See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Pulsating vibration at high speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsating vibration at high speeds.

I've been getting this pulsating vibration at approx. 65-70 mph. Not a constant vibration, but one that goes on and off about every 1-2 seconds. Along with my other symptom of "catching" on acceleration (kinda like a stall converter or play in my driveshaft), I'm thinking u-joints. Or, it could just be the CV joints vibrating.

Does a sporradic/pulsating vibration at high speeds sound familiar to anyone? If not, I'll see if a couple new U-joints will solve the problem.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM

I had this problem this past year, it was the u-joints.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Pulled the driveshaft last night. U-joints look good and no play or indication of wear in cardan so I didn't touch anything.

*sigh*

Talking to a toyota mechanic yesterday, he mentioned that U-joint failure in these trucks is rare. He suggested a tire balance for the high speed vibration, but I'm lost as to a cause of the low speed "catch" when I give it gas.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Does the low speed "catch" occur all the time, or only when you accelerate after coming to a stop? If it's only after coming to a stop, it's probably the slip yoke on the drive shaft sticking.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM

I thought slip yoke at first, but it doesn't catch from a stop; only at low speeds like there's slack somewhere in the driveline.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Probably the rear end is wearing.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup I would take a look at your 3rd member, could be your pinion and/or carrier bearings are on their way out.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Good call on the 3rd. That's what I would've suggested too.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM

^^^Ugh, I was dreading someone was going to suggest that, sure enough it would be you Brian

I guess I'll venture into that realm next.

and thanks for the all the other info guys
Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM

My truck does both of the things you describe. I don't mean to make things worse for you but I pulled my third and took it to a guy who is supposedly the best in the midlands of SC. He said the gears and bearings looked fine, especially for having 150k miles. He did reset the backlash for free but when I put it back in the truck, I felt no difference.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Has anyone thought to have the drive shaft balanced. The Tacoma has the same pulsing droning sound once you pass the 150k mark. My buddy put a whole new drive shaft in his 2wd and it cured the vibration. Personally, I'd rather live with it and spend the $1600 on something else.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 AM

any updates from the OP?

I'm also dealing with a similiar vibration / pulsing issue. Already had the ujoints replaced and the drive shaft balanced, not much luck with either.

I'm leaning toward having the 3rd member checked out.

-batsoff
Old 01-30-2010, 06:26 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by okie81
I've been getting this pulsating vibration at approx. 65-70 miles per hour. Not a constant vibration, but one that goes on and off about every 1-2 seconds. Along with my other symptom of "catching" on acceleration (kinda like a stall converter or play in my driveshaft), I'm thinking u-joints. Or, it could just be the CV joints vibrating.

Does a sporradic/pulsating vibration at high speeds sound familiar to anyone? If not, I'll see if a couple new U-joints will solve the problem.
Mine did the same thing, and it turned out to be a broken belt on my rear passenger side tire! I don't know if you have checked that, but I spent months trying to figure that one out, luckily that was all it was, and I just replaced my BFG AT's. The broken belt was on the inner side of the tire, which was harder to see when the tire was mounted.

I'd try looking at all 4 corners before spending all kinds of money having your rearend looked at or replaced.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM

Update: I greased the slip yoke again today, and this time it seems to have made a difference. This time, I made sure the slip-joint moved a couple times and jumped on the back for a while to cycle the grease in there. Everything seems a lot tighter now; no play in the driveline I can notice.

So it seems the slip yoke may have been the culprit. There was no clunking in the rear so I didn't suspect it initially, hopefully I can close the case on this issue now.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm Have'n sort of the same issue on my Runner,

~It vibrates only above 55mph
~only under cruise'n power
~not under hard acceleration
~and when I let off the gas the Vibration stops

Give some gas, Vibrates, let off Smooth

If the Tires were out of Balance it would vibrate even if I let off the gas, so I don't think I have a tire issue, And the CV's would still Vibrates if they were the problem.

U-joints seem to be in good shape and tight.

This all started during a road trip to the Interior.

Any help would be awesome
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM

I had this exact same problem.. Then 60 feet from my driveway, my freshly mounted Wild Country RVT fell completely off of the right front of the truck, leaving a two inch deep gash in my road, and my tire in a ditch three quarters of a mile away. Check your lug nuts. Heh.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by isanysnleft
I had this exact same problem.. Then 60 feet from my driveway, my freshly mounted Wild Country RVT fell completely off of the right front of the truck, leaving a two inch deep gash in my road, and my tire in a ditch three quarters of a mile away. Check your lug nuts. Heh.
I Check my Lugs often, and Rotate my Tires regularly. But I'll give them a torque and go for a rip!!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 97Limited
I Check my Lugs often, and Rotate my Tires regularly. But I'll give them a torque and go for a rip!!

Just came back from a good rip, just as I thought! no change!!

Driveshaft out of balance?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM

I had my truck vibrating about the same speed and the mech said the u-joints were tight. It wasnt until I took the drive shaft to get rebalanced then I found out it was the culprit. It actually needed a rebuild so I just went and bought a new drive shaft to be on the safe side. GTG now.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ajw62428
I had my truck vibrating about the same speed and the mech said the u-joints were tight. It wasnt until I took the drive shaft to get rebalanced then I found out it was the culprit. It actually needed a rebuild so I just went and bought a new drive shaft to be on the safe side. GTG now.
Yeah, i'm going down to the shop, to have alook at my Driveshaft, look for 'tight' U-Joints or Wore out U's

While I'm there I'll give my wheel bearings a look at!

Quick Reply: Pulsating vibration at high speeds.