Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Polishes/Waxes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishes/Waxes...

Okay, I know this topic has been posted a lot, but I never really paid much attention to it before I had painted the Runner. Now that it's back from the shop and sittin' in the driveway, it's time for some polish and wax, and I'm well, for lack of a better term, quite clueless about detailing the truck. I'm just wondering what everyone recommends for polish/wax combos for their rigs? As well, any tips on applying the two of them would be greatly appreciated. Is a foam applicator usually what's used for this process on clear-coated paint?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

-Jay-
Old 07-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Corey's Detail site

Check Corey's Detail Site . I use just about every product on there to get the "Stop and Stare" look outlined on his site.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:18 AM

On a freshly painted car, I don't think you're supposed to use wax. You use Glaze and then after about a month you use wax when the paint is fully dry. That is what I've been told.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FirstToy
On a freshly painted car, I don't think you're supposed to use wax. You use Glaze and then after about a month you use wax when the paint is fully dry. That is what I've been told.
What he said...
Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by FirstToy

Once the paint has cured, or whatever it needs to do (usually 4-6 weeks), then you can wax. I'm a firm believe in Meguiar's products. The Griots stuff might be better, but I can't see paying that much for wax. Meguairs works great, and is very reasonably priced. Plus, you can get it almost anywhere.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:20 AM

Zaino! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=12870 Just did the Tacoma this weekend. This stuff isn't cheap, but it last longer than anything I've used yet and the shine is amazing! For dark colors it's the only way to go...and with my Lunar Mist, it's GREAT!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:10 PM

Check out http://www.autopia.org/. It is the best site on detailing. I use Klasse AIO polish/sealer and S100 wax. It is the best I've found. They don't stain plastic or rubber. Foam applicator seems the best way to go. Autozone sells blue ones with handles that work great. Use a microfiber to remove the wax. BTW S100 can be bought at any Harley dealer. It is some of the easiest waxes to put on/remove. You just wipe it on and buff off immediately before it dries. As far as waiting to put wax on after a repaint, its best to ask the shop that painted the car. It is not always true about having to wait. Most shops heat the car in an oven or use UV hardeners. Paint is usually cured when you pick it up. It is a chemical reaction. There was just a big discussion about this on Autopia. I think most said paint is cured when it leaves the shop. Here is the discussion http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=24992

Last edited by Highland Runner; 07-29-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

If you want a SHINEY car, and protected too. get eagle one wax-as-you-dry. It really makes it shine. A lot of detailers are starting to use it.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I use wet wax, but only betweem waxes. What I like to do is after I wash the truck, I soak it down again. Then I spray the wet wax on while the truck is still wet, and then dry it. Then I go over it with a dry towel to get the haze off. It gives the truck that just waxed look.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:51 PM

I might try that. Anything to finish the whole job quicker!

Originally posted by livelarg
If you want a SHINEY car, and protected too. get eagle one wax-as-you-dry. It really makes it shine. A lot of detailers are starting to use it.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:29 PM

FirstToy I might try that. Anything to finish the whole job quicker!

yeah Have someone else do the work for you
Old 07-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Mr Griot says spray Speed Shine on after washing and before you start to dry between waxes. The look is amazing.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:20 PM

I like the Zanio, I ordered the "kit." If your ride is new you can do without the claybar an the #5 (I saw no improvement with the #5.) The #2 rocks and so does the spray, plus the accelerator.

My 4Runner is actually eaiser to clean after it rains and the water just runs off... I did a coat of #5, then two coats of #2, with the #6 spray in between. My truck feels like glass and it is very easy on and off.

Last edited by JGage; 07-29-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Woodbert
Mr Griot says spray Speed Shine on after washing and before you start to dry between waxes. The look is amazing.
Between waxes? That speedshine would be the waxing for me!

Man, that's why I got silver to avoid all this work!:pat:
Old 07-30-2003, 04:31 AM

I use Wax As You Dry also, but couldn't get it to work while drying without streaking. Now I let the car dry completely then use it as a quick wax. Spray it on then wipe right off with a microfiber. I can do the whole car in less than 10 minutes.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

It is true that the paint for the most part is baked on when you pick it up, but it is a good idea to let it fully cure for another month or two before hard waxing and polishing.

As far as which waxes and polishes are for you, there are many out there that are really good. I prefer Griot's, but Meguire's, Zaino, Klasse, Mother's and Zymol are all really good products.

What colr is your truck?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 PM

That wax-as-you-dry stuff sounds pretty good, but being the first coat after it being re-painted, I should probably lay a solid wax coat down with Griot's, Mothers etc. I should clear up too, the truck has had time to cure...it's been about 6-7 weeks since I got it back from the shop. Sorry about the confusion.

BTW, the truck is red, if I can get some pics up some time I definitely will, but I can never get pictures to load on this site.

Thanks again for all the replies.

-Jay-