Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pinstripe removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinstripe removal

So I'm thinking about trying to remove the HIDEOUS pinstripe on my 94 4runner. I've done some searching on here and figured out how to remove it, but I'm wondering what the difference will be in the paint. Its maroon in color and since its a fairly dark color, I'm afraid there might be quite a difference. Anybody here done this and have pics? I'm really looking for something that's had a stripe for about 10 yrs or so.
Thanks alot,
-Shawn
Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

there will be soooooo much difference that its not worth it...

someone did it a while back and the difference between regular and removed was night and day...

in my HONEST opinion, dont do it...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply 96.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I was running some wires the other day and was comparing the paint under the door sill to the exterior paint and I couldn't tell a significant difference. I know thats its kinda hard to tell, with it being inside the car, but it didn't seem like much at all. Also, wasn't the vehicle that you talked about black? It seems like, in my experiences anyway, that black and dark blues seem to fade the worse, and did he give it a good waxing afterwards?

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:54 AM

Take them off....with either a heat gun and or some Laquer thinner and a Plastic razor blade. I'm the detail manager for a 4 location Car Wash Chain and I have over 12 years experience as a detailer. Take off the stripe, and color sand the whole panel with 2000 wet paper, to blend to the shade of the rest of the truck, follow with 3M Perfect -IT II or Perfect-IT III and electric buff at 1400 rpms, then follow with your favorite wax and you won't be able to tell it was ever there.

So I may be a detail manager , and I was able to upload my avitar to this site , but how do I up load a pic of MY De Striped Yota to this posting ?

any way it probably sounds too hard to do , but it's really easy
Old 03-26-2005, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Diggertoy
...but how do I up load a pic of MY De Striped Yota to this posting ?
Pic has to be saved on a website somewhere...copy the link...paste the link in between "[img]" and "[/img]" minus the " marks.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:35 AM

I removed the pinstriping on my Black 1996 4runner a few months ago with the same technique as Diggertoy and the paint was not discolored whatsoever. I removed mine because it was starting to peel off in some areas so I didn't really think too much about discoloration.

You always have the choice of carefully pulling back a small area to see if discoloration has accured over time.

tomrunner
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 AM

Oh Digger that advice ROCKS! I saw one the other day w/out stripes and it really looked GOOD. Mine are about at the point where they need to go as well. How long did the process take you?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:42 AM

Before and after pictures can be found HERE

They are the top two pictures...

The process took me about 3 1/2 hours once I perfected the technique.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:46 AM

Thanks Tom. And yup...it does look GREAT!!!!! hehehe
Old 03-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys!!
Anybody else?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:21 PM

Stripes came off my gray runner and cannot really tell the dif. only in a wierd light angle. Mine were really cracked and broken in areas, so I opted to use the 3M stripe removal tool. Like a rubber eraser for your drill. Worked like a charm. Takes off the stripe and the leftover hardened glue with no defects. Just don't use a cordless unless you have multiple charged batteries, as they will drain quick.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:45 PM

I removed the right side stripe on my 94 blue pu. It looks great.I just let it sit out in the hot summer sun and peeled of the sticker by hand, then I used a can of goof off from home depot. It was alot of work thats why I havent removed the left side strips yet. I will this summer though.
The only difference I could notice is that under the stripe was not scratched while the rest of the tuck had ten years of washing, polishing and tree branch pinstripes
Old 03-28-2005, 08:16 AM

Denk-Where and how much for the 3m stripe remover?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM

I just did a general search for it and looked for the best price. Here's one at www.handsontools.com for $23. Might be able to find it cheaper tho.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

I took the stripe off my 94 and it was a huge PIA. The part on the front fenders came off easily with a heat gun but the parts on the back half didnt' go so easy. I used several different adhesive removers and lots of elbow grease scraping with an old credit card to get it off. I bet it took me around 5 hours total. I have no discoloration but then again my truck is white too. A white truck with my blue pinstriping and black bushwhackers looked pretty good that's why it had to go.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:05 PM

So I just picked up one of those erasers and tried it out on a section that looked like @$$ anyway. WOW, this thing is awesome!! If anybody plans on removing pinstripes I would deffinitely recommend getting one. Didn't seem to be any trick to it, and it took it right off. I can't really see any discoloration, but then again, this was in a very small area. The biggest difference is the lack of scratches like evilcow said. Tomorrow I think I'll do it all then wax it good and post some before/after pics.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 PM

Well, I just finished removing my stripes on the passenger side of my 4runner. It wouldn't have taken so long, but all I had was a black and decker cordless that wasn't exactly up to the challenge. I ende up using an AES industries pin-stripe eraser to remove the stripes, then wiped it down with wd-40, then washed it off real quick.

It looks alot better than I thought it would. There isn't much discoloration now, and I haven't even washed the whole thing yet. From what I can tell, after a good wash and wax, I dont think you'll be able to tell a thing.

Its cold and raining right now, but when it gets a little nicer out, I'll snap some pics. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by s_wall98
So I just picked up one of those erasers and tried it out on a section that looked like @$$ anyway. WOW, this thing is awesome!! If anybody plans on removing pinstripes I would deffinitely recommend getting one. Didn't seem to be any trick to it, and it took it right off. I can't really see any discoloration, but then again, this was in a very small area. The biggest difference is the lack of scratches like evilcow said. Tomorrow I think I'll do it all then wax it good and post some before/after pics.
Where did you pick up the eraser? What was the name of it exactly and what did the packaging look like? I need to pick several of these up for future use as I have a lot of stickers to remove, but I'm not worried about the paint underneath as I'm going to repaint a different color anyway.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:02 PM

I believe mine was the "pin-stripe eraser" by AES industries, cost about $15. I ended up going to a paint and laquer supply place to find mine. I asked about the 3m version and told them what I planned on doing with it and they gave me the AES one, saying they didnt carry the 3m but that they sold quite a few of the AES. Its gonna take me 2 to do the whole truck, 1 per side. I searched the net for another AES pad but couldn't find one. Did find this though:
http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...OD&ProdID=3733

http://www.bradytools.com/bradystools/padpire35the.html

I thought I found one even cheaper but don't see it. I'll look through my history tonight. Don't forget you need the drill attachment too.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:26 PM

I apologize for bumping such a old thread but I have a issue.
I took off the factory decal off of my 1990 4runner today with the 3m pinstripe remover. On the front fenders and one of the doors I have found that it has been painted around the decal. So now I have a paint line in those sections...

I would appreciate any advice on how to blend the paint so there is no line.
Will I be able to sand it by hand? What kind of sandpaper? I have never done this before so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Pinstripe removal