95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Options to look for on a new Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options to look for on a new Tacoma

Well the title says it all...

I decided to call the dealership after drooling over a double cab taco this weekend. We're still just in the talking stages, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

here's what I know so far:

2004 D-cab Taco SR5 4x4
3.4L v6/AT
TRD package w/265/70/16's and diff lock
Hi-4 selector switch
color-keyed bumpers
tilt wheel
intermittent wipers
stereo/cass/cd
A/C
Power windows/locks/mirrors
sliding rear window
bedliner (plastic, not line-x)
class IV tow hitch

Sticker was $27,790, sale priced at 23,499

5800 miles, sales manager has been driving it as a demo for 5 or so months.

Anything else I should look for?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:40 PM

Everything looks OK except for the plastic bedliner. Why would you want that?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

The plastic liner is probably not a keep/no keep option.

I can't think of anything to look out for outside the usual - fluids change, etc.
Sounds like you're getting a great deal Tom
Old 03-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

uummm you might want to really check this rig out before you buy it. Back in the day I used to sell Toyotas, and I pretty much would tear into the demo. It would come off the truck with 1 mile, and I would be flooring it out of the parking lot. Driving through DC hitting every single pot hole, not caring at all. Letting my girlfriend at the time learn how to drive stick on it. Basically just abusing it, b/c I knew it was toyota and it would still look and sound brand new at 5K miles when I had to turn it in for my next one.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah the bedliner is probably something I'd want to get rid of. I'm not sure if they would knock any off the price if I told them I didn't want it, but its worth a shot.

Interesting note on the demo abuse... I'd definitely look it over but I'm not sure that stuff would be too obvious. The import manager has been driving it, hopefully he's been kind. At least it would be under full warranty!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tom,

why get rid of the 4runner!?!!? your 4runner is a nice piece of machinery. wait...are you hauling corn now? (ok, that was the last lame corn joke/reference...i promise)

id say screw the bed liner too. ive seen plenty of rusted beds.

also, see if you can have them certify it. it easily falls within the range of the certified criteria---unless theres frame or extensive body damage. check your PM.

what happened to the gat? did you end up buying it? did you buy the homeboy nite sites for it too?

bob
Old 03-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Can not certify it .. the rig is still under manufacterer warranty. It has never been titled to anyone and its under 6500 miles, so it gets sold as a new car. The only god thing is that your 3/36k mile warranty starts at the current odo. reading
Old 03-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks sdastg1, I was about to type the same thing - its being sold as a new car. That's great that the warranty starts with the current odo reading.

Bob - what PM?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tom and sd:

ah yeah, thats right. i am in my own world today.

tom: i didn't send the PM b/c of the above. also, see if you can get an extended warranty thrown in. just some FYI: typically 3rd party extended warranty insurance costs in the $300 range. as for toyota warranties (which im sure they buy from a 3rd party co), i have not a clue. but it should not deviate too much from this figure nor should you pay $1000 like my mom once did.

bob
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Well I talked to the dealership earlier. Doesn't sound like they want to budge on their price. However they did come up in their trade amount to $11,700, where originally they were saying $9200-11,000. That would leave me a difference of $11,799. BTW I have 93,000 miles on my 4Runner.

Personally I don't care where the numbers come from, they could give me a dollar for my trade as long as they mark the truck down accordingly. They're getting close, but they aren't winning me yet. I'd probably give serious thought to a difference of $11,500.

Anyway, I still need to convince the wife that there's enough space in the back of a double cab, I know she's concerned about that coming from a 4Runner. But hey, I gain a bed right? She also wants to make sure there'd be enough room for a child seat back there without jamming someone's knees up against the dashboard. Not that we need one right now, but we probably would before it would be time to get rid of a truck. I did drive one this morning though and really liked it.

Oh, and re: extended warranties: I had also asked about them, and was quickly told that it is a Toyota factory warranty, not farmed out, it would go to 6 yrs/100K miles. And it would cost around $1700 I imagine it is just like the certified used warranties. I may try to work that in to a deal as well, but not for that kind of money. They should have TONS of room on warranties.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Tom-

Did I miss something? Please tell me you aren't trading your rig in! And if you are, what about the mods?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Its a possibility, I guess...I'm actually surprised its gone this far in the negotiations. I never really planned on trading it in, but it would be a step up I think.

As far as mods go, some I'd be able to sell off I guess, some would have to go with it. I think it would be fun to start fresh, the 2nd time around you get a chance to learn from past mistakes!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did something change on the warranty? I always thought that the clock started on the day it was placed into service, including demos. That's especially important for the "Adjustments" portion of the warranty for things like wheel balance and alignment covered for 12/20K, whichever comes first.

BTW, demo is short for demolition, though collision damage repairs over $XXX must be disclosed depending on the state, but not mechanical repairs. I'd never buy either a demo or a former rental car. Some of mine spent a good portion of their lives on a road racing circuit, the hardest miles imaginable for any car. Lease cars are OK with a documented service history.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure I read in some Toyota documentation somewhere (just can't put my finger on it right now) that warranty coverage started when the vehicle was put in to service when sold as new. Since it hasn't been sold yet, those miles shouldn't count against the warranty - but its definitely worth double checking.

Were you being sarcastic in the demolition thing? I'm 100% sure in this case demo means demonstration, not demolition.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:43 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yes he was being sarcastic..

i have to say, i would buy a demo car if it appeared to me to be in great shape. its hard to ruin a toyota.

i love my runner, the person who had it before me did a fantastic job taking care of her - interior was spotless and the exterior had normal little scratches here and there... what youd expect to find on an almost 50k mile car.

i admit i was a little worried about buying used, but its been great so far and wont worry so much next time around
Old 03-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Missing Options?

I've got a similar setup to what your getting only ext. cab rather than double.
The only options I thought were missing (and I'm sure will be extra $$$) was:
keyless entry and cruise control

you may not care about either of these but if you do it is best to get them
when you initially purchase your truck, not as an after thought later.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks jwahaus, I just checked over the sticker (they faxed it to me) and they are in fact included as part of the convenience package.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Thanks jwahaus, I just checked over the sticker (they faxed it to me) and they are in fact included as part of the convenience package.
I bought mine new and didn't even notice that it didn't have cruise control
until I went to use it on a long trip. I'm looking around for it and
I'm thinking... :wtf:

I was used to Honda's where everything is standard equipment.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 PM

Hmm... sounds like an OK deal. I'd wait until Toyota starts offering larger rebates on the current 2004 models. I got my Limited TRD d-cab for $23,900 (MSRP: $28K) after rebates and sold my 2000 4Runner for $19000.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

What rebates did you get? The double cab is not included in the current offers of 0% financing or $1000 cash back.

Quick Reply: Options to look for on a new Tacoma