cop free for 2 years now. Yea!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's just say that I have a problem with carbon build up from sitting in traffic all the time and feel a need to keep the acel pedal on the floor whenever I can. I guess I'm just lucky, or they see my truck and don't believe that I can go that fast. I have had one ticket since I have been driving.
Going to Ocean City, MD on Rt. 50, long flat well tree'd road. The State Boy's had a nice little speed trap set up, with 2 cops in a uttility trucks cherry picker high atop the tree lines (you would have to be looking for airplanes to see them) shooting radar and about 10 on the ground to pull over the cars they caught. Got a ticket for doing 78 -n- 55.
Now came the fun part. Went to court to contest the ticket, plead not guilty and wanted to address the court. Judge very nicely asked me what I wanted to say. I had the judge ask the officer if he was the officer that issued the speeding ticket. Cop replied "yes sir", then had him ask the cop if he was the one that was running the radar gun, cop replied "NO Sir". Then asked the judge if that officer was present, he said "no and where are you going with this?" I then asked the judge if it was in my rights to face my accuser and since this officer only issued the ticket and was not wittness to the radar reading and the other officer was not there to verify the reading I would like the charges dropped. Judge aggreed to drop not only my ticket but asked that all the cases for that particular ticket session by dissmissed. Made alot of friends that day, enemies too. Got out of the court room as fast as I could and drove 2 miles under the speed limit all the way home.