Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Osram sliverstars or Philips vision plus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osram sliverstars or Philips vision plus?

Sorry, i know, another bulb question but i already did a search on this and havent found an answer. Im going to order some new headlights and have read enough to know that these two are the best bulbs for people without hids but what I want which, if any, is better, or are they the same? I know both offer 50% more usuable light and all but does anyone know which performs better in the rain/fog?

edit: er on a semi related note, i'm also thinking of getting the philips premium for our accord and was wondering if anybody had any experiences with them, like overall performance and in the rain/fog again? thanks for the help

Last edited by Henryv; 12-10-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Here's an old Thread in case you didn't see it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...s&pagenumber=2

I ended up getting the Phillips Vision Plus for both of our Trucks and haven't regreted it one bit. They seem to put more useable light on the road than the Silverstars especially in wet weather.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I think I'll try the Vision Plus bulbs as well for both our cars. I tried the SilverStars and wasn't impressed by the light output or the cost.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
Here's an old Thread in case you didn't see it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...s&pagenumber=2

I ended up getting the Phillips Vision Plus for both of our Trucks and haven't regreted it one bit. They seem to put more useable light on the road than the Silverstars especially in wet weather.
THanks for the input and teh link but ive seen that thread already too. It seems htat most peopel with the silverstars have hte sylvania ones and i was wondering about hte osram ones. i was just wondering because I saw this on the powerbulbs site:

Osram Silver Star
5 Star award - Best Buy Award - Beam: 96.9m

"The flagship bulb in Osram's range, the Silverstar's 75m figure was only a fraction better than that of arch-rival Philips (right), but it performed significantly better at 50m. Add a price advantage, and the Osram's plus 50 per cent competitor is our Best Buy."

Philips Vision Plus
4 Star award - Recommended Award - Beam: 95.1m

"It's behind Osram's finest, but Philips' top-of-the-range option is a superb bulb which performed comfortably ahead of the plus 30% premium versions. You just cannot ignore the performance, which is why the Vision Plus merits our Recommended award."

However they do not mention how they compare in the rain/fog but from what you're saying I think I'm going to go for the vision plus. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

FYI, Osram is part of Sylvania. Osram usually markets outside of the U.S., while Sylvania is the USDM name. Company name is SylvaniaOsram. They both market the same SilverStar bulbs.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:12 AM
CTB

Where have y'all been buying the Philips Vision Plus bulbs from? and about how mcuh are they?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:09 AM

CTB:

Here ya go...

http://powerbulbs.com/
Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 AM
CTB

Originally posted by pfdaxe
CTB:

Here ya go...

http://powerbulbs.com/
Cool, thanks pfdaxe. Man, these bulbs have to come from the UK?

So, there are no auto parts stores in the US that carry the Philips Vision Plus? Ahh, now I see...aparrently the Vision Plus bulbs are only available in Europe.

I'm assuming there is no wiring/electrical issues by upgrading to the Vision Plus bulbs, right? (since they say thay emit up to 50% more useable light)

Last edited by CTB; 12-11-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:13 AM

I have tried both Sylvania Silverstars as well as Sylvania Osram. And I can tell you for sure that OSRAMs are not that much brighter than stock. They emit a little more white than stock, but definitely not 50%!

As you can see in my signature, I went back to Sylvania Silverstars and couldn't be happier. Silverstars are whiter, brighter, last longer and cost less.

-- Andrey
Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
FYI, Osram is part of Sylvania. Osram usually markets outside of the U.S., while Sylvania is the USDM name. Company name is SylvaniaOsram. They both market the same SilverStar bulbs.
Yup but from what i read i think the sylvania ones have a blue coating on the bulbs whereas the osram ones dont.

Originally posted by Andrey
I have tried both Sylvania Silverstars as well as Sylvania Osram. And I can tell you for sure that OSRAMs are not that much brighter than stock. They emit a little more white than stock, but definitely not 50%!
Wow I wuolda thought the orsrams would be better. Oh well guess I'll be getting the vision plus for sure then. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CTB
So, there are no auto parts stores in the US that carry the Philips Vision Plus? Ahh, now I see...aparrently the Vision Plus bulbs are only available in Europe.
I've seen them at PepBoys & AutoZone, so they are available in the U.S.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
CTB

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
I've seen them at PepBoys & AutoZone, so they are available in the U.S.
Sweet, thanks for the tip!