Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions about pulling hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about pulling hubs

It's almost time to replace my rotors and want to do it myself this time. The last time me and my dad tried we were quite unsuccessful at removing the hubs. I'm wondering what tools we need to use and what steps are to be taken. The manual isn't too helpful in that area.

I did a search and found something from Pirate4X4wire (I think), but am still a little confused with just what exactly unbolts, and how the rotors are seperated from the hub (or do they unbolt from the hub itself?). Any directions you guys can point me in? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Del
It's almost time to replace my rotors and want to do it myself this time. The last time me and my dad tried we were quite unsuccessful at removing the hubs. I'm wondering what tools we need to use and what steps are to be taken. The manual isn't too helpful in that area.

I did a search and found something from Pirate4X4wire (I think), but am still a little confused with just what exactly unbolts, and how the rotors are seperated from the hub (or do they unbolt from the hub itself?). Any directions you guys can point me in? Thanks.

I acutally did this this weekend....

http://4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/ this is a good start...

after you have the hubs off (well atlest the front part) then you need a 2 1/8 inch socket to remove a nut, then there is a metal washer with fins to help look the reting bolt down and then there is a second nut.
http://4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/06.jpg

after that is off, remove the caliper ( could have done this right after removing the wheel) and secure it to something so that it does not hang by the brake line... i used a zip-tie to the upper A-arm. pull the hub off slowly.. you can use the rotor as a nice handle... be careful though as a washer and the wheel bearing will come out at the same time.... be sure to remember how the bearing went on the the axle......

now that you have the hub off the truck look at the back of the rotor... it will look like this....
http://4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenanc...d/rotor/17.jpg

Remove the bolts from the back of the hub... there are 6 of them.... I had to use an impact wrench to get them off... and the rotor will come off...(you will have to use some force to get the rotor to seperate from the hub... Now just do everything in reverse... you will need some lube fro the wheel bearing... and you might as well relube everyhing while you are at it...

You need to replace the pads with newones with a new rotor... not 100% nessasary but it will give you more stoping power. and provide even ware on the rotor and even heating of the rotor... helping to prevent warping

it is really not that hard... and pretty straight foward once you have everything apart...

Also if you have manual hubs you might want to rebuild them at the same time... if you do I would get new gaskets too...

hope that helps.... if you need more info... just ask ...

Last edited by jtree007; 03-22-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hardest part is usually the dreaded cone washers. There are a few methods of removing them and I've had good luck with most of them. Usually, I use a hammer and a brass punch and tap on the side of the nub right next to the washer. If that doesn't loosen it up, I use a prick punch (like a center punch but the tip is longer and thinner) and tap it into the gap. That always removes them but damages the washer., Usually the damage isn't enough to require replacement but sometimes it is.

Other special tools you will need are a 54mm or 2-1/8" socket and a torque wrench.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One hint about the cone washers, when you tap on the side of the hub they sometimes fly off. It helps if you keep the nut on the end of the stud a couple of threads.
Easier than searching for the washers under some shelf in your garage