Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Peel & Seal user feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peel & Seal user feedback

First off... Hello to all! I'm new posting here although I have been lurking/reading/researching through many forums about sound deadening using all kinds of stuff. So far, I've read about...

Dynamat
Brown Bread
Raammat
Second skin
Peel & Seal
and others... can't remember all the names.

My question really is about Peel & Seal. I know where I can purchase it in So Cal. And, I know several people have installed it into their car.

My query is basically this... Now that it's winter and summer is over, I would like to know from users how Peel & Seal has stood up over the summer heat.

I guess my major concern is about the smell. Being installed inside a car, I would hate to have to smell tar no matter how small the trace. If I go with Peel & Seal, I will most likely do the entire car so I'm really concerned and need some experienced feedback. Will there "forever" be some latent smell no matter how long the product has been installed.

Thanks in advance for any experience offered.

musashi
Old 12-23-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Musashi,

The greatest swordsman ever.

I trust that you've read through my write up. In it, I used both McMaster's HTM as well as Peel N Seal. HTM has a slight tar smell whereas PNS does not.

When I first bought the HTM, I read several reviews where people said it reeked for a week or longer. Not so. It doesn't smell *that* bad. It does have a slight tar smell but even my picky wife didn't notice.

So far, the HTM that I installed on the roof has not come off, even in the So Cal heat from last summer. However, a big sheet of it fell off after about a few days because I put waaaay to big of a sheet on. Thus if you read in my write up, i recommend that you cut and apply small pieces. The stuff is HEAVY which is why its best for the floor board.

If you really want to make it easy on you, just use PNS. Its a much friendlier material to work with, confirms easily contours, easy to cut, etc, etc.

Bob
Old 12-25-2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks Bob! Yes I have read your write-up and even downloaded all the pages for reference. You did a GREAT job and I'm sure all 4runner owners appreciate your hard work... I know I do!

I did a tremendous amount of research about sound deadening so far. That also included HTM from Mcmaster carr. I think I will go with PNS although it is a bit light in weight. I wonder how much of a difference there really is between PNS and Brown Bread in terms of sheet weight. I know Dynamat is really heavy compared to all the other stuff... which would tend to probably do the best job. Too expensive though!

Anyways, thanks for your reply. I am hoping more PNS users will leave feedback about their experiences during hot weather times.

musashi
Old 12-25-2003, 09:50 AM

Musashi,

Great that you did your homework. I'm sure you can find the difference in thickness of the weight of all products from the company's website. If there is any difference, I'm sure it'll be a difference of a millimeter or less.

With regards to the thickness issue, the most sound deadening benefit you'll gain is by putting carpet padding on the floorboard and the roof. In the rear passenger area in my 4runner, it is pretty darn quiet---or at least what my passengers tell me. Up front though, the wind noise from the air hitting the mirrors is what negates the sound deadening for me. But thats just me...other people riding shotgun say its pretty quiet.

It sounds like you're worried about the adhesive/tackiness properties of PNS. As I said earlier, mine has held up very well and rest assured, this survived last summer's (LA) intense heat.

If you are anywhere near Glendale, CA, I can get you carpet padding for free. I know the owner of a carpet store (in our back alley) and he throws this stuff away on a weekly basis. Some of it is brand new, but most of it is used. I only used the used carpet padding that didnt have any "funk" on it.

I may purchase some sound deadening material from another company (forget the name already) to deaden the engine bay firewall. Its the last area that needs to be deadened. I'm also trying to get the hood liner from a 99 4runner too.

Bob
Old 12-25-2003, 02:05 PM

Thanks again Bob... and thanks for the carpet pad offer. I'm way down here in Orange County, so Glendale is a fair ways away. I also have a friend in the carpet business, so I can always go to him for scraps. I will take your advice about padding the floor (and the roof, if I go that far).

I guess my major concern is the smell even after a long period of time following the installation. As hot as it gets here sometimes, I don't want the smell to creep back up. Tar is tar... and as far as I know, even time doesn't diminish it's make up... especially after it's been heated/reheated. BUT, if you say that PNS should be ok, I'll take your word for it.

Probably after all this rain has passed I'll start doing my sound deadening. I still have to buy a few more rolls of PNS and pick up some scrap carpet pads. One thing for sure... I'll be following along with your most excellent writeup as I tackle this job!

mushashi
Old 01-25-2004, 08:05 PM

I'm in the middle of my deadening project right now, read all the posts and write-ups (thanks bob).

Just wondering, where to get peel and seal? I went to Lowe's today in so-cal, but the people there didn't even know what I was talkign about, and I searched the whole roofing section... does anybody happen to know the lowes part #, or exactly where to find it? thought I saw this before, but couldn't find the post.
thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 PM

Never mind... just found the upc code for peel & seal, thanks keisur:

"here ya go. pics and a upc code for the peel and seal.

UPC: 95959 06251"
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'll try and get pictures when I install dynamat extreme and some more carpet padding this week. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics of my new leather wrapped sub box too(almost 7 cu. ft. vented)
Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 PM

ruiz,

i looked for PNS at so many dang places, including Lowes and HD.

Do yourself a favor and order the PNS from McMaster. They have it guaranteed. The part # is in my write up (i htink).

Bob
Old 01-26-2004, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember if I got it at HD or Lowes, but wherever you go, look in the roofing area. That's what this stuff is for...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by musashi
My question really is about Peel & Seal. I know where I can purchase it in So Cal. And, I know several people have installed it into their car.

My query is basically this... Now that it's winter and summer is over, I would like to know from users how Peel & Seal has stood up over the summer heat.

I guess my major concern is about the smell.
musashi
peel & seal has no smell, you don't have to worry about that. you can smell the petroleum smell if you stick your nose to it while installing it but I never once smelled it once installed, even on really hot days.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I can't remember if I got it at HD or Lowes, but wherever you go, look in the roofing area. That's what this stuff is for...
It was Lowes. I was just there Sunday picking up one of those mushroom vent things for the roof and saw the rolls sitting there.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:59 PM

...finding PNS...heh heh...brings up bad memories.

i looked in seveal home depots and lowes in my area but could not find it. therefore i bought it from the best store on earth, mcmaster.com. here's the easy way to order this stuff:

Sound Deadening Material for Doors-
"Self-Stick Roll Roofing" (Part #9640T2 @ $18.56/roll)

Bob
Old 03-16-2004, 08:47 PM

I bought from mcmaster as well, thanks bob! Bought two rolls, $5 shipping, and received it the next day!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

if you can find it at lowes it is only $12/roll.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:09 PM

keisur,

yeah, if you can find it!

also, i think the mcmaster roll is much longer too.

bob
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
keisur,

yeah, if you can find it!

also, i think the mcmaster roll is much longer too.

bob
That's right. thanks for jarring my memory.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Another vote for Peel n Seal.
I've had it in half my Runner for going on 2 years and no problems with smell or it coming apart. I just had my door panals off and the Peel n Seal is still stuck like it was put on yesterday.
Now I gotta get around to putting it in the other half of my Runner, along with some carpet padding for the rear.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Still trying to find this stuff.

~castrol
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what to look for:

On the package it says distributed by:

CPI
Glenview, IL 60025

Quick Reply: Peel & Seal user feedback