95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

So I AMSOIL'd, Seafoamed, etc, and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I AMSOIL'd, Seafoamed, etc, and...

WOW!

Over 101,000 miles and it literally feels like a new rig now! Well, the shocks are worn so it doesn't handle like a new truck ... but the engine positively PURRS now!

- I used Seafoam in the intake, first I did the 1/3 can (about 5oz) and let it sit for 2 hours. Burned it all out, then did a second treatment of 3oz with only a 20 minute sit time. Actually made more smoke the second time around... Inserted through the PVC vacuum line.
- Put the remaining 8oz of Seafoam in my 1/4-full gas tank.
- Took off the entire intake system up to the throttle body, and cleaned the hell out of it. Would have taken the TB off too if I wasn't pressed for time and sunlight. Used Throttle Body cleaner (note - this is NOT carb cleaner!) on the TB and cleared out a ton of gunk, also cleaned off the linkages and mechanisms (the TB cleaner lubricates them too, got rid of an annoying squeak in there).
- Cleaned and re-oiled the air filter as usual every oil change.
- Used AMSOIL Engine Flush per the product directions. Oil started out a nice dark brown (5k miles on a synthetic from the local lube place). Came out BLACK. I mean absolutely black. Never seen oil like this, but it means the cleaner worked. I also shined my flashlight into the oil fill hole on the valve cover before and after and noticed things were much prettier afterwards.
- Began using AMSOIL XL7500 10W40 synthetic oil. We'll have to wait and see how this holds up but everyone swears by it, and my motor seems to like it.

Results so far?

Engine is noticably quieter. Like, sitting inside with the window up you can barely tell the thing is even running with the radio off. VERY quiet now. Valve chatter is gone, really about the only noise I get from it is the squeaking from my 101k-mile belts which need replacing, and the air from the fan spinning. Slight sort of something that lets you know the motor is alive and kicking. No vibration, no roughness whatsoever.

Engine is also noticably quicker! There is no hesitation, and it definitely gained horsepower across the band. Like, puts you back in your seat power gains. Which, at Denver altitude, is pretty cool I think. Makes me want for the supercharger I can't afford. Gas mileage seems to be better but I haven't put enough miles on it to tell yet, plus I've been enjoying the new power. We'll see over the next couple fillups how it does.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it feels like I just drove it off the showroom floor, in terms of how this engine is running now. Definitely follow the advice on this board in terms of the products used above - I did, and feel like I could put another 101,000 miles on this thing right now with no problems. GOOD STUFF!!!

Last edited by denverbikeguy; 07-15-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Great post, my 98 has 128k now on it and I really need to do some of that stuff. Thanks for the motivation!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

WOW!!

I did the SeaFoam already, with moderate improvements, but now I'm excited/motivated again to finish the rest of the intake/TB! Also gonna clean the MAF too.

Switching to synthetic scares the crap out of me at 176k miles, but hell...if it leaks, I get it fixed. Since I've committed to having this truck for a LONG time, I may as well treat it nice now and have it last for that LONG time.

What about that annoying squeak you had? Like a hamster's wheel up top? I have that, it drives me insane.

Happy trails, and Many, Many more miles!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 PM

I did the seafoam thing, and I think I will soon the TB clean and amsoil flush. Where did you get your amsoil flush stuff and oil? I think I got my filter from gadgets site, but that was a long time a go.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yadda, yadda, yadda...Trying to make us all jealous...I did the Seafoam, working on the AutoRX rinse, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my 3.0 and I still can't lay scratch in 3 gears.

But mine is running great also and still gets pretty close to 19mpg in the city or cruising 70 mph. And haven't had any big changes in mileage but have gained some ponies....and with 4000+ lbs and the 3.0....ponies is all they are.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 AM

I have an 88 22 RE with tons of miles and used the sea foam treatment after reading the posts here...It now idels perfectly, accelerates better and seems to be smoother with decceleration as well.

One thing that I have done that has made a HUGE differerence is using synthetic oil in my rear diff. I couldn't believe what a noticable improvement it made. Now all I have to do is hopefully tighten the diff pinion nut to take the play out of my propellor shaft and all will be dandy.