Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Salvaged vs remanufactured Tundra Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salvaged vs remanufactured Tundra Calipers

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I haven't found any specific discussions on the purchase of salvaged calipers. There has been a lot of mention of rebuilding calipers, and this makes me want to just purchase remanufactured ones, even though they are twice the price.

Are calipers something with a limited lifespan and need to be replaced like suspension parts, thus buying a salvaged caliper is like buying a used shock absorber? or are calipers more... shall we say, durable and maintenance free, where they can be expected to last 200k+ without issues? I really know nothing about calipers or rebuilding them, but reman'd Tundra calipers (199mm, S13WE casting number) were 220ish per pair at my local Napa, after cores returned and taxes. The same calipers can be found for 130 shipped per pair from Sierra auto recycling... 100 bucks is a lot to me!

Share with me your experiences with salvaged calipers, for those who chose that route for doing the Tundra brake upgrade! Anything specific to look for in purchasing used calipers?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM

If you can get per se a 30/60/90 day warranty from Sierra on those used calipers, then I would go that route. The only issue with a used pair could be scaring/rusting of the piston or a torn boot. Rebuilding them is not hard, even for novices and the kit is not much $$$. I got a used Sequoia (Tundra) 231 mm pair from a yard in Deleware for $100 with a 90 day warranty. Only 9,000 miles on them.

What turned me off with remanufactured ones besides the higher cost was having to paint them. It seems that most members here who go with Raybestos, etc. usually see the calipers rust up on the outside within a year. Since I live near and drive through saltwater, this was the deal breaker for me. But does it affect performance? Probably not one bit. Go with OEM pads. Use Wagner, Brembo rotors.

IMHO this is the best mod that can be done..........
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Cool man, thanks for the advice! The Napa ones are painted a glossy black. Going with the Brembo blanks, ordered from discountbrakes.com (52 each + shipping) and OEM pads for the S13WE from 1sttoyotaparts.com. I need to do balljoints too.. so maybe I'll just try to go with the salvaged ones.

Last edited by BornChaos; 06-21-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There really isn't any significant issue with using "used" calipers from a wrecked Tundra. I checked with several of the Toyota Techs at my local as well as other dealers in the Seattle area and none of them ever had seen any issues with Tundra calipers needing to be "rebuilt". If you find the calipers you want (199 or 231) inspect them for wear, damage, torn or worn pistons/boots. That was the route I chose to go and I have not had one issue with the calipers since my install two years ago. You can save some considerable money going this route, but it all comes down to your own comfort level and ability to do the work yourself or with someone's help. If you are concerned about a used pair, then purchase what you can afford. Peace of mind is hard to determine value on. I felt very comfortable with the route I took and with the information I had about the the reliability of the calipers I felt pretty secure in my decision. It isn't iron clad by any means but the odds favored my choice.

Check my install write-up on the install I did using 199 calipers off a wrecked 2001 Tundra. ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...runner-146160/ )I even used the rotors and pads! Had the rotors turned and reconditioned the pad surface and they have been doing fine. I just recently had them checked and I will have to replace my rotors as they will be right at the minimum (maybe) and the other will be OOS after it is turned so I am looking at replacing them and will put new pads on this time. My cost for the OEM calipers, and rotors was $50 ... total! It cost me $27 to have the rotors turned the first time so my total investment on this mod was under $80.

Noted you live in LaJolla, I grew up in Carlsbad, come down every year in July to visit family. Maybe we can hook up and talk about our trucks

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 06-23-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: inserted link