Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speed (rev) limiter kicked in or whay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed (rev) limiter kicked in or whay?

Well, hi everyone, as I was drive on the local interstate this evening, I was traveling about 65 MPH and then I took the truck out of overdrive and "punched" it. The speed got up to about 100 MPH and then all of sudden the truck "lost" power and the tech went down to about 3000 RPM and stayed there until the speedo slowed down to about 70 MPH. I almost crap myself as I thought that I had blown up the motor. What happened? Did the limiter kicked in or what? Did you guys think I caused any damage to my truck? I was kind of frustrated as someone in a hurry to get to church just rear ended me yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

2003 Tacoma Prerunner DC V6 w/ TRD SC, TRD headers, TRD exhaust. :cry:
Old 01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

The ECU has a speed limiter set up at 105 or 108 mph? You shouldn't have done any damage though.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With my Pathfinder I hit the rev limited in 1st and 2nd all the time, don't think the truck had a speed limiter cause it ran out of speed at 115 and could not go any faster, you cause no damage.

Your Tacoma has the SC so with that I thought the ECU got reprogramed and removed the limiter, where is the guy who had his tacoma up to 150+ running with a mustang GT I thought that was the whole point of the mod was speed 100 is not fast
Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Speed (rev) limiter kicked in or whay?

Originally posted by Supercharged
The speed got up to about 100 MPH and then all of sudden the truck "lost" power and the tech went down to about 3000 RPM and stayed there until the speedo slowed down to about 70 MPH.
With a rev limiter it should just sit there and bounce not drop the engine speed back down to 3K and make the vehicle slow down. That is, unless there is something I don't know. As for the speed limiter, it should only make you slow down a little before returning full power back to the vehicle.

Did you let your foot off the gas after the vehicle "lost power"? Did you keep it to the floor and just watch the vehicle slow down?

I don't think you did any damage but that seems a little odd to me. Just watch your tach and when the time comes for OD, give it to her and keep the pedal to the floor.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Speed (rev) limiter kicked in or whay?

Originally posted by AgRunner06
With a rev limiter it should just sit there and bounce not drop the engine speed back down to 3K and make the vehicle slow down. That is, unless there is something I don't know. As for the speed limiter, it should only make you slow down a little before returning full power back to the vehicle.
Given the symptoms, he hit the speed limiter - I've done it a few times.

The speed limiter works by retarding the timing the the point that the engine's barely running and basically just blowing raw fuel out the exhaust. The lag in getting power back is from the timing coming back up, then the ECU recovering from the front O2 sensor screaming that something's wrong (based on the weird A/F ratior) and then finally the excess fuel being burned out of all the nooks and crannies.

Supercharged; Like other folks have said, the engine's fine.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by EDGE
Your Tacoma has the SC so with that I thought the ECU got reprogramed and removed the limiter, where is the guy who had his tacoma up to 150+ running with a mustang GT I thought that was the whole point of the mod was speed 100 is not fast
say who? the ecu is not re-programmed when the s/c is installed... plus the 01&up came with tamperproof ecu's.. u cant get anything to modify it with... the guy who got up to 150 obviously couldnt do it lookin at the stock speedo.. do you know if he was 5spd or auto? on 5spd trannies there is a blue wire... splice in a switch to that wire and you will beat the limiter.. but lose everything.. no speedo, no odo!! (big fraud!) or you could opt for URD's speed unlimiter... at certain speeds.. there is a signal going to the ecu.. when a certain signal is emitted (108mph) the ecu will cut power to the engine... nifty trick.. URD's device sends a constant signal that wont make the ecu cut power.. pretty nifty.. $140 is kinda pricey.. but worth it

http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merc...gory_Code=PERF

Last edited by AFP520; 01-13-2004 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:57 PM

He has a 5speed, think he rewired it to remove the speed limiter, has almost every possible mod on his tacoma.

Their was a post and he mentioned how Mustang GT's and certain model year cobras he could beat

I wonder where he is
Old 01-13-2004, 08:10 PM

i beat mustang gt's too... and i dont think he could "rewire" to remove the speed limiter.. its either cut the wire and splice a switch, or you use some type of device like gadget has on www.urdusa.com
Old 01-13-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
by the way numnut....the blue wire is the wrong wire!!! i dont know what your cutting... dont cut wires if you dont know what they do.

its green with orange tracer to remove speed limiter---or, you could make a 555 timer output a contstant rate square wave to the ecu to prevent check eng lights. thats probably what gadget is selling on his website... i wonder how much the markup is on a 32cent part?

T
Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 PM

yea "numnut" do your research before talking ˟˟˟˟

http://www.nsmfinance.com/toyota/gobaby.htm

and if you know how to make the part einstein.. why dont you build one and sell it???
Old 01-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds to me like you went down the backside of a rather steep power curve. ie, you went past peak power to the point where power decreased significantly with rpm increase. Quite common in all sorts of applications. I used to run into the phenomenon at 4000 rpm or so, I have no rev limiter of any kind. Rev limiters are usually set before this point because it isn't always that good for an engine to run in this rpm range, it's much better to have power increase with rpm rather than decrease.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM

My 2002 Taco will only go to about 104 mph before the speed limiter kicks in, I thought ˟˟˟˟˟ I broke my truck, but heck that was 1 1/2yrs ago and she is running like a top.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

umm iv beat a mustang gt he got me off the line but i got him in the end. also my friends s/c and headered only 4runner smashed on a few mustang gt's and one wrx
Old 01-15-2004, 07:51 PM

ok---- you and that guy are both STUPID!!

do you realize that disconnecting the tranny mounted speed sensor could be detrimental to the auto trans???

by the way, i was the original person to do the mod and my way is the REAL way--that whole website is full of B.S. Even gadgets device works off the same wire that controls the speed sensor. just because some random person has a digital camera does not mean that they are doing something involving any bit of intelligence. -- I bet if i disconnected the check engine light, then the engine wont think there is anything wrong! right!. And while im at it, dont tell me to do research, i have a degree in EE and for your information-- i have already built a device using a 555 and a 2n2201 to do the same thing--but i wont disclose the plans because i want gadget to make a profit. Whomever put up that website is a complete amateur without understanding of how an ECU utilizes the sensor information. I did more research than you could ever imagine, did you know that the green/orange from the ecu is the sole wire for the speed sensor shutdown? betcha didnt , i also bet you didnt know that it is negative edge triggered by a rotating magnet on the tranny output shaft--and that that wire also provides data for the auto trans ECU for shift points.

If I put up a website showing a hole cut in the middle of the hood for increased horsepower, i would be neither intelligent nor correct. This is what happened with the "lets be a retard and start disconnecting random wires and see what happens!" website. AFP520, you should only listen to people who actually know what they are talking about (like me).

T
Old 01-15-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Duffdog
ok---- you and that guy are both STUPID!!

do you realize that disconnecting the tranny mounted speed sensor could be detrimental to the auto trans???

that that wire also provides data for the auto trans ECU for shift points.

AFP520, you should only listen to people who actually know what they are talking about (like me).T
..............you better do your research before commenting on somebody elses work/mod. it might just be a blue wire on a MANUAL transmission :pat:

Old 01-15-2004, 09:23 PM

~snip~
"AFP520, you should only listen to people who don't actually know what the hell they are talking about (like Duffy)"
~snip~

You are the smartest....I mean your an ass Duff.......
Sorry you didn't come up with it first but there are several ways of doing one thing
Hell I perfer the cut first approach that way you learn
Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 PM

hmmmm.....

so what exactly are you showing me...a picture of a manual tranny? guess what, i have a manual tranny too!! the point was not to disconect any wires from the transmission. I see that you havent removed the glove box for the speed governor wire in that very same picture.....
The point of my post was that you can disconnect the wire that only goes to the speed governor and nothing else. Of course if you really want to screw up your truck, then dont listen to me--i like how u took off the shift knobs to disconnect the governor--pretty smart dude....course, you can do anything any number of ways, you can fix the engine by scrapping the truck too huh..

my method works in all cases without exception. sorry, but nice try. if there was the possibility that i was wrong, then i would admit it. but theres not.

T
Old 01-16-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by Duffdog
And while im at it, dont tell me to do research, i have a degree in EE
i knew when i called him einstein i wasnt kidding... well FYI watever electronic device you made to do the same as gadgets.. why not put it up on the net? dont be a ˟˟˟˟˟ if it will make you money :cry: and nothing happens to a manual trans if u cut the blue wire... the speedo goes to 0, no miles track, and there is no governor... no its not the cleanest way to do the mod, but its the cost of some wire and a switch for the speed demons. In life, there are people who do things cleanly, and jimmy rigg things while looking nasty. But in the end, if it gets the job done... thats all that matters. Einstein
Old 01-16-2004, 10:22 AM

that pic was from the link Duffy.........

Have you ever seen a wire harness for a 71 FJ, AFP520's mod is cleaner than that......
Old 01-16-2004, 01:20 PM

i was just saying that if you do all that research then you should have clicked on the link and then you would have noticed that dude was doing this mod on a manual transmission and all your points were talking about an automatic transmission.

so your points seemed alittle off

i dont even have a toyota that will even come close to 100mph

Quick Reply: Speed (rev) limiter kicked in or whay?