95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing engine/tranny/ecu - 2000 Taco

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing engine/tranny/ecu - 2000 Taco

Ok my first post, so bare with me

First some history of this truck.

I got a free Toyota Tacoma that was wrecked, needs new right bed side, a right door (its missing, no damage to cab anywhere), and a core support. Body work will be easy. But before I got this truck, the engine, tranny, and ecu was pulled, wiring harnesses and all. I'm not sure exactly what is missing. I don't know where an ecu is placed in the taco and if it goes straight to the fuse box, where ever that may be on the truck (under hood on fender well or under dash?). The gauge cluster was pulled as well.

The only info I was able to get was that the engine was a 2.7L 4cyl. with auto trans. Not sure which trans I would need? (L is 5th letter in VIN if that makes any difference) I also don't know what emissions it has, fed or calif. i was told to look at the sticker under the hood, hoping its still there. Any info on IF it IS NOT there and what options I will have when it comes around to having this truck inspected before licensed.

I am trying to make sure I know what exactly I might need to replace with a used engine, tranny, ecu, and gauge cluster. I am told if i don't have the right ECU, it can mess with my gauge cluster and what not too.

This is my main stop in the road right now cuz all this engine/electrical stuff really confuses me.

If I am missing anything or any info you may need, please let me know and I will get it back to you asap, I will be watching this thread like a hawk

thanks all!

Last edited by Sittin Pretti; 03-01-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might do a search and read all the 3.4L swap threads (tons on YT to read) because if there is nothing in the vehicle right now (no engine, tranny, ECU etc) than you can pretty much put in whatever you want (what you are doing won't be cheap so get the upgrade). You are going to have to have it reinspected anyway so might as well get what you want. I'd look for a similar year drivetrain (either 1999 or 2000) if at all possible.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-02-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You might do a search and read all the 3.4L swap threads (tons on YT to read) because if there is nothing in the vehicle right now (no engine, tranny, ECU etc) than you can pretty much put in whatever you want (what you are doing won't be cheap so get the upgrade). You are going to have to have it reinspected anyway so might as well get what you want. I'd look for a similar year drivetrain (either 1999 or 2000) if at all possible.
hey, thanks for the help. I first thought it was a 2.4L in my truck, then I found the recent emissions and told me it had a 2.7L, but then i went to where I got the truck today and was told it had a 2.4L in it cuz they were the ones who pulled it.

I am gonna plan to stick with the stock 2.4L motor when I find a used one I can put in it. I didn't even bother to notice this is more of a 4x4 forum and my plans are to go down, rather than up, hehe. I will need as much space under my hood so the 2.4L would be a perfect size. I'm not looking much into beefing up the motor at all.

Thanks for your help though! I will stick around still, even though I may be the 2wd minority