Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

So Bright!!!!

Old 06-29-2003, 04:02 PM
FROSTY

Talking So Bright!!!!

Got my wiring harness installed—it’s a super duty 12 gauge—you should have seen how bright the stock 55/60 watts were compared to the original—but when I put the 90/100’s in---WOW---hehe wait till somebody flashes me

FROSTY
Old 06-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So Bright!!!!

Originally posted by FROSTY
Got my wiring harness installed—it’s a super duty 12 gauge—you should have seen how bright the stock 55/60 watts were compared to the original—but when I put the 90/100’s in---WOW---hehe wait till somebody flashes me

FROSTY
Where'd you get the harness? any pics of the install?
Old 06-29-2003, 05:05 PM
FROSTY

Got the harness at Suvlights.com---looks like good quality(its the super heavy duty version--its actually two harnesses with 4 relays)--each has a 30 amp fuse--1 is long and the other is short. I can send some pics in a few weeks--my camera is in Tonga right now! You pay through pay-pal--ordered it Monday--got here Saturday--their customer service isn't real hot--think they run the place outa their garage....... I'm happy with the prodcut though Can't wait to get the TJM and the lightforce.......
Old 06-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FROSTY
Got the harness at Suvlights.com---looks like good quality(its the super heavy duty version--its actually two harnesses with 4 relays)--each has a 30 amp fuse--1 is long and the other is short. I can send some pics in a few weeks--my camera is in Tonga right now! You pay through pay-pal--ordered it Monday--got here Saturday--their customer service isn't real hot--think they run the place outa their garage....... I'm happy with the prodcut though Can't wait to get the TJM and the lightforce.......
I chatted with the dude from suvlights.com while he dropped by the forum one day but he didn't seem to want to sell me the super heavy duty one, he seemed to want to push me to the universal one. I guess that's why I'm still investigating my options.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:02 PM
FROSTY

I read up on Daniel Stern--he has a pretty good web site--you may want to check that out. Try doing a search.... I would sure recomend the heavy duty set up--I'll send some pics when I get the camera back. It was quick to install and if there was ever a problem I could disconnect the harness on the roadside and use the factory setup. Let me know which route you end up going.

FROSTY
Old 06-30-2003, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
I chatted with the dude from suvlights.com while he dropped by the forum one day but he didn't seem to want to sell me the super heavy duty one, he seemed to want to push me to the universal one. I guess that's why I'm still investigating my options.
Did he give you a reason why you shouldn't go for the heavy duty?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

so what exactly does a heavy duty wiring harness do? im guessing allows more juice to flow to the lights thus making them brighter? or something along those lines?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Did he give you a reason why you shouldn't go for the heavy duty?
nope, he just said to go to the site and put in my vehicle description in the $45 text field and they would make sure I got the right one. Sorry, I don't do business like that, no what I mean.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by doink
so what exactly does a heavy duty wiring harness do? im guessing allows more juice to flow to the lights thus making them brighter? or something along those lines?
Thicker wires, so, is gives the lights more pleasure.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you got the "super heavy duty" version for the 2001+ models... Is your 4Runner a 2001 or newer or did you just order the SHD kit for a 99 or 00?

The reason I'm asking is b/c I have a 99, and if I'm going to spend $45-65 on a wiring harness, then I want to make sure and get the largest wire possible for the $$$...

Andy
Old 06-30-2003, 08:01 AM
FROSTY

I have a 2000 but I liked the idea of a separate harness for each light. The 12 GA wire is great--It was an amazing difference just with the stock lights--with the 90/100's you can see the moths dropping out of the tree's for me its the best mod I've done yet. And I agree their customer service sucks--but you pay with paypal.....

FROSTY
Old 06-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

There was another thread, I think by Andrey, where there was a bit of bashing on SUVlights.com, the owner/rep got on yotatech and was defending himself. It was a pretty funny read....
Old 06-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
nope, he just said to go to the site and put in my vehicle description in the $45 text field and they would make sure I got the right one. Sorry, I don't do business like that, no what I mean.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... seems pretty pushy for a seller. "yeah, yeah... I know what you need better than you will"

But hey, I'm sure he had his reasons
(just putting in that last part so I'm not threatened to be sued for libel or something).
Old 06-30-2003, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I just ordered up a Super Heavy Duty set for a 96 4Runner, and left a note that my intent was to get the 12 gauge wiring. I'll let folks know what happens.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:50 PM

Do they have them for the 2nd gens? The head lights on my 95 are pathetic.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
There was another thread, I think by Andrey, where there was a bit of bashing on SUVlights.com, the owner/rep got on yotatech and was defending himself. It was a pretty funny read....
LOL, yeah... I ended up declining transaction on my credit card after the entire deal. And by the way, if anyone is interested in Sylvania OSRAM H4/9003 White bulbs for cheap, let me know

-- Andrey
Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 PM

Question

So do these heavy duty wiring harnesses work on H4 bulb connectors. I don't know what bulbs are in the 4Runners but my Hilux Surf uses H4's.

Could I rig up my own harness, what if I got 4 heavy duty relays and used the existing factory wiring to switch the relay and power the lights derictly from the battery using really thick cable???
Old 07-01-2003, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Cmar
Could I rig up my own harness, what if I got 4 heavy duty relays and used the existing factory wiring to switch the relay and power the lights derictly from the battery using really thick cable???
Given the basic schematic that he gives on the website, it wouldn't be hard to do it yourself. But, you have to factor in your time along with the parts cost.

I've been designing and building my own electronics circuits (simple to complex) since 1977 or so and I've gotten to the point that I don't mind paying someone else for their time for something like this.

There's nothing "magical" about what he's doing, though the lamp connectors may provide an interesting challenge to get ahold of. Newark, Allied, Mouser and others are huge suppliers that should stock the connectors. But again, it becomes an issue of your time to hunt them down, gather the rest of the parts, and assemble the cable.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:43 AM
FROSTY

You could do it on your own but the guy above has a point--for $65 do you really want to spend that much time building your own?--other than their customer service :pat: it is a great set up--You will love it when you see the difference--I used to run hella 3000's and the stock headlights are brighter--same power. I'm impressed

FROSTY
Old 07-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cmar
So do these heavy duty wiring harnesses work on H4 bulb connectors. I don't know what bulbs are in the 4Runners but my Hilux Surf uses H4's.

H4's in mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Bright!!!!