Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

rear view mirror and radio antennae

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear view mirror and radio antennae

I just bought an 01 4Runner on Monday after a rock ate the underside to my RX300.

Rear View Mirror-it is so loose that every time I hit a bump and does a major readjustment on me. Any easy fixes that allow the mirror to still be adjusted for different drivers?

Radio Antennae-the mechanic who looked it over before I purchased it said that it needs a new antennae mast. You can hear the motor running, but the antennae doesn't go anywhere. I am capable but with limited mechanical knowledge. Is Toyota brand the best one to purchase? Or is another brand just as good or better? Any tips on install?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Dont buy the antenna. Pull your radio and cut the wire that powers the motor and just leave that mast down in the fender. Itll work just as well (fyi--you have a second antenna in the rear passenger cargo glass). Even with the powered antenna mast down, as long as the rear antenna is hooked up, you will get fine reception. This is my setup since my pwr antenna broke and it works fine. I clearly pick up Nashville stations in a small town 100 miles away.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM

I replaced mine & wasnt to bad to do,It just involves removing the fender flare to get at it.FYI I used the toyota replacement just because I knew there would be no fitment problems took all of 4 hrs but i was in no hurry,was doing a oil change and tranny fluid/filter on it at the same time.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by little miss runner
I just bought an 01 4Runner on Monday after a rock ate the underside to my RX300.

Rear View Mirror-it is so loose that every time I hit a bump and does a major readjustment on me. Any easy fixes that allow the mirror to still be adjusted for different drivers?
Your best bet is to just replace the mirror, not sure if you mean the pivot is loose or the mount is loose, but I will go with the pivot is worn out. You should be able to find a stock rear view mirror at most any wrecking yard if they have an 4runners as not too many people need to replace it. Normally these only run around $5.

To replace the mirror, you will need to shift the sunvisors out of your way. If you have a sunroof most likely yours will look similar to this:

You will first need to remove the center clip that is around the base of the mirror post. Using a small flat blade screwdriver insert and pop the cover loose.

Remove the map light fixture using that same screwdriver.

With the map light cover removed you will see the screws that attach the mirror post to the roof.

Simply remove those two screws, replace the new mirror and install screws. Everything else is in revesrse order.

Hope this helps
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM

If the mast is pulled out,go on ebay and buy the mast ans nylon gear.Turn on the key,then cut it off.while inserting the nylon gear.It will pull the gear and mast into place.They normally come with insructions.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock head unit?

abbreviated quote "Radio Antennae-the mechanic who looked it over before I purchased it said that it needs a new antennae mast. You can hear the motor running, but the antennae doesn't go anywhere. I am capable but with limited mechanical knowledge. Is Toyota brand the best one to purchase? Or is another brand just as good or better? Any tips on install?[/QUOTE]

it is true you have another antennae in the back side glass. Looks like a defroster wire but more of it.

But it will likely only be plugged in to the radio if it is a stock OEM radio unit.

If you are aftermarket then follow the instructions of Rock Slides thread "Combining Front and Rear Antenna signals"

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...stereo-193751/

If you do decide you still want the front fender antenna to come up occasionally-then wire in a switch. Will save the life of the antenna -never understood why it needs to come up and down everytime you turn on the vehicle or shut it off.

Either way if you only need the mast itself then it's about a $30 part and 30 seconds labor for the dealership to do it. Of course they will charge you the hour minimum...

welcome aboard and congrats on your new to you Runner. It may not ride as nice as the RX300 did but we love em all the same.

Ritz-stunningly detailed photos once again. Amazing how helpful you are to have around dude.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 06-15-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: dreaded punctuation failures....