Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

So, is Toyota listening? 4wd to 4x4 on mudflaps?

Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, is Toyota listening? 4wd to 4x4 on mudflaps?

I made a comment I think around 2 years ago at least. I'm not sure if it was on this discussion board or any of the other toyota or truck discussion boards I frequent (I think It might have been on pickuptruck.com as I post on there a bit and there is a lot of posts in their war room comparing trucks which I find very entertaining and at the same time interesting as well considering how much of a Toyota enthusiast and loyalist I am). But what I said was to the effect of one of the things I liked and hope Toyota would copy was the "4x4" on the mudflaps that Dodge has. I thought it looked cooler and was more bold (I'm not saying I like Dodges, but Dodge's simple, to the point, bold, no BS decalling/badging/lettering is one of the things I do like about their trucks) . I liked it better than the 4wd Toyota has put on their mudflaps for years and years and I made a point to note that in the thread I was posting in. Well I find it particularly interesting that Toyota has since changed with the advent of their new Tacoma the mud flaps from 4wd which they had on every truck up to the 04 Tacoma, to "4x4" on the 05 plus tacoma's. I'm not trying to toot my horn but I wonder if Toyota read what I said and took it to heart, as I've never come accross anyone with that opinion expressed on a BB, not to say others don't have it, but to have expressed it.

Now after seeing the 4x4 on their mudflaps, I must say the way it looks is kinda ug. The font is really flowery and should be more straight lined and simple. They either gotta change it to something more bold with the 4x4, or after seeing the 4x4, I kinda almost think they might wanna consider changing it back to 4wd as I kinda really like the Toyota heritage in that regard.

Anyways, I just wonder I guess?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 11-29-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like "4WD" better.
Toyota, change it back now.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

4WD is the only way.....
Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM

on my 65 scout it said AWD. that was cool.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Internet is a pretty big place... not sure if they'd pay someone just to go to every single Toyota enthusiast site and read every single thread authored.

EDIT:
To finish the thought, I think the change on the mudflaps is just an adaptation to market demand. A major (but stupid) concern for automobiles is cupholders. I get into my Tacoma and see 6 cupholders for 5 passengers!
I'm sure Nissan came up with their NISMO stuff because Toyota has such good results with TRD.

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 11-29-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM

i wish they were just black and didn't say anything on them. ...but that's just my opinion.

what's really wierd are the "Fx4" or something like that on the fords. ...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO, nismo is better than TRD, they actually seem to make some good useful products for their older cars(datsun 510 comes to mind) rather than finding a few aftermarket products, rebadging them as TRD and selling them at a greatly inflated price.

and my truck says "TOYOTA 4WD" on the side in big chrome letters. it's a toyota thing "4x4" is everybody else...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Internet is a pretty big place... not sure if they'd pay someone just to go to every single Toyota enthusiast site and read every single thread authored.
Yeah but remember that pickuptruck.com is a discussion board of a unique flavour. And one thing it has that I don't think any other discussion boards of an automobile nature has is a "war room," where we would debate to end the best truck and the best this and that of this truck and that. I mean the threads in their can be hilarious, but I can also tell you, you will find a lot of honest truck buyers and owners in there who will tell you what they want and look for. Some of it immature, yes? but are all truck buyers/owners/the guys with the $$$ to pony it up mature? Hell NO. So I think a lot of criticisms and info can be garnered there from a manufacturer instead of some of the bias stuff you may find on an enthusiasts site. Now one thing enthusiasts sites ARE good for is finding problems and potential for continual upgrades with vehicles, because there are so many owners and all can offer their input. Good for continually upgrading and improving your product as well as seeking input. But if you're looking for info on general direction I think P/Utruck dot com is a good site as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Hey CoedNaked.

Ask them to start making 85 4runners again.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Banned

Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
and my truck says "TOYOTA 4WD" on the side in big chrome letters.
That is one of my favorite things form those trucks. Maybe I'll get from for myself, since Toyota decided 3rd Gen 4Runners don't need mudflaps that say "4WD".
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Banned

This Thread could use some photos.
I must say I do like the 4WD much Better then the 4x4. To me 4x4 is lumber. :xmas7:
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Yeah but remember that pickuptruck.com is a discussion board of a unique flavour...
More so than finding it hard to believe that Toyota is going to pay someone to surf the world wide web for design and function ideas is the thought that they'd pay someone to surf the net for design and function ideas at only one site.

Remember, this is a company that tends to be *much* more thorough than its competition. I can understand some exceptions like a Toyota appearance at a TTORA takeover but that's something entirely different.

I think you'll get farther contacting Toyota about suggestions/criticisms and asking them to do something about it than posting it online and expecting them to find it and take the initiative to act on it.

Just my opinion, anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by NathanBERG
This Thread could use some photos.
I must say I do like the 4WD much Better then the 4x4. To me 4x4 is lumber. :xmas7:
4x4=16

What the hell is FX4? You see it on all the Ford truck now. I assume it means F&*%ed X 4, because that is waht happens when you buy a Ford.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

.....my truck says "TOYOTA 4WD" on the side in big chrome letters. it's a toyota thing "4x4" is everybody else...
Oh, man, that makes me miss my 82... :cry:
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
That is one of my favorite things form those trucks. Maybe I'll get from for myself, since Toyota decided 3rd Gen 4Runners don't need mudflaps that say "4WD".
even cooler, i stumbled across a pile of emblems on ebay a few days ago. i probably should have bidded on them. the emblems were brand new in their plastic bags, there were 2 '79-83 side badges that said "hilux 4WD" instead of "toyota 4WD" on them. would've been a cool piece to have, but i didn't want to bother with the shipping from the UK.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Hey CoedNaked.

Ask them to start making 85 4runners again.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

even cooler, i stumbled across a pile of emblems on ebay a few days ago. i probably should have bidded on them. the emblems were brand new in their plastic bags, there were 2 '79-83 side badges that said "hilux 4WD" instead of "toyota 4WD" on them. would've been a cool piece to have, but i didn't want to bother with the shipping from the UK.

That would have been very cool. I have toyed (get it? - "toyed" ) with the idea of removing the Taco badges and getting some original toyota 4wd badges. But then again, ".....Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 AM

also found one of the cool old die cast front "T" emblems from a '76 hilux. i think it went for $3 or something. would've been a cool paperweight
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Tell them to start making the tri-colored SR5 stripes like the 1983 pickups had! They were awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, is Toyota listening? 4wd to 4x4 on mudflaps?