Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Resolution for missing 22RE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
After doing some research, I decided to go with a gentleman on ebay instead of cruzin performance for the fuel injector cleaning service. His turn-around time is the same day (if he receives the injectors before 2 PM) vs. 3 to 4 days (and I've heard up to a week and a half) for cruzin performance. I emailed him about cleaning the cold start injector and he said that he not only can do it, but also recommends it. Keep in mind that most places will not perform any service on the cold start injector; they just tell you to replace it (even though a cold start injector is almost twice the price of a regular injector). I ended up with a 30% increase in flow and the proper spray pattern returned after it was cleaned. I recommend having this service performed on the CSI.

Three of the injectors had a fair spray pattern and the other one was poor. A poor spray pattern on 1 injector will cause a 20% decrease in fuel mileage. Two of the injectors had weak volume specs. All injectors returned to perfect spray patterns and volume flows after the service was performed.

So, did it cure the problem? YES!! The miss has completely disappeared at all rpm's. The idle smoothed out and the acceleration is now silky smooth. For a person who could careless about power, there was a substantial gain in that area as well. I'm sure I'll even have an increase fuel mileage, which is a nice touch with gas prices being $2.83 a gallon in my area.

If you decide to have this service done, make sure to get a new upper intake manifold gasket, EGR gasket, cold start injector gasket plus the 2 banjo washers, and new washers for the fuel damper (unless you have a skinny 12mm that can get behind the fuel line). Make sure that the fuel damper is not leaking and that the screw still resides in center of it as these are the common issues that occur with them. Now is the best time change the fuel filter since you can actually see what the hell you're doing (you 22re owners know what I'm talking about). Don’t worry about purchasing the o-rings and grommets for the fuel injectors, he will return the injectors with all new rubber parts. Make sure to use some type of lube (I used Vaseline) on both the injector o-rings and grommets as these parts easily tear which will cause all sorts of problems.

Here is the ebay link to the gentleman that performed the injector service. I highly recommend him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASNU-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks i have 4 spare turbo truck injectors that need cleaning before i swap my other turbo on
Old 08-15-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm on the right track!

After a new Vacuum Modulator and Oxygen sensor were installed, the problem was 99% cured! There is still a miss every now and then, but nothing like it was.