Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Snorkel Ban?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x-elite
I live in Texas, and unless I'm sorely mistaen, the elgistlation here doens't give a flip. I've gone off roaidng in ditches, under bridges, through the local rivers and streams, I've paid $3 for an all day pass to the mud pits out here as well. I'll stop reverse and drive off road into a standing pool of water if I see it and it looks challenging enough. Even if there is laws against it, to hell with it. Off-roading to me is an expression of freedom, and any contempt of that freedom is a personal attack on me. I will enevr stop off-raiduing like I do, depsite hte fact that there is almost no laws against it here, if there were, I wouldn't care. I crawl up the side of graveled rail road tracks in the broad daylight and no one seems to care. And to any of you safety idiots who tlak about the "appropiate place," grow a pair, off roading is a sport desinged for you to be more reckless than you ordinarily are. I've wrecked 3 vehicles off roading, I paid a comibined total of 3,200 for all three of them. Point of this is, I didn't care about wrekcing them. The entertianment is, by its very nature, reckless. If you don't like it, do soemthing else. If your happy with the trail runs that any idiot can go through babying and idling his new 4x4 explorer, I'm happy for you, but as for me, give me liberty or go Fork yourself.
What happened to treading lightly?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Amazing. Simply amazing. I spend multiple hours every month writing letters, making phone calls and otherwise trying to do my part to lobby to keep trails open. For the most part, people seem to "get it". They grasp the concept that our trail rights are under fire and even when I can't motivate them to become active, they agree that they need to do their part to not make things worse.

But the morons are coming out of the woodwork this week. In the space of five days, I have seen three different people regarding land use issues, with mentalities so backward it makes me wonder what the hell I am wasting my time for. Two of those half-wits have been on this very board.

What burns me is that just one of these mental midgets, can in minutes, undo any good that any of us might have done for keeping trails open over the course of many years.

C'mon guys. Please. We can allow people who threaten our sport from the inside to assist the eco-nuts or we can stand up and make it known what we stand for and that we care.

When you see someone express beliefs that you know are harmful to our sport on a board dedicated to that sport, please feel free to make your own views to the contrary known. Otherwise our trail access is going to collapse under the weight of a vocal, but very misinformed faction of our own who insist that it is their right to be an idiot, even if it costs the rest of us dearly.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Stop spending your multiple hours and do what you do. If all else fails, move to texas.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Some people just don't get it.....
Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 PM

not all of us in texas feel that way...

i just suspect you west-coasters get a lot more flack about it from the "save-the-whatever" ppl, than those of us from the south...

ignorance is bliss or maybe it's just
Old 10-16-2004, 04:20 AM

I can tell you from being a biker(helmet laws)that 4 wheelers are in the minority and if you want to stop it you'll have to fight like hell. And once it passes getting it repealed is one tough nut to crack
Old 10-16-2004, 07:20 AM

Stop spending your multiple hours and do what you do. If all else fails, move to texas.
What are you smokin'? Trails are being closed in Texas too!

As for "growing a pair"...you could do well with growing some grey-matter. If what you say is true...then your "expression of freedom" is no more than an expression of contempt for the environment and everyone around you. Do us all a favor and start thinking about more than yourself...
Old 10-16-2004, 11:39 AM

Like you need trails in texas? if you consider ditches and cess pools under bridges moe than mosquito breeding grounds and that driving in them kills bunnies, you have a serious problem. Most of the mudding I do anyway is in my own tank(thats what they call a man made swamp aorund these parts) on my own property that doens't mean I hesitate to hit some of the fun spots just sititng off the road after it rains hard. Everyone in my area is the same way. If it doesn't look like it can be climbed, we climb it. cement stairs, highsloped rail road tracks, my older cars(have succesfully climbed and drove over a toyota tercel,) and whatever else looks fun or interesting. Thats not an environmentalist problem, thats a panty wearing man's problem. The sad things is stupid over progressive people will condemn this attitude as wrong because its outside their realm of behaviour. Rugged individualism is not going through a clearly marked trail, it's the exact opposite, going where signs aren't posted, not conforming to the path you've been designated. If you want that, stay on the road. As for me, yesterday I boguth a 4x4 '79 chevy 1/2 ton pick up shortbed, I ghetto riged a snorkel out of some old crpa I have and I'm gonna go crazy in it till it breaks then I'm gonna take its springs and sell it to the junk yard. Recklessness is this sport, look at all the broken parts even on the "controlled" trips. If I wreck this chevy into a tree going20 miles per hour down a creek bed, I'm not gonna regret it, I'm gonan hop out and says "hell yes." Then comeback with 4runner to winch it out and a firend to drive it on the tow home(not until after a take pictures of the truck coevered in mud and wrecked into a tree of course.) It hasn't even happened and even if that worst case scenario happened, I wouldn't care. GO where you can't do what others won't, or don't call yourself on offroader. Call yourself a person who soemtimes takes recreational highways.
Originally Posted by jruz
What are you smokin'? Trails are being closed in Texas too!

As for "growing a pair"...you could do well with growing some grey-matter. If what you say is true...then your "expression of freedom" is no more than an expression of contempt for the environment and everyone around you. Do us all a favor and start thinking about more than yourself...
Old 10-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Old 10-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Water is owned by no person, just keep the rig parked in the a brook when they come to give you a ticket You may get a ticket when you move it or pay an impound fee though.

But if this law has been passed as to protect the environment, how can people justify the need to go out and buy "HUMMER" rigs that are sucking down plenty of hydrocarbons to the tune of 6 mpg. Or may even jet skis where it's easy to burn off over $100 in gas on a day.

Wait for when people go around during the election for mayor, invite them in, have a tea. If they tell you what you want, they aren't going to help you, if they tell you it's up to council, they are better helpers.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...that doens't mean I hesitate to hit some of the fun spots just sititng off the road after it rains hard. Everyone in my area is the same way.
Lot's of folks smoke crack too. With that rational you should give it a try.

If it doesn't look like it can be climbed, we climb it. cement stairs, highsloped rail road tracks, ...
Yea that kind of stuff is fun if you just got your license. Did you just turn 16 last week or the week before?

Thats not an environmentalist problem, thats a panty wearing man's problem. The sad things is stupid over progressive people will condemn this attitude as wrong because its outside their realm of behaviour. Rugged individualism is not going through a clearly marked trail, it's the exact opposite, going where signs aren't posted, not conforming to the path you've been designated.
Spoken like someone unable to grasp the concept of "Tread Lightly".

If you want that, stay on the road.
You are making every effort to have us all there whether we want to be or not.

As for me, yesterday I boguth a 4x4 '79 chevy 1/2 ton pick up shortbed, I ghetto riged a snorkel out of some old crpa I have and I'm gonna go crazy in it till it breaks then I'm gonna take its springs and sell it to the junk yard. Recklessness is this sport, look at all the broken parts even on the "controlled" trips. If I wreck this chevy into a tree going20 miles per hour down a creek bed, I'm not gonna regret it, I'm gonan hop out and says "hell yes."
Hell yes! Look all that antifreeze I dumped into fresh water! What do I care, I'm "The Man"!!

....It hasn't even happened and even if that worst case scenario happened, I wouldn't care. GO where you can't do what others won't, or don't call yourself on offroader. Call yourself a person who soemtimes takes recreational highways.
I'll guarantee you can't make it up every trail at ANY ORV area. Take your challenges where they belong. Until then, try not to ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:00 PM

Get out and vote.Thats how you get ride of idiots who make up these stupid laws!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X-elite, (and 7inl35swinchtacoma99), you know how they say it only takes a few bad apples to spoil it for everyone? Guess what, YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:47 AM

Expression of freedom and expression of ignorance.

Good job.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:20 AM

Most of the mudding I do anyway is in my own tank(thats what they call a man made swamp aorund these parts) on my own property...
Good.

Rugged individualism is not going through a clearly marked trail, it's the exact opposite, going where signs aren't posted, not conforming to the path you've been designated.
Ya know, that's a good metaphor for life...but weren't supposed to take it literally. :pat:

Seriously though, how many times did your parents...you know...drop you on your head?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Life is a matter of nature vs. nurture x...Sounds like you need copious amounts of each.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jruz
Seriously though, how many times did your parents...you know...drop you on your head?