Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

safety inspection...lower ball joints ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety inspection...lower ball joints ??

so i had to get the rig "safety inspected" to get it registered here in Canada...since im new to the area it was kinda shot in the dark to try to find an "honest" mechanic to do the inspection....anyways he says the lower ball joints are shot...i crawled under there to take a look...no grease..no tears...jacked up the front end and tried the push pull method and both wheels felt solid...no play...anything else to check to see why he says they are shot...or is he just a lying SOB ??? bad part of the deal is that unless i replace them within 10 days i gotta pay for another inspection...any advice is appreciated...thanks

kai
Old 05-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kaiberg
so i had to get the rig "safety inspected" to get it registered here in Canada...since im new to the area it was kinda shot in the dark to try to find an "honest" mechanic to do the inspection....anyways he says the lower ball joints are shot...i crawled under there to take a look...no grease..no tears...jacked up the front end and tried the push pull method and both wheels felt solid...no play...anything else to check to see why he says they are shot...or is he just a lying SOB ??? bad part of the deal is that unless i replace them within 10 days i gotta pay for another inspection...any advice is appreciated...thanks

kai
Probably just another SOB. Pay the man, get your Cert., and get wheeling!
Nice to see another "Ontario" ride.
Where you at?
I think you're about #5 from Ontario on this forum. Maybe we gotta get our own stickers!!! Or just go wheeling!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:19 AM

Jack the rig again and try the prying up and down approach. Mine felt solid tugging the wheel back and forth, but I had about 1/4" play vertically in the ball joint.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiberg

kai
You mean he didn't show you the play in them when he told you? Were you watching the inspection?