Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions About 4th Gen: V8, Towing, S/C, Third Row Seats...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions About 4th Gen: V8, Towing, S/C, Third Row Seats...

Hi,

I'm researching the 2004 4Runner. The wife wants a minivan for extra passengers. I want something that can tow and take me off-road.

The extra towing offered by the V8 is appealing. The extra 40-ft/lbs wouldn't seem to make a 2000-lbs difference in towing capacity. Then I noticed the V8 features a weight distributing hitch over a weight carrying hitch.

So I have a few questions for those of you who may have a 4th Gen:

1) Can someone with a V8 verify that the hitch connects to frame members forward AND aft? Or explain what makes their hitch physically different from the one on a V6?

2) The TRD Supercharger looks good! Can anyone with one tell me what kind of mileage penalty you suffered? Anyone driving a V8 may not track mileage. But I currently get great fuel mileage and will like watching it even if it's not so great. Any numbers out there? Is the power improvment dramatic enough to justify the price?

3) Can anyone with third row seating post some photos of the seats in the folded position? What about the comfort level in the third row? I'm sure it's fine for kids. But how long can an adult tolerate being back there?

4) Does anyone have links or photos for modified 4th Gen 4Runners? I've seen some GREAT 3rd Gens. But I'd like to see what I'm going to build. My first improvement, though distant, would be ARB locker(s). I'm not sure if I'd bother with lifts/large tires. I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for your time...

Scott
Old 10-27-2003, 06:02 PM

I can't imagine an adult actually making it into the 3rd row seat, let alone being comfortable back there.

If you need a 3rd row seat, get a bigger truck or a minivan.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

2004 specs I believe are that on the v8 you can tow 7000#. The v6 is still 5000#.

As for the supercharger, I'm thinking this might be an overkill as the v8 is pretty powerful as it is with the newly redesigned 5A/T. I've towed a few times and it's pretty good.

Did a real world comparison with a 03 v8 ford explorer and 03 v8 gm trailblazer xlt and both didn't live up to the power of the 4runner

SC gas mpg should drop 1-2mpg on average. Keep in mind that once you get the SC, you'll have the get premium gas.

Third row seating.. dunno don't have. try the stealer and check it out first hand in person (always the best as it's better than photos). Small childs might be okay back there but definitely be hard on the adults. 2nd row is good for everyone (including 3 adults).

Good luck on the 4th gen 4runners that are modded as there are only 2 confirmed lifted 4runners (one running Rev-Tek spacers and the other running Daystar spacers.) Both are on this site. Both threads are relatively new too.

If you're going to need a locker, you might as well lift/tire first. Locker is out of the question right now as nobody is making anything yet.

Lance
Old 10-28-2003, 02:34 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. JUST after I made my post, I saw the flashing "SEARCH" button. It's a good reminder for even experienced Forum Users. My supercharger questions were answered with a search.

My dealer doesn't have a 4R with third row seating. So I can look at one. I guess I can't take a peek at the hitch someday when he has a V6 and a V8 on the lot at the same time.

I'm anxious to learn more about the hitch and third row. I imagine there just aren't that many around yet (3rd row). So any updates will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

The hitch is 7000# from the mid 2003 production so there should be nothing different about the 04's. I believe the production from either march or may is when the 7000# became standard.

As for the 3rd row seating, that's going to be a hard one as if you can imagine already from looking at a 4th gen, the rear seats will be very small Maybe good for the little ones but definitely will suck if you're a teenager or an adult.