Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

seafoam treatment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swerks
Any one know if you can use the seafoam rx on a turbo motor or will it mess up the turbo??
How would it mess up the turbo?

Long as you don't put it in the oil which i don't recommend anyways you will be fine, i do it to my turbo cars all the time.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it might leave some kind of residue or deposits on the fins of the turbo ???
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by swerks
I thought it might leave some kind of residue or deposits on the fins of the turbo ???
Nah, the turbo gets so hot the next time you get into boost that anything would get burnt off in short order.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Running it in the gas gives you a fraction of the benefits of running it in the intake. That's where it really does the magic.

Also don't run it in the oil, not a fan of that.
why not the oil?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
why not the oil?
Too many chances it could hurt something in the oil IMO. In the gas and intake it is basically impossible for it to hurt anything. There is a chance in the oil. Plus when you do it in the intake you do get some in the oil anyways.

Thats why you need to change your oil after doing the treatment.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM

In my experience it works great. I had a fouling injector on my 3VZE, so I removed the plenum to replace the injector. I noticed that the lower intake had built up carbon deposits that would not come off without some severe wire brushing. Not having the time on this particular weekday, I fixed the injector, and reinstalled the plenum. I injected half a can of SeaFoam, waited 15 minutes, and cranked it back up to blow out a huge cloud of smoke. There was still something wrong with that injector, so I pulled the plenum again. Upon inspection, the entire lower intake was clean, carbon that would not come off without severe scraping was gone. I used a rag to wipe of the remaining residue, and was immediately a fan of SeaFoam!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Just wondering if a oil change is needed after the intake of seafome in the vacume line . Is it a must . JUst ran some through mine and was wondering THANKS.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jswizz
Just wondering if a oil change is needed after the intake of seafome in the vacume line . Is it a must . JUst ran some through mine and was wondering THANKS.
If you only ran 1 treatment though the intake you should be ok. If you did it a few times and the water then the oil change is a must.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks TexasAce . also just checked my oil and it was a little brown and runny so I just did the oil change , thanks for the input !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by mwc0404
so the treatment works well then? Any noticeable difference?
So, I wanted to share my Seafoam story..

I had the head gaskets done in my 04 Sport about 3 years ago.. Ever since then I would have low oil pressure at start up and the oil light would come on. I thought at first that it was gunked up from something dislodging during the head gasket job. THEN, worst case scenarios were playing through my head that maybe my oil pump was well on it's way out..

This past week, I was ready to cut the cord, count my losses and get rid of it..

But as a last ditch effort, I tried the Seafoam - 2 bottles into the vacuum hose at the intake, 6oz in the oil and the rest of that bottle in the gas tank..

No more low pressure at start up, not even a little bit... Idle is MUCH MUCH better!!!

I think this $h_t saved my truck, and my pocket!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ErikZ1220
So, I wanted to share my Seafoam story..

I had the head gaskets done in my 04 Sport about 3 years ago.. Ever since then I would have low oil pressure at start up and the oil light would come on. I thought at first that it was gunked up from something dislodging during the head gasket job. THEN, worst case scenarios were playing through my head that maybe my oil pump was well on it's way out..

This past week, I was ready to cut the cord, count my losses and get rid of it..

But as a last ditch effort, I tried the Seafoam - 2 bottles into the vacuum hose at the intake, 6oz in the oil and the rest of that bottle in the gas tank..

No more low pressure at start up, not even a little bit... Idle is MUCH MUCH better!!!

I think this $h_t saved my truck, and my pocket!
I personally have had good experiences with it as well with no ill side effects. Keep us posted as your improvements were quite significant.