Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Purcasing a 96 4 runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purcasing a 96 4 runner

Everything about the Suv is mint except the km's are high 373000 km or 227000 mile.

The only issue i noticed in my test drive it that the engine seem alittle spuddery, in that it drives but it seems to be alittle clogged. Maybe needs fuel filter or O2 senor.

What should i look out for when reveiwing this SUV, and do you guys know what might be casuing this spuddering.

I want to purchase this SUV, but i dont want to fall into a money trap. Whats everyone think?

thanks for you help.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Welcome to yotatech!

I have a 96 4runner, 1 important thing to look for is that there was a recalled due to head gasket problem which got fixed after 98 I think, anyways I know the rear suspension had recalls and they make a buzz from the emissions canisters which was also fixed on later models and a part made available at the time to fix it which Toyota no longer sells. However they are the simplest to work on everything for the most part is mechanical for example the TPS is controlled by vacuum in 99 they went to an electronic resistor type system making the part more expensive. Lol I have had to fix a lot on my 96...my mom has a 99 ltd and the amount of problems she has is a joke for only 120,000 bought brand new...just my 2 cents. Gotta remember your dealing with a truck that was designed in the early 90s and after first design toyota made small upgrades and parts that should be done when these trucks first rolled out!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome!

You'll find a bunch of threads about what to look for if you do a little searching.

As far as what to look for on the 4Runner, some of the common problems are leaking rear axle seals, lower ball joint failure, and the "strawberry milkshake".

If you can't find out when the last timing belt service was done, it's always a good idea to do the timing belt, water pump, idlers, cam/crankshaft seals, and valve cover gaskets.

As to your spuddering at start, that could be quite a few things:

spark plugs
spark plug wires
coils
o2 sensors
MAF (cleaning it is so easy, and can make a big difference)
fuel pump
fuel filter

If I were buying a used 3rd generation 4Runner, I'd do all the timing belt/water pump stuf, spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. If I were buying one with that high mileage, I'd consider doing an external transmission cooler also, as cheap insurance against the "strawberry milkshake". And, if they're still original, I'd get the ball joints checked out and possibly replaced.

Also, here's a thread with more than you ever wanted to know about the 3rd generation 4Runners. If you still have any questions, this should answer them:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...r-s-guide.html

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 04-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mystic
Everything about the Suv is mint except the km's are high 373000 km or 227000 mile.

The only issue i noticed in my test drive it that the engine seem alittle spuddery, in that it drives but it seems to be alittle clogged. Maybe needs fuel filter or O2 senor.

What should i look out for when reveiwing this SUV, and do you guys know what might be casuing this spuddering.

I want to purchase this SUV, but i dont want to fall into a money trap. Whats everyone think?

thanks for you help.
Logically, the first thing you should do is a tune-up and fluid changes.
......new air filter, spark plugs. oil change, rear diff change. And, of course, a new radiator if you have the auto tranny in your 3rd gen Runner ...they have that issue with the pink milkshake. That's about it. Ken
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Ya its auto, and i thank you all for you replies. So quick.

That Milkeshake issue sounds nasty, but as i was reading there is a fix for it.

So is 373000km or 227000 miles a deal break for this kind of vechical or is there alot life left on this old beater. Again its loaded and has every option possible. I feel like royality when i drive this around, i really like the cheesy wood trim, adds class.

So in review check the rear axal and timing belt and water pump.... I want to find out if they have been changed already, can you find this out? The dealer said they dont know the work that has been done.

Anyway im in love with the vechical and i dont know if thats a good or bad thing.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

There's no easy way to tell how long ago they were changed from looking at the timing belt/water pump. Mine had almost 70,000 miles on it, and the belt and water pump looked fine when I replaced them. You could see a little more obvious wear on the idler though.

The "fix" for the strawberry milkshake is to install an external transmission cooler. Once you get the milkshake, if the coolant mixes and gets into your transmission, you may be looking at needing a new radiator and transmission. The "fix" of the external transmission cooler is cheap insurance, so do that for sure.

As to your last question, no, that mileage shouldn't be a deal breaker. Of course, it all depends upon the price and what you want. Obviously a 17-year old vehicle is going to be more prone to problems than a newer one. That said, these 4Runners will give you a lot of life if you take care of them. Here's a video of a guy that has over 500,000 miles on his:

Best of luck to ya!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Wow that's awesome I'm half way there!!! Haha not on the same motor but same tranny!