Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rub/Moan/Squeak from front end of 4Runner (Please Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I agree that there's some symptom intermixing going on... and then you got me up the middle with a grinding sound that gets a klunk every-so-often. It's hard to say just what's happening.

I'll have my tie rod end tomorrow, I got my rack bushings today... I'm crossing my fingers and toes, but I'm really thinking it's a bearing/bushing. I haven't had a chance to check my driveline like Kevin points out.

Please be sure to let folks know what your specific problem turns out to be, and I'll do the same.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good News!

So, I obtained the inner steering bushing/bearing combo. It took me and my wife 7 hours, but we now have a nearly silent 4runner on the road. The inner bushing was looking really bad. Thanks so much for your help, it took me a bit to realize that the first suggestion was the right one as I didn't understand what the symptoms of that could be.

I'll document it a bit better after I get some sleep,

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM

All done!

We've gone 200 miles on the new bushing, and it's quiet as can be. Thanks to all of you.

Hangups:

1) Cone washers were a pain... until we used two 8mm bolts to push the plate away, which released all of of the washers we had been unable thus far to release.

2) Bushing removal/installation was done by Gordon Johnson Machine Shop. It was New Year's Eve, and he saved our skins by staying a few more minutes to do it for us.

Feel free to ask me questions!

Last edited by bdeakin; 01-02-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you use bushings or bearings as a replacement?

When you say the old one's looked quite bad how exactly?
I'm trying to decide if I can wait till spring.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:28 PM

I used the parts recommended by "jimrockford." It replaces the bushing with a bearing and a bushing. It really isn't that bad of a project if you have a machine shop do the bushing work. The one I pulled out was in really bad shape. It was nearly worn through. And it was only making noise, not a change in handling of the vehicle. If you suspect that your bushing/s is/are shot, I would say make a day free and go for it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 AM

Holy cow. I've got nearly 200K on my truck and I'm hearing a similar noise. I was just getting ready to change the ball joints, tie rod ends and A-Arm bushings too. I suppose I'll add that to the list since I'm going to have it apart anyway. Luckily my neighbor has a press so I'm good there. Now if it would only stop raining here in sunny Los Angeles I could get some work done!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:58 AM

Holy cow. I've got nearly 200K on my truck and I'm hearing a similar noise. I was just getting ready to change the ball joints, tie rod ends and A-Arm bushings too. I suppose I'll add that to the list since I'm going to have it apart anyway. Luckily my neighbor has a press so I'm good there. Now if it would only stop raining here in sunny Los Angeles I could get some work done!
Well, depending on your situation, it may be best to replace all of that, or if you're just trying to get rid of the noise, you may want to start with the bushings. One the other hand, if you're going to do that other stuff anyway, it's a great time,as you'll have the region completely ripped apart.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also replaced my spindle bushings over the holidays because of a similar noise, no more noise now
Just wanted to let anyone know if you're planning on doing it the replacement bearings are NSK #DB503011 needle roller bearings. They are 37 mm o.d., 30 mm i.d. and 19 mm long. I found the 'stealership' price for the bearings very high so I'm passing on this info for anyone who wants to try getting them at a bearing supply place. Don't know if you can but may be worth a shot. The new inner bushings were cheap, and probably a dealer only item.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Please be sure to let folks know what your specific problem turns out to be, and I'll do the same.
I wanted to follow-up on this statement.

I just got my rear axles back in from being fitted with new bearings. Problem solved - the noise is gone. fwiw, the truck has 137k miles on it.

Once I got the axles out, it was CLEAR what the noise was. The right rear bearing was pretty well shot - there was a TON of play in it, and there were even metal filings in the axle housing.

I had a local machine shop press out the new and press in the old for $60/axle. I had found a couple of demonstrations of "ghetto" installs (i.e., whacking the axle on concrete to get the bearings in/out), but I just wasn't comfortable with doing that.

It's also clear that I'll be going through right rear brake shoes a LOT less frequently now.

Good luck to the rest of you!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Just so you all know. It was the experience of someone else here that you don't have to get the needle bearing from the dealership ($30), you can get it from NAPA for half that.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM

question the bearing part number listed in this link https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...imrockford.htm is this just the inner bearing and thrust bushing. the parts listed do not include the outer bushing/bearing. is this right? i see he reused the outer bushing.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM

i noticed the steering knuckle issue was 2 gen 4runner only? I have a 3rd gen and have this issue, any DIY's for 3rd gen steering knuckle??..need help!!!

Last edited by CT4R; 11-20-2011 at 06:48 PM.