Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shock, struts, sway bars and seats.... Can this thing be anymore uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock, struts, sway bars and seats.... Can this thing be anymore uncomfortable?

Hello YotaTech.... Newbie here...

So my wife and I just bought a 2001 4Runner SR5 2WD and didn't realize just how uncomfortable the seats would be and how bumpy/jerky and tipsy feeling the suspension would be. It's almost as if they wanted to build an SUV that "felt" like a car, with a higher stance? I'm not sure... Just need some serious advice.

What are some good aftermarket seats for this rig that will be comfortable for more than an hour on the road? New ones from Toyota are about $350ish so i'd like to stay under that...

What would you folks suggest for a firm, yet absorbing, non-rolling feeling suspension setup? The use would be mainly around town driving, some mild off-road (eg.. Up to the mtn for snowboarding, off the beaten path for camping) No serious off-roading though....

I've read alot about the Bilstein shock, '99 coils, anti-sway bar setups, but that seems to bring about alot of negative response as well as positive. Has anyone put together a setup like i'm looking for?

I realize we bought a somewhat "rough" style of SUV, but we just want to go most places and not feel like our butts are agonizingly sore, the rig doesn't feel like it's going to flip over at 60 mph around an average curve in the road or our heads aren't going to snap off from be bobbled around so harshly over pot holes, speed bumps or simply navigating a curb....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Assuming stock? How many miles on it? What tires and what air pressure? What were you used to driving before? Your sway bars and links are intact? Rest of the suspension is in good shape, getting long in the tooth or what?

Hear you on the seats- replaced my 96's seats with something else but my choice of seat and their attachment isn't typical.
I know the stock seats out of the 96 were torture but the stock sport seats in the 99 are all good. Then again, everybody's butt and back are different... there's options.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to YT.
What kind of plush ride are you trying to compare the 4runner to? Yours is a 13 year old vehicle so that must be taken into consideration. Out of curiosity, why did you just buy a vehicle that you were unhappy with the suspension and seats???

4runner was built to ride fairly rugged, as it was an offshoot of the pickup platform, (it's also a body on frame vs many cars) but shouldn't be jerky or overly harsh like a leaf-sprung vehicle. Yours is a 2wd, so essentially yes it is like a big tall car. The modern trend for most vehicles (trucks and SUVs especially) is to make them all drive like a car - most of us are not fans and there are significantly more soccer moms and target group who want this vs those who want rugged 4wd solid axle vehicles.

Firstly, determine whether or not your 4runner still has the stock suspension. It likely does, but who knows. Perhaps snap a few photos of the front/rear suspension, showing shocks and coils. Also, measure distance between center of axle to the bottom of the fender lip. For the tipping, make sure your F/R swaybars are attached and bushings are in good condition - could be the cause of excessive body roll. Most likely you just need to replace your shocks, which should help a lot. If you go to a different aftermarket suspension setup, you'll likely be unhappy with the results since they are going to make the rig taller and moderately stiffer.

As for the seats, most vehicle seats suck, but they're getting better in newer vehicles with more foam and ergonomics technology, etc. You could try and swap some seats from a newer 4runner for a cheaper alternative to the dealer who'll sell you the same seat you hate. I'd suggest you go to the junk yard and see what's available, then either sit in them or go to used car lot and "test drive" the seats so you know what to look for. Aftermarket seats are another option - companies like Recaro are reputable, but not cheap -- something like the Recaro Orthopede would be a good choice.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
Assuming stock? How many miles on it? What tires and what air pressure? What were you used to driving before? Your sway bars and links are intact? Rest of the suspension is in good shape.
Ok... So from what I can tell it's all stock. 140k. Tires are some cheap ones I'm assuming from Les Schwab. Figure there's only about 10-12k life left on them... Haven't checked air pressure. Will have to get underneath to look at suspension links and sway bars...
Old 09-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
What kind of plush ride are you trying to compare the 4runner to? Yours is a 13 year old vehicle so that must be taken into consideration. Out of curiosity, why did you just buy a vehicle that you were unhappy with the suspension and seats???
I'm comparing it to my old 1995 Ford Explorer 4x4 and a buddies 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer. We did consider the fact that it was 13 years old, but I guess my impression of 4runners was you can roll over a curb and shouldn't feel much compared the the abrupt feel you'd have doing the same thing in a car (clearance accounted for) To be honest we only test drove it in the city and on the hwy. no sharp turns, no off road. Rode great. Then this weekend we took it to the coast (2 hr drive) for a weekend trip and then started realize this guy isn't so comfy. I'll try and snap some pics and see if you guys can help me identify any issues. Does anyone have any experience with Old Man Emu suspension?

Last edited by Gtsaucke; 09-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 AM

OME suspensions are very reputable. they are one of the largest global brands of suspension kits. i have OME stuff on my truck, but have never ridden in an OME equipped 3rd gen 4runner. i have, however ridden/driven my old roomate's 2runner which was a 1999 (2wd 4runner like yours) - drove just fine and as just you'd expect a high COG vehicle to behave on the road. as for your comment about not feeling much when driving over a curb - only vehicle I can think of that you wouldn't feel that is one with either HUGE tires, or a hovercraft lol.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM

as for your comment about not feeling much when driving over a curb - only vehicle I can think of that you wouldn't feel that is one with either HUGE tires, or a hovercraft lol.
I know, I was more or less trying to say that I find it hard to believe these vehicle aren't subtle by any means in the way they handle bumps, potholes, etc..... I just feel like my head is whipping around on my shoulders. Are there any suspension brands that are consumer grade (not race grade) that provide you the compression and rebound of a dirt bike or quad? Not that I'll be looking to do anything like that. For that matter I would just ride my dirt bike. I guess what I'm getting at is suspension that compresses quick but rebounds slower. You'd feel a lot less and have less bouncing around inside that cabin.

Is what I'm asking unusually strange or is it just flat out Baja style adjustable race suspension that I'm looking for?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire pressure makes a huge difference. Check to see if you're running P (passenger) rated tires, or a light truck tire. A passenger tire at a pressure less than max sidewall rating will provide the best ride. Other than that look to your shocks. It's possible somebody replaced the shocks with some cheap stiff shock. Bilsteins ride awesome. I'm using Gas-a-just KYBs and they are a bit firm but comfortable. OEM shocks should ride comfortably if they are good working condition.

Just for experiment air your tires down to 22 psi and go for a ride and report back.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Back to the seat topic for a minute... Has anyone experienced the diff between SR5 Cloth seats vs. Limiteds leather ones? More comfy? Same? And are there any vehicles that you can interchange with. Highlander possibly?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Having had both a 97 Explorer and the 96 4Runner at the same time I can say the 4Runner is a 'truckier' drive. To me driving the Explorer was a numb experience, so I can see why you feel the way you do. I ran the same brand and style tire, Michelin LTX M/S on both. It took a little getting used to but it wasn't long that I preferred the way the 4Runner feels and handles over the Bronco II and later the Explorer by a lot. Especially than the Explorer.

Suspension....if you go taller you're going to feel tippier, at least at first. I'm very happy with my Sonoran Steel set-up.

Tires...brand, style load rating, pressure. All make a difference.

Hey, on the plus side- I've had way less rust issues, ball joint issues (though make sure you do take care of the 4Runner's ball joints!) and no worries about that stupid 3 timing chain and guides set up any more! Really Ford? Now it's one belt and a non-interference engine FTW!
Oh, and I'm fully expecting to pass 300,000 miles in a couple of years...and that's not all that uncommon- for a 4Runner.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Having had both a 97 Explorer and the 96 4Runner at the same time I can say the 4Runner is a 'truckier' drive. To me driving the Explorer was a numb experience, so I can see why you feel the way you do.
Yes it's definitely and adjustment. The Explorer did carry itself a less noticeably over non-paved terrain. We just had our first baby in April, so this was to be our go anywhere, throw stuff in the rig and go. I just am now re-thinking how it will be for the baby, being so jerky....

I ran the same brand and style tire, Michelin LTX M/S on both. It took a little getting used to but it wasn't long that I preferred the way the 4Runner feels and handles over the Bronco II and later the Explorer by a lot. Especially than the Explorer.
We are in desperate need of new tires, I was looking at Michelin LTX M/S2, Firestone Destination LE 2 or Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus.

We live in Portland, Or and would be in some constant rain during the winter, taking the rig up to the mtn for snowboarding occasionally and even some light off roading for camping. Of these three or even other suggestions, what would be a good match for that?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 AM

of those tires, the Michelins are probably the most reputable. i remember my old LTXs - great tire on the road and wore like iron on both my truck and on my 100-series. sounds like you might also want to get a set of chains, since i'm assuming you'll be seeing snow, and mostly because you have a 2wd.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 AM

of those tires, the Michelins are probably the most reputable. i remember my old LTXs - great tire on the road and wore like iron on both my truck and on my 100-series. sounds like you might also want to get a set of chains, since i'm assuming you'll be seeing snow, and mostly because you have a 2wd.
Thanks! We actually were leaning towards the Michelins. With chains and decent tires is it pretty safe to say (all things considered) we'll do all right in the snow headed up the mtn?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM

just as well as all the other non-Subarus i just remember seeing subarus EVERYWHERE in the PNW
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM

just as well as all the other non-Subarus i just remember seeing subarus EVERYWHERE in the PNW
Well there are alot of them, that's for sure! I guess I was thinking (again I know this isn't the best vehicle for this) my Honda Civic with chains did average, but i'm assuming it's because the snow was packed and not deep at all. I'm more thinking about when I get into the parking lot and all of the vehicles have made a mess of the snow and there's nothing nice about it, will the 4Runner being that it's only 2WD really do much better than my Honda Civic?

Last edited by Gtsaucke; 09-17-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM

i dunno. i grew up in san diego where there is no snow anywhere nearby and every time i did go to snow i had 4wd or no chains required because of very little snow. i didn't even see snow fall from the sky until i was in college.

i would think they would be equal, but perhaps the civic may have an edge due to FWD with engine weight over the drive axle - vs your RWD only having the vehicle and cargo weight over the drive axle. if your 4runner has the e-locker rear, it may help when you get stuck. i think i've seen 2wd 4runners with TRD e-lockers.

perhaps some of our PNW members can give insight as to driving in 2wd in the snow.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Run what ya got, but 2wd RWD is the worst of any choice for snow. A locked rear end would only make it worse- you wouldn't be able to keep it straight. Seems we have strayed from the subject a bit tho... :-)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Run what ya got, but 2wd RWD is the worst of any choice for snow. A locked rear end would only make it worse- you wouldn't be able to keep it straight. Seems we have strayed from the subject a bit tho... :-)
It does have VSC which may help? Anywhoo yes, we have strayed. Tires did come up with regard to how the 4runner rides which I guess has it's place in the thread.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What makes your butt hurt is a seat that's too soft.
To me, the leather seats are more comfortable in terms of support because of the stiffness of the leather vs. cloth.
However, they are more easily ruined by water and are sweaty if it's hot.
What I did when I got my 97, with stock, squashed-down foam but otherwise good condition seats:
Had the local upholstery place re-stuff the seat bottom with stiffer foam..I told him I wanted it to feel like a Recaro seat bottom.
Then I jacked up the rear of the seat by placing 1" spacers(large nuts, actually) under the seat mounts. You'll need longer seat mounting bolts if you do this.
If you're on a tight budget, you easliy re-stuff the foam yourself, but it's very time consuming and you'd need a supply of hog rings and hog ring pliers to get it done.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM

Does anyone have experience with Corbeau Sport Seat? Those look nice and comfy.

Quick Reply: Shock, struts, sway bars and seats.... Can this thing be anymore uncomfortable?