Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Source for wiring harness parts (connectors)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:03 PM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Source for wiring harness parts (connectors)?

Hey,
so after chasing a p0330 code for a while and nearly pulling my hair out I have figure out it is the connector on the ECU side (that the knock sensor sub harness plugs into) that is my problem. Is there anywhere I can buy that connector with pig tail new or do I have to look for a 2nd hand harness?

Thanks folks!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdh
Hey,
so after chasing a p0330 code for a while and nearly pulling my hair out I have figure out it is the connector on the ECU side (that the knock sensor sub harness plugs into) that is my problem. Is there anywhere I can buy that connector with pig tail new or do I have to look for a 2nd hand harness?

Thanks folks!
I don't know where you can buy ready with pigtail. The dealer can sell you the empty connector housing and the the repair wires needed to make one. A 'repair wire' is a terminal with a short length of wire attached. I don't know about your dealer, but nobody at mine is smart enough to do this. But if you give them the part numbers, they can get them.

You can get the part numbers needed out of this 418 page piece of official Toyota goodness:

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/file/f...RM1022E%29.pdf

If you can find a five digit number embossed on the connector, that makes life easier. Just tack that on to 90980- and that is your connector part number. Then look it up in the manual, and that will tell you the number and type of repair wires needed, and their part numbers. Or you can match your connector to the pictures. Then take those part numbers to the dealer and buy them. If it's a lot of wires, it's not cheap.

Or, if you tell me exactly what connector you need, and exactly what truck you have, I can probably look up the part number for you in my EWD collection.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 AM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy lamb!!!
Thank you!! That repair manual is indespensable! I could have used it one thousand times in the past 20 or so years....
I have found my connector housing and repair wire. One question, have you ever ordered repair wires? I see the one I need (82998-12430) and it is 15$. Do you know if that is just one 160mm wire with the terminal and packing?
Seems kinda steep.

Thank you again!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdh
Holy lamb!!!
Thank you!! That repair manual is indespensable! I could have used it one thousand times in the past 20 or so years....
I have found my connector housing and repair wire. One question, have you ever ordered repair wires? I see the one I need (82998-12430) and it is 15$. Do you know if that is just one 160mm wire with the terminal and packing?
Seems kinda steep.

Thank you again!
That repair guide is a wealth of info, but it took me forever to find the housing I needed. The drawings are good, but then I googled to find pictures to confirm . Manual also includes nice cut-a-ways showing how the terminal locks into the housing and even provides instructions on how to fabricate a tool to remove the terminal.

Like TheDurk said, my local dealer said their machine only shows them the entire harness, but if you do the leg work and find the part number, they can order. Instead, I ordered several connectors from http://www.cycleterminal.com/ They seem to specialize in Japanese motorcycles, but many of the connectors and housing are interchangeable. Prices are fair (about half of the dealer), shipping was $6.95 USPS priority and they shipped essentially same day. I ordered at 9:00pm Tue night and they shipped Wed. Was hoping they would arrive today, but tracking number still shows them in Philly, so cannot yet comments on quality, but so far, I am happy with cycleterminal

They have kits with male/female terminals, but I just ordered a few individual pieces, plus the housings I needed and the release tool.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdh
Holy lamb!!!
Seems kinda steep.

Thank you again!
Yeah, I warned you they are not cheap.

I generally buy just the housing and maybe the one wire that is broken and reuse the good ones. Thank goodness the housings are reasonably priced. Some repair wires cost less than $15, that is steep. I can see that for a knock sensor, they might be all be toast because of the hostile environment in the middle of the engine. Those same terminals are used a lot of different places, so often I can find wires in a junkyard car that can be repurposed. I have a few old harnesses I keep around just for this purpose. As you can see from the list, that 12430 wire is used a pantload of places. You can even check out a late model Corolla, say, and find newer ones.

Somewhere I had a link for a generic supplier that someone gave me, but you have to go from the dimension specs and it looked iffy as to fit. I never tried it.

Imagine a pigtail for a 23-wire ECU connector....I've rebuilt them, but only with used wires.

Last edited by TheDurk; 12-16-2016 at 08:50 AM.