Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power Windows don't Work

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Power Windows don't Work

Been a bit perplexed by this one. Just finished up the mod to install the new auto dimming mirror in my Gen 3. Was out for a drive and the windows stopped working. Did some preliminary checks and seems that the Moon roof is also not functioning. First thing I checked was the fuse and found out the fuse for the windows also controls the power to the Moon roof and the rear hatch window. Well the rear hatch window still operates so that eliminated the fuse. I was able to download most all of the electrical manual for my 98 runner. I was able to note that all the modifications to wiring that I did for the mirror had nothing in common with the windows. All wire splicing was in connectors on the back of the J/B near your foot on the drivers side but none were the connector that controls power to the windows. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out the best places to check for power and for continuinty. I know the windows are still funtioning as the drivers window was stuck 1/2 way open when this happened. So in the process of starting to isolate the problem I disconnected the master window switch and was able to apply 12 vdc to the window motor and rolled the window back up.

Anyone have a similar issue? What did you find the problem to be? What did you do to trouble shoot the issue? Any suggestions or places to look/check? Thanks again and I will post the final install pictures later this week on the mirror install, it turned out awesome and it really wasn't too tough, except for the hook up! Thanks!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window lock button? I knowit sounds stupid, but my buddy tore the passenger side door panel off when his wondow stopped working to find the problem, ended up parking it at camp with a tarp over the window, and the next morning my other buddy noticed the window lock was locked. lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM

No that was the FIRST thing I checked LOL!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Did you power the Field unit from the sunroof switch or the clock?? I tried the sunroof circuit when wiring mine and crazy things happened to windows and sunroof. I eventually wired into the clock with no issues.
Could the mirror removal have disturbed some of the Field unit wiring?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 AM

That thought has occurred to me and I was thinking that maybe the install when I routed the wires may have caused something as well. I did route power for the FMU to the clock circuit as was outlined in Rock Slides install. I did move the wires around a bit during install of the mirror wire bundleand I may have caused some issue so I will pull the entire unit out again and check everything. I thought maybe I had shorted out the circuit but the Gauges fuse is intact. Interesting side note, I took the truck out on Wed nite to take my son home and noted the entire gauge cluster does not work except the gauge lighting, Speedo, tach fuel, temp even odometer, they all just sat there at zero. I will check that too but will also be back under the dash to see if maybe I some how I got something mismatched under there and reverify the connections on the Intergration Relay junction block. Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 AM

More on the troubleshooting so if you have any ideas ....

Took my son home the other nite and noted that the gauge cluster doesn't work either, no speedo, tach or gauges. illumination works, dims everthing just no movement by the instruments. Also the heater/AC controls do not operated. Check the wiring list and the two fuses associated are good (multimeter check shows they are still intact) which are the 40A in the engine bay which supplies the GAUGES 10A fuse on the Intergration relay fuse panel under the drivers dash. Also noted the reverse light is not operating. Pulled all the plug connectors on the Intergration relay and reseated them. Still nothing. Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Resolution?

I know this an old thread, but I was curious if the problem was ever fixed...
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerGuyDotCom
I know this an old thread, but I was curious if the problem was ever fixed...
send the OP a PM...