Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speaker Depth in a 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Depth in a 3rd Gen?

I was wondering what the max speaker depth in a 3rd Gen would be. I am looking at getting either the CDT CL-61 ($150 now at thezeb.com) or the Infinity 60.5CS. I have had Infinity before, so I know they would be a good choice, but I have heard rave reviews of the CDT's but never actually heard them. Anyone want to give me their opinion on these? Should these fit without any MAJOR modifications? Thanks!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:59 PM

Infinity 60.5CS should fit fine in the front doors.

-- Andrey
Old 10-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

bump

thanks Andrey...any opinions on the CDT's?
Old 10-25-2003, 06:09 PM

I personally have Infinity and I'm very pleased with the way they sound. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to listen to CDTs, so I can't comment there.

-- Andrey
Old 10-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

is anyone using CDT components?

Is anyone using CDT CL-61 Components in a 3rd Gen. I searched but couldn't find any threads. Thanks!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you doing front, rear or both doors?

These are 6.5"'rs, right? The front will fit without modifications in terms of diameter, and _probably_ depth. In a quick Google search, I couldn't find how deep these were.

The rear speakers MIGHT be a problem in terms of diameter, they _WILL_ be a problem in terms of depth.

On my 96 Limited, I put 6.5" speakers into the rear doors without having to do any sheet metal cutting. But, on a friend's 99 SR5, I had to cut out the speaker holes. I don't know if it was a difference in year, or the SR5 to the Limited, or that I had the "premium" sound system in my Limited. The only way to know for sure will be to try it. If you do have to cut metal, it's not a big thing. I used a Dremel tool.

But, both trucks had depth issues. I had to fashion 1/2" spacer rings from MDF so that the speakers would allow the rear windows to go down all the way. In both installs, I used Kenwood KFC-1738's, which are 1 3/4" deep.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

yes i am looking at 6.5 in the front doors and 5.25 in the rear doors. Excuse my ignorance, but what is MDF? The CDT's look mighty deep...check this link. http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html

Thanks MIDI!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:17 AM

Well, I have a pair of Koda seperates in my doors, these are 6.5s. They have a mounting depth of 3", the CDTs have 2 7/8". You can definately fit the CDTs in there but you will have to use the MDF (mid density fiberboard) rings as mentioned in the previous post. You can get a sheet of MDF at Home Depot for like 8 dollars or so. Get the 1/2 " thick one, this should allow enough space for the woofer magnet to clear the window. I would get the CDTs, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about them. For that price, nothing comes close. Good luck to ya, let us know how it sounds.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

CDT's installed...wow!!!

I installed the CDT-CL61a's in the front doors and the CDT-CL5X in the rears this past weekend. A bit time consuming but well worth it. I used 1/2" MDF spacer rings in the front doors that I fabricated using the rings that came with the speakers to achieve the correct depth. I used the rear speaker template from Steve: http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/polk.html and it worked without a hitch! 1/2" MDF worked for both applications. The crossovers were mounted on the upper portion of the front stock speaker mounts on the reverse side for a clean looking install. Now for the amp/sub install to be completed soon. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
What fits my car?

Check this link for LOADS of info.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...01&vehicleid=0

Old 11-04-2003, 10:18 AM

Re: CDT's installed...wow!!!

Originally posted by saintsteve
I installed the CDT-CL61a's in the front doors and the CDT-CL5X in the rears this past weekend. A bit time consuming but well worth it. I used 1/2" MDF spacer rings in the front doors that I fabricated using the rings that came with the speakers to achieve the correct depth. I used the rear speaker template from Steve: http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/polk.html and it worked without a hitch! 1/2" MDF worked for both applications. The crossovers were mounted on the upper portion of the front stock speaker mounts on the reverse side for a clean looking install. Now for the amp/sub install to be completed soon. Thanks for the input!!!
Everyone is raving about those speakers on www.caraudioforum.com what are your impressions of them? I am really close to buying those speakers exact speakers (cl61a's and cl5x) so I'd really like to know your impressions are. also did you buy them from www.thezeb.com ? If you did, how did the transaction go?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Crutchfied is a great place to buy from, but the prices, IMO, are not that great. They will only help you if you buy from them (speaker install kits, wiring harnesses, technical support, etc) and since I was not buying from them I had to turn to the great land of YOTATECH!!! Thank god for this forum!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: CDT's installed...wow!!!

Originally posted by Nolan
Everyone is raving about those speakers on www.caraudioforum.com what are your impressions of them? I am really close to buying those speakers exact speakers (cl61a's and cl5x) so I'd really like to know your impressions are. also did you buy them from www.thezeb.com ? If you did, how did the transaction go?

These speakers rock. No pun intended The image staging is spectacular, couple that with the Digital Time Correction on the Alpine CDA-9813 and the sound is literally in your face...BLAM!!! The mids are perfect (not muddy) and the 3/4" tweeters are crystal clear. Granted I am just running them off of my 9813 (which is 60W max X 4 or ~30W X 4 RMS) In the future I am planning on getting a seperate amp to run the fronts, but for now the head unit will do. If you need pictures let me know, I would be happy to take some and send 'em your way or here on Yotatech, either way. I placed the order on a Monday and had them at my house by Wednesday afternoon...(They are in NC and I am in GA) free shipping too. The folks at the zeb kept me updated of my order with timely emails and tracking info. Hope this helps and good luck. I would not hesitate reccomending these speakers to anyone
Old 11-04-2003, 10:53 AM

St.Steve, is Bethlham near Roswell, GA at all? IF so I'd like to hear those CDTs, I heard the midbass was mediocre but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. Also I'd like to see those MDF rings that you made, can you post some pics of the install? I'm in the process of hooking up my system and would like to do some comparisons..
Old 11-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Stout...Bethlehem is near Athens. I will take some pictures and post them here on Yotatech or send them to you via email, as time allows. If you would like to hear them that would be no problemo. you can shoot me an email ugadawg95@hotmail.com and we could hook up. I didn't hear that the mids were mediocre, but they sound fine to me. i guess to each his own.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:30 PM

What did you do about the factory tweeters that sit up on the front door? Did you just leave them dead or stick the new ones in there?
Old 11-04-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by chuckd
What did you do about the factory tweeters that sit up on the front door? Did you just leave them dead or stick the new ones in there?
You weren't necessarily asking me, but I'm rarely one not to offer an opinion.

I've flipped back and forth between leaving them active, replacing them with something "better" and disconnecting them all-together. At the moment, they're disconnected.

When I replaced them with something more efficient and able to handle more power, the top end got too bright up past 14khz. I could peel it out with a graphic EQ, but given how much I had to reduce the top end, coupled with the bandwidth of the EQ, and I lost too much at around 12khz.

Depending on what you're looking for in your final sound, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

I took them out and just left the brackets in there in case I wanted to re-install them if I ever sold the Runner (did I just say that? arrrrrgh) I dremeled out the sail plate to allow fitment of the new tweeter. It worked perfectly. There were about 3 or 4 mounting options that came with the tweeters. I chose the one with the lip around the edge and slid it into the hole I dremeled out of the sail plate. Tight as a drum and now the tweeters are more "up front" than with the stock setup. I will get some pictures up soon. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 AM

I'm considering just leaving the front tweeters in and getting some Alpine 6.5 type s coaxs for the front. Someone in a different thread recommended them and they're only $50 on ebay. I was told by a guy at a local shop that replacing the rears is a waste of time, given where they are situated, but I want to put a compnent set in anyway just for s's and g's. Is the difference noticable? Oh, I am getting an alpine cda-7897 cd player. Good choice?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:08 PM

I was told by a guy at a local shop that replacing the rears is a waste of time, given where they are situated, but I want to put a compnent set in anyway just for s's and g's. Is the difference noticable?
_YES_.

The difference comes from the acoustic properties of "muddy bass" - which is what those lovely stock speakers are giving you.

Mud travels far in the audio world. It sits in your carpet, in the back of your seats, in your door panels, in your dashboard, up in the footwells. And once it's there, it stays and becomes stagnant.

The best weapon against Mud is Clean, and that starts at the speaker itself.

Fill your door panels with something - fiberglass is cheap and popular - then line your door panels with dense matting, and replace those rear speakers.

Quick Reply: Speaker Depth in a 3rd Gen?