Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Was rescued Saturday Night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was rescued Saturday Night.

I went up for a day of mud 4wheeling in the Snowy Range in Wyoming. I became hopelessly stuck at about 11 Sat. morning. Many attemps to pull me out failed with 3 broken tow straps. The final attempt at approx 5 pm put my hook through my friends Tacoma's back window and into his head rest. We were very fortunate. Once we regained ourselves, we decided to leave my 4runner and to head to Laramie to get help.

I phoned our local 4wd club to help. They declined. A tow truck would not make it to where I was. I placed a link on CoTTORA's website asking for help. A half hour later, was called by them to plan a rescue at night. I am still in shock at how the Toyota Club from Colorado pulled this together and helped in the middle of the night.

Below are the pictures of my 4Runner early Sun. morning.

I can't say enough thanks to the three who came to help me and the others contacting them.

If interested, please see CoTTORA (See Muddy Creek link) and the guy who helped Action Jackson (See Muddy Creek link on right.)

Last edited by sgirt; 06-13-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome dude... If I lived in Wyoming, I would definitely have come to help you.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Wow thats pretty much stuck. I did that once, did the water flood the interior on yours too? If it did, I'll let you know now you pretty much have to pull apart everything and rent a steam cleaner to get to everything, also if its on the seats .. those cushions need to be dried out with who knows what. The stench doesn't leave, I ended up reappolstering the whole interior to get the smell out.

glad you got out though. dump the local wheelig group, bunch of aholes, and stick with your local ttora, they sound like a bunch of awesome guys
Old 06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you got out. It's a good thing your friend didn't get killed.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sgirt
The final attempt at approx 5 pm put my hook through my friends Tacoma's back window and into his head rest.

oh...my...dangerous... but i guess you didnt need me to say that... he was ok, i guess? was it the rear bench headrest? i guess yall didnt have a blanket or jeans or something to weigh down the strap in the event that it broke seeing as the other straps all snapped?? wow... that is some kind of stuck tho... glad it all worked out (except for the guy in need of a new rear window) that really sucks that it took that long to get some help, jeez...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

glad you got out ok....

and NEVER use a tow strap for recovery. Those hooks are lethal, of course I guess you dont need me to tell you that....like mentioned always lay something cross a strap, and never ever use something with a hook on the end....

Thats pretty sweet you got some random people to help you out tho...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

I hope you bought them a round of beers!

Nice people there. My hats off to them.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Three cheers for the COTTORA crew! That is dedication and a great friendship to help out at that time of night.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:56 PM

The interior isn't too bad. some water got in. The very fine mud filled in every small space that filled the door seals making it mostly water tight. The doors took on a lot of water and mud as well as the frame rails. Lots of cleaning to do.

I am so glad Paul is ok. Somehow the hook missed him. The day would have been completly different if it would have hit him.

I have to come up with something for the group. They really did an incredible thing. They even refused gas money. Very nice guys and 4wd club.

Thanks for posting on their forum too.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Wow sgrit. You made me realize I really need to put a list of "emergency offroad" numbers in my cell so I can use my CB to get ahold of someone and have them relay a phone call for me(my nextel doesn't work anywhere I wheel/offroad fish). I think yotatech should get a thread of geographically located members and swap numbers should something like this happen to anybody on the forum. Good to hear you made it out and mad PROPS to COTTORA.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM

That is a good idea. There was no cell service in the area I was in either. I have a 2 meter Ham Radio that can travel around 40 miles. But in the mtns, it doesn't travel that far and there are no repeaters in the area.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 PM

My CB has about the same range as your Ham so it works fairly well if there are base stations around the area. I know of very few mobile cb's who could talk back to me. Anyhow good luck in that colorado mud. Oh and I left a message on COTTORA giving them props.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM

I like the CB. Wished I had one Sat night. The CoTTORA group use CB's where I have the Ham radio. It would have been nice to talk with them there. The are a great communication device for all occasions, especially emergencies.

Thanks for the posts. Steve
Old 06-13-2005, 08:06 PM

Sgirt>>> is your truck a 4wd? I didnt notice anywhere... What a day time for
Old 06-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Hey! I was driving over the Snowy Range last weekend (June 5), right after they got that 8 inch snow storm that closed I-80 from Laramie to Cheyenne. All that snow must have made for some nasty mud this weekend, so I don't doubt you were stuck in a bad way.

Pretty cool of the Colorado guys to help out -

Some pics from my trip over on June 5th, to give everyone an idea of the country you were in and the amount of snow still on those mountains -

Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

Man, what a story! Especially the part about the tow hook!
I can't believe your local 4WD club declined to help. Hats off to CoTTORA!

I hate mud.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow. thats awesome to hear... good work and good karma to all.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:01 AM

Wow sgrit. You made me realize I really need to put a list of "emergency offroad" numbers in my cell so I can use my CB to get ahold of someone and have them relay a phone call for me(my nextel doesn't work anywhere I wheel/offroad fish). I think yotatech should get a thread of geographically located members and swap numbers should something like this happen to anybody on the forum. Good to hear you made it out and mad PROPS to COTTORA.
Definitely agree on the emergency number list! I am going to search a little as soon as this is posted and then assuming noone has started one yet I am going to start a thread asking for location and contact numbers for emergencies, I want to see everyone posting on there, we will all need help sometime.
I can't beleive that anyone who wheels would ever refuse the call to help a stuck wheeler!!!!! If you wheel, you will get stuck and you probably know what that is like. No matter what I am doing, I would drop everything to go help drag someone out, there is no worse feeling than sitting there watching your truck fill with water and having no way to get it out (I know from experience).
Old 06-14-2005, 06:15 AM

Not to hijack the thread but...here is the list I am starting of emergency numbers and geographical locations for people willing to help other wheelers in an emergency. I will consolidate this list by location later to make for easier use once we get some posts in there.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/emergency-contact-s-61156/
Old 06-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Glad it all work out Steve...

That's as good a stuck as I've seen in a while! It's definately magazine worthy

Quick Reply: Was rescued Saturday Night.