Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance Products 1" Lift springs---instructions? When?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance Products 1" Lift springs---instructions? When?

Guys,

Time's a nearin' to install the PP 1" lift springs. I bought them last summer but never got around to installing them. I wanted to install them when I got new tires which is in about 1-2 months.

What do you guys think? Should I install them at the same time I'm getting new tires?

Also, does anyone have the install sheets for the springs? I did a search, someone asked for it, but no one seemed to have them.

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,
I think maybe you should install the springs now. You will need an alignment and will be rounding the outside edges of your front tires until you do so. I drove mine as little as possible for about a week without getting an alignment to be sure the springs had a chance to settle. I wouldn't want to chew up a brand new set of tires. That's just my $.02

FYI: I've had my PP 1" lift springs on since October and I just took a comparative measurement last night with my buddie's stock 98 Limited. I've got 2 1/4" over his in the rear and 1 5/8" in the front. I may have to change my sig and edit the 1" lift.

And sorry Bob, no install sheets.

-TIM
Old 03-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Mike N (AZRain) had those springs and they lifted him pretty close to my truck. Also the drivers side was lower than the passenger side ???

I know Toyota & OME designate R & L springs for this reason. My Sway-A-Ways are set to different hights was well.

Hey Bob-

Not really what you want to hear, but the Sway-A-Ways are the Highway Queens! If you want a bit of lift and a great ride. Install the rear PP's and Set the SAW's to the same height as well as adjusting for the R to L off set.

Just telling you what I saw on a truck parked in my driveway.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:30 AM

Mike N (AZRain) had those springs and they lifted him pretty close to my truck. Also the drivers side was lower than the passenger side ???
Yeah, I believe I read that once or twice. Could be that PP does not write R/L on their shocks? I would imagine that they would've thought of that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sway-a-ways---the highway queens. Too funny. Not on my list of mods. I have to get some new shoes first. That will be a mint.

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 10:16 AM

The skinny on the PP springs is that there is no right or left front spring. I swapped them side to side (completely removing the spring from the shock assembly each time) and made no difference. There was about a 3/8 - 1/2" difference on my driver's side. I had a total lift of about 1 and 3/4" average.

Now, I've heard that some do this and some don't. When I sold mine, I was straight up about it and offered to make a spacer for the guy who bought them if he needed it.

There are no install instructions provided with the PP springs, pretty much take off the old springs and put the new ones on is a VERY simplistic explanation. If you're not comfortable with using a spring compressor, get some experienced help.

I wasn't happy with the off road feel of the PP's (personal choice) and swapped them out for the SAW's. Mine have Tundra valving, slightly different than Steve's, yet cushy comfy on and off the road, yet VERY responsive and sure handling.

Mike
Old 03-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by azrain

Now, I've heard that some do this and some don't. When I sold mine, I was straight up about it and offered to make a spacer for the guy who bought them if he needed it.

Mike
My rig with the PP springs sits level (side to side). No problems here.

I took mine off-road last week and was pleased with how it handled.

Sorry no instructions Bob, just remember to keep the tight wrapped coils facing UP.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:50 AM

Mike, Steve and Travis,

Thanks for the advice, guys. Hopefully I won't have any balance problems.

I'll have to tackle this one with my friend, Dave.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 03:56 PM

hi bob , i was the one who sold you those pp 1" spring last summer on 4x4 wire for sales section, how are you ? you waited this long to install springs, you must be a busy man. good luck with you installation. Eddie:pig:
Old 03-31-2003, 04:26 PM

Eddy,

Hey man, good to see you here! Yeah, unfortunately I did. It was more for financial reasons and timing reasons than anything else. I wanted the tires to wear out so I could do everything in one shot. In addition when I bougt this beast, I had more immediate things to fix/mod first.

Hope things are well with you. Stick around---a very good, mellow crowd here.

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 07:30 PM

Hey Bob,

I don't know if you remember me, I'm the guy that you gave the clear corners lights to. Anyway, I'm also the guy who bought the PP springs from Mike (azrain), I just installed the springs last week, it's pretty nice. Mike did offer to make me the spacers, luckly I did need it, because mine sits even. I also used the OME 10mm (part # OME80PF10) for the rear, so right now I'm getting 1-3/4" lift for the front and exactly 2" for the rear. It gave the 4Runner a whole different looks, much more aggressive, and it also handle pretty well around corners (I also have front and rear Addcos). Sorry I don't have any instructions for the install, because when I bought it from Mike, it came assembled. Good luck with the install
Old 03-31-2003, 07:32 PM

oopps

Sorry, I meant to say I DID NOT need the front spacers...
Old 03-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by QuickSilver
Hey Bob,

I don't know if you remember me, I'm the guy that you gave the clear corners lights to. Anyway, I'm also the guy who bought the PP springs from Mike (azrain), I just installed the springs last week, it's pretty nice. Mike did offer to make me the spacers, luckly I did need it, because mine sits even. I also used the OME 10mm (part # OME80PF10) for the rear, so right now I'm getting 1-3/4" lift for the front and exactly 2" for the rear. It gave the 4Runner a whole different looks, much more aggressive, and it also handle pretty well around corners (I also have front and rear Addcos). Sorry I don't have any instructions for the install, because when I bought it from Mike, it came assembled. Good luck with the install
Hey Tony! Glad to hear it worked out for 'ya! Pics soon?

Mike
Old 03-31-2003, 08:07 PM

Mike,

Yeah, once I figure out how to post pics If you want, I can just email you the pics, just give me your email address.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 PM

Tony,

If I'm unbalanced, I'll be calling on you for those spacers. Also, did you install the springs yourself? Easy? Difficult? Offer up some tips, my friend.

Hey, did you get around to installing those clear corners?

Bob
Old 04-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Mike,

Yeah, once I figure out how to post pics If you want, I can just email you the pics, just give me your email address.
Tony,
I am glad to hear that your PP spring swap went well. Now there is two PP lifted 4Runners in SLC!!

I can host the pics for you, just email me the pics
tmorishi@xmission.com
Old 04-01-2003, 10:45 AM

Bob,

I did not install the springs by myself, I had a local David Early Tires do it for me. But I did sorta help the guy when he was installing it, more or less supervising, just making sure that he did a good job. But from the way it looks, the fronts are more work then the rear. As for the front spacers, if you need them, give Mike (azrain) a call or email and he can make them for you. And yes I did finally install those clear corners lights. Thanks again.

Travis,

I'll send you some pics this weekend, we ought to have another SLC 4Runners get together soon. It's kinda funny that when I'm driving around SLC, I'll lookout for others 4Runner to see if I can recognize them, or to see if they are member on this forum...
Old 04-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Travis,

I'll send you some pics this weekend, we ought to have another SLC 4Runners get together soon. It's kinda funny that when I'm driving around SLC, I'll lookout for others 4Runner to see if I can recognize them, or to see if they are member on this forum...
Yeah I do the same thing!
Are you a member or the utah TTORA??

You should sign up, I went wheeling with them two weeks ago at little moab.

UT TTORA
I am the Desert Dune 4Runner, there is also one other 4Runner owner that is in that club.

I agree, we need to get another meet together!!